*How Many Cal's*

Options
So I'm new to all of this and I was wondering how many Calories should I consume a day to lose weight? I'm 5'5 and 173 lbs mainly in the hips butt region. (Some belly) I have been doing situps/lunges/squats for 15 min's a day and running on the treadmill 20 mins daily. (Just started this week hope to increase the time week by week) I don't work just take care of the house.. you know cook & clean & walk the doggies. So what should I be eating daily? And what should be my ideal weight?

Replies

• therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and my goal is size 8. Whatever weight that will be, will be. But it will probably be about 140.

Set MFP to lose 2lbs per week. And eat what MFP tells you. Eat your exercise calories or most of them.

What to eat? Eat what you normally eat but cut your portion size and add lots of fruit and veggies to start until you get the hang of things. Try to start cutting out the processed foods.

When you get comfortable with what you are doing, your choices should be fruit and veggies and lean proteins.
  • jmvmisc24
    jmvmisc24 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I am the same size you are. Really you can chose what size makes you happy. I want to get down to 140 and a size 7 to 9. When you excercise make sure you keep your exercise varied. Don't just run/jog/walk. your muscles have a memory that they can get used to. I have started doing zumba, p 90 x, gym, and walking/jogging.
  • xoxofelicia
    Options
    Thanks ladies! I'm basically going to go by pant size. Heck I didn't even own a scale til 2 weeks ago! Lol. I just read somewhere on here that I should eat over 1200 cals so I wasn't sure. Right now I've been staying right around that.. I think I should eat more of my exercise calories..but I want to lose!! LOL When I'm on the tredmill I will jog/run/jog you know switch it up. This is basically my 1st week exercising EVER! So I'm just trying to adjust to it! I want to get the p90x but it's sooo expensive :(
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    You and I are the same height...and I was 175 when I started my journey. I went to a nutritionist..and she had me at about 1200. After a few months..I went to 1500..I started to gain..So for me1350 was a good number. I work out about 6 days a week.

And since you have PCOS..if you did a Primal/Paleo diet.there is no need to really count calories..just dont do process carbs/pasta/grains...and you should be good.

Carbs in fruit is ok..The target for carbs is 50-100 for effortless weight loss
  • xoxofelicia
    Options
    Thanks for the advice.. it's just so hard to cut the carbs... :( Pasta I'm good with cutting (hardly eat it anyways) I just HATE just about every vegetable there is... *ugh* So what would I eat then? I'm going to look on amazon for a primal book!
  • vballscriscuolo
    vballscriscuolo Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies! I'm basically going to go by pant size. Heck I didn't even own a scale til 2 weeks ago! Lol. I just read somewhere on here that I should eat over 1200 cals so I wasn't sure. Right now I've been staying right around that.. I think I should eat more of my exercise calories..but I want to lose!! LOL When I'm on the tredmill I will jog/run/jog you know switch it up. This is basically my 1st week exercising EVER! So I'm just trying to adjust to it! I want to get the p90x but it's sooo expensive :(

Another thing is try ellipticals and bikes too!! that is if you like the treadmill! Because you burn more on a bike/elliptical then a treadmill and it helps you to use different muscles as well. Because even with the intervals of jogging to running your body will get used to it and you'll see a slow in progress so variety is important too :) Also, try to use some stationary weight machines to use for arms and abs...that will help "trick" your muscles too!!

You don't have to cut carbs out either! I understand the veggie thing because I'm there too kind fo.....I only like broccolli, cauliflower and carrots to be realiztic and occassionaly green beans.....one way I actually LOVE cauliflower and broccolli is with parmesan cheese, oregano and olive il roasted in the oven.......I SWEAR you would enjoy it!!!! Or carrots with some unsalted butter and brown sugar too! Both combos make it so that you can't really tell that they're veggies sort of!

Also nuts are big with carbs, proteins and some good fats too so you could eat some of those too if you like them! I personally am addicted to cashews haha!

Follow more or less what MFP says for calories and you should be ok! Mine used to be 1,200 and I felt hungry all the time so I changed my weight loss goals and it rose to almsot 1,400 and I feel much better!