hCG Diet...

Options
Okay, don't chew my head off! I don't get on the message boards as much as I'd like so I'm sure this has been up here before... Has anyone done or know someone who has done the hCG diet? How did you/they do?

I know there are a lot of opinions out there about this diet. I used to have mine and thought that of course, anyone eating 500 calories/day is going to lose weight... duh! But I researched more about it and how it actually works and it doesn't seem like a bad idea.

I've read that it also teaches your body to maintain on smaller portions and less calories. So you develop healthy eating habits along the way.

Replies

• LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    The hCG diet is an ill advised fad and I'd recommend you reconsider trying it. Conversations about the hCG diet do not go well and mods shut them down quickly. People have some very strong opinions about the diet, myself included. If you really researched it and have come to the conclusion that it "doesn't seem like a bad idea', it's because you're reading and believing propaganda that is not backed by solid science. Please go to more credible sources. You will not find a single quality scientific article that indicates that hCG does anything for weight loss.

You do not need to starve to lose weight. Please spare yourself and those around you the discomfort. Please spare yourself the potential health problems.
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    You don't need any drops to lose weight. People who do HCG eat 500 calories. This is a starvation diet that results in weight loss because... well, because they starve themselves, not because of any miracle drops. And eventually your body will fight back and do anything it can to keep your fat to survive. It is a horrible idea. Don't permanently damage your body, just treat it well and it will do great things for you. Eat a healthy diet and exercise and you will see 10x better results. You can learn healthy habits by making small changes and not putting your body through hell.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Just for comparison, 500 calories per day is around what an anorexic person might eat. It clearly does not teach them healthier eating habits.
  • AEDeb
    AEDeb Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Don't try it. I received info from Tom Venuto and Dr. Oz and both speak highly against it. It used to be a big craze in the 60's and it's out there again. The US FDA or whatever has removed it from the market because it hasn't been proven to work. I know many people who have used it and yes, they lost weight, but it will rebound in a very big way. It is setting a person up for starvation and it reduces the metabolism so low that it would be impossible not to gain it back. To successfully lose weight, a person should find out their maintenance level of calories and go 20% lower to slowly shave it off without going into starvation mode. Then, exercise will burn even more off. That's the only successful way.

Deb
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I've known a lot of people who have done it and I wouldn't call any of them successes. You're better off with MFP. If you want more info PM me and I'll give you the whole story.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,096 Member
    Options
    This thread will be locked soon. Don't waste your time arguing here.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Okay, don't chew my head off! I don't get on the message boards as much as I'd like so I'm sure this has been up here before... Has anyone done or know someone who has done the hCG diet? How did you/they do?

I know there are a lot of opinions out there about this diet. I used to have mine and thought that of course, anyone eating 500 calories/day is going to lose weight... duh! But I researched more about it and how it actually works and it doesn't seem like a bad idea.

I've read that it also teaches your body to maintain on smaller portions and less calories. So you develop healthy eating habits along the way.

any diet that has you eat less than 1200 calories, and says not to workout while on it is a bad idea. Most people who do the diet do lose weight but a large portion of that loss comes from muscle, not fat. which lowers your metabolism making it easier to gain the weight back if you return to eating "normal".

The best and most likely to stay off, weight loss comes from slow and steady loss that includes a modest caloric deficit and exercise.
  • JujiBean
    JujiBean Posts: 187
    Options
    I did it in the 80's. Waste of money. They put me on a 600 calorie per day diet with daily HCG shots. Yes, I got to 110 lbs, but would have gotten there with the diet anyway.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Eating healthy and exercise is probably a better idea yes? You learn better eating habits that way, keep more muscle, get to eat more, and have energy.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options

It's pure self sabotage all the way.
    Everybody is looking for the easy, fast way, and all hCG will do is enrich the scammers who sell and market this trash diet.

You've been warned.
  • tinalatina
    tinalatina Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Bumpity Bump BUMP! ^^^^
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    It's also against mfp community guidelines to discuss:

No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders

1. a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.

15. Divisive Topics Are Better Suited For Groups, Not the Main Forums
    Divisive topics, particularly those that seek input from or are relevant only to a select group of users, are better placed within an appropriate Group rather than the Main Forums
  • JujiBean
    JujiBean Posts: 187
    Options
    I think if you read carefully, you'll see there is not a single supporter of he HCG Diet. This is a good and informative thread. Might stop people from pursuing this after they read the thread.

edited for spelling
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    I did it and lost about 112 lbs, I have gained back about 6 lbs in the past 2 months but that is due to muscle gain, I am lifting weights. I also lost inches and have a much tighter body.

I have said this before on other HCG threads, I used it as an alternative to weight loss surgery. I treated it that way too, so I followed it exactly without any cheats at all. It is very difficult and if you don't follow it properly you are setting yourself up for failier and a high possibility of gaining it all back.

I do believe it works, but I would never want to do it again. It was just way too hard and I think that is why I work so hard now not to gain it all back :flowerforyou:

before HCG I ate about 800 calls/day trying to lose weight and just couldn't.
    I started in 11/2010
    DSCN01241.jpgDSCN0072.jpg

I stopped about 6 months ago and I now I eat an average of 2400 cals/day and burn an average of 300 cals/day. I work out 6 days/week and lift 3 days.
    Most recent photo was taken yesterday at the gym:
    IMG_1672small.jpgIMG_16712.jpg

my diary is open if you would like to check it out. I am eating at a very high protein intake as I am lifting at this time, so I change my ratios protein/carb/fat from time to time to achieve my goals.

Again I would not recommend it unless you don't have any other options, as it is very difficult and if you can't follow it exactly you are setting yourself up for failure. The cheats work for dropping the pounds, but hinder in the maintenance phase.

Good luck sweetie :flowerforyou:
  • MrObundles
    MrObundles Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Bump for later!:happy:
  • vintagedutchgirl
    vintagedutchgirl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have done the HCG diet and it is NOT worth it in the long run!! I started it about 2 years ago and only need to lose about 25 lbs. Well I lost the weight and then went off of it and did all the recommended steps to go back to "normal" eating and gained all the weight back plus about 65 lbs!! Which is why I'm on here now trying to lose the weight the healthy way!! The HCG diet is a rip! It will give you quick results but being able to keep it off is a whole other story! Message me if you have any questions.
  • jowings
    jowings Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Eating healthy and exercise is probably a better idea yes? You learn better eating habits that way, keep more muscle, get to eat more, and have energy.

Straight Up
  • Chowder_17
    Chowder_17 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    The military has banned it...It's not good for you.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Don't do it...why reek havoc on your metabolism. I know personally of five people that did it and gained every drop and more back. One person was so weak from it, she couldn't hardly walk down the street. God created us to survive and you body will do whatever it takes to do so...so starvation mode you will go into and you will loose muscle and when you start eating your body will hold on to the fat.

Just do what works...eat healthy, reduce calories a bit and work out!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options

You do NOT develop healthy eating habits when a program advices 500 calories per day.

I willingly echo another poster.. this is not an MFP-recognized ideal....

Please talk with your doctor about your individual situation if you are going to consider weight loss and to learn what would be right for you.
This discussion has been closed.