Upper glutes/hips exercises

Options
What are good exercises to build mass on my upper glutes/hips? Cant do dead lifts b/c my back is shot from years of showjumping (horses) so I need something not as straining on my low back. Already doing squats (heavy and going low), lunges wth one leg raised and walking lunges...what else???

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
  • fit4everyoung
    Options
    bump!
  • dmg16duke
    dmg16duke Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Single leg squats
    Transverse lunges (lunge with your back leg crossed behind like a curtsey)
    Lunge and reach to the floor (keep your back leg completely straight for this, bend your front leg and reach toward the floor and then push back up tall).
    Also, use a resistance band to push your leg back, to the side, in a circle, etc
  • Ariana_75
    Ariana_75 Posts: 224
    Options
    Single leg cable kickbacks are awesome to build the upper shelf! =)
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Fitness magazine this month has a great article and several exercises in it that talk about the effectiveness of each move.

I have been doing Brazilian Butt Lift for this area due to some weakness as a runner, I've been very impressed with the program.
  • Tasha_Star
    Options
    I do hip thrusts as well, forgot that...might need to go heavier though...think im selling myself short on my thrusting abilities! and yes i should start cable kick backs....good idea...also today tried doing one leg push down on the gravatron machine going higher than a 90 degree angle wth the leg pushing down...felt it in the upper *kitten*/hips...
  • Tasha_Star
    Options

that page is awesome! thx!!!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    The lower back can make this difficult. One thing I would suggest is walking lunges with as long of a stride as you can take and make sure you go down until your knee touches. Moderate weight for like 8-10 reps 4 - 5 sets is good and if done right you'll be surprised as to how much these hit your glutes and hammies. I would suggest wide-stance Good Mornings but those are probably out of the question because of your back. Deep wide stance Back Squats can be good too but again, the back issue might be limiting.

I have a lower disc issue myself and I have been able to do Sumo Deadlifts, you may want to try these. I can do them with no discomfort in my back. There are good videos on YouTube.
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Galletakek
    Options
    well that website pretty much has all of them lol ;).
  • Tasha_Star
    Options
    The lower back can make this difficult. One thing I would suggest is walking lunges with as long of a stride as you can take and make sure you go down until your knee touches. Moderate weight for like 8-10 reps 4 - 5 sets is good and if done right you'll be surprised as to how much these hit your glutes and hammies. I would suggest wide-stance Good Mornings but those are probably out of the question because of your back. Deep wide stance Back Squats can be good too but again, the back issue might be limiting.

I have a lower disc issue myself and I have been able to do Sumo Deadlifts, you may want to try these. I can do them with no discomfort in my back. There are good videos on YouTube.

Thank you!!
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options

Best answer right here, you look like a perv but you will build huge strength.