Calling all CARB Kings and Queens?

Options
I love, love, LOVE carbs. I love pasta, I love bread, I could eat cereal for every meal. Fruit is my "all natural" food of choice, and a typical snack is a low-fat, high carb yogurt or granola bar. I am all about calorie counting when it comes to weight-loss, but I realize that carbs play a role too (along with various other things). On top of loving carbs, I'm not much of a meat-eater and I know I lack protien, which helps keep you full. So I eat a lot of pasta and bread products which are filling. I always choose the whole grain or whole wheat items, but still. I need other carb lovers to exchange ideas with! Carb kings and queens, add me and we can work on this naughty habit together!

Replies

• Savagegirlt
    Options
    Oh goodness.... I love my carbs too. I have over the past few months began weeding it out of my diet, but can't let go entirely. I love my meat though and so with that protein I get a lot of 'fullness' in my diet. I found that it helps to use the natural carbs (fruits, veggies), then if I must indulge I'll have some whole wheat something or other. And if THAT doesn't help, I drink a glass of water and wait 10 mins. And when all else fails I'll eat my cookie/potato/pasta/carb of choice :P
  • juls262
    juls262 Posts: 41
    Options
    Carbs are heavenly! I love love love bread! And potatoes, and pasta, and anything that's stuffed with a lovely bunch of carbs :) I don't have a ton of ideas on how to reduce this problem... or habit, but we can figure it out together! I definitley need to kick the habit!
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Half of your diet should come from carbs, keep up the good work, just try to add some protein, eggs, chicken, cheese, it doesn't take much to balance things out!! Glad you're here.
  • Rogue9613
    Options
    Look for carbs that are high fiber, low sugar. Helps keep you full, and it's definitely healthier. The main problem people have with high carb diets is that it causes more cravings, inflammation and water retention, so you look and weigh heavier than you actually are. I've varied between no-carb and all-carb diets, and have finally settled at a happy median. If you can, definitely try to get more protein in your diet.. since you don't care for meat, try sourcing your protein from dairy products or protein shakes/supplements.
  • amywatkin
    Options
    I love bread and pasta! I try to make good choices with seeded breads and wholewheat pasta but I know I eat far too many carbs, for me I think it has a lot to do with it being quick and easy to grab a sandwich or toast (my biggest weakness!). I need to try and be more prepared with my meals I think!
  • starryskies89
    starryskies89 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I love Carbs!! I could eat potatoes, bread or pasta with every meal. I love muffins, granola bars and pizza. Any carb will do. I do like protein though, I enjoy most foods but carbs always have a special place in my food heart...haha I think it's really about limiting calories though and eating more protein rich foods. I see nothing wrong with yogurt or granola bars... add in almonds or walnuts and some cheese for protein. Find a veggie you like and eat that...really it doesn't have to be rainbow, just find some healthy things you can enjoy and stick to that.
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Carbs are by far my FAVORITE! Could eat nothing but carbs all day every day!
  • tlp148
    tlp148 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Carbs are by far the hardest thing for me to reduce. I have realized that as I replace many carbs with lean proteins and fruits/veggies I am having less and less cravings for them. In the past few weeks I have really only had one Carb Craving. I still eat sufficient carbs daily and have lots of room for improvement. This is obviously an area that I will always be working on.
  • cheninaerin
    Options
    so i think you and i are twins.
  • eileen7316
    eileen7316 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I know it goes against *popular* thinking, but carbs keep me full longer. A nice amount of pasta (with vegetables and protein, of course) will keep me full until the next meal. I'm not much of a snacker.
  • cleach29
    Options
    same here - i can't live w/o carbs!
  • aNEWuNme
    Options
    Half of your diet should come from carbs, keep up the good work, just try to add some protein, eggs, chicken, cheese, it doesn't take much to balance things out!! Glad you're here.

I do like eggs and chicken... and I'm pretty good about buying lower fat cheese. "Balancing" my food choices is definately one of my longer-term goals.
  • aNEWuNme
    Options
    I know it goes against *popular* thinking, but carbs keep me full longer. A nice amount of pasta (with vegetables and protein, of course) will keep me full until the next meal. I'm not much of a snacker.

I think so too!!! A cup of whole wheat pasta with veggies and a little ricotta or something keeps me far more satisfied than a salad,. And when I'm satisfied, I don't crave all those salty or sweet snacks between meals.
  • aNEWuNme
    Options
    Well carb lovers, I hate to say it, but after assessing all of your feedback... I think that carbs will forever haunt us. But, on the bright side, it sounds like you'll crave them less and less as you cut back on them.
  • jamja72
    jamja72 Posts: 192
    Options
    me and pizza go hand in hand....
  • sweet_lotus
    sweet_lotus Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I think carbs are so vilified because it's easy to overdo on the simple carbs.

But the way you eat carbs is fine. Whole-grain carbs as part of a balanced meal is a great way to get fiber and micronutrients.

Just don't listen to the carb haters. ;)
  • LauraSmyth28
    LauraSmyth28 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I'm a total carb addict and I do worry that it's so unhealthy. My favourite is potatoes but love pasta, rice, bread too.

I could (and have) eat nothing BUT carbs. I try to eat eggs and chicken as much as possible but I really don't like meat.

The problem with carbs for me is, eating a lot of them can make you carry weight on your belly area, which is my problem area. I'd love to try the Atkins diet, but I did it for half a day once and almost fainted. I'm way too addicted!

Nice to know I'm not the only one :flowerforyou:
  • zombiemusicangel
    Options
    I am definitely among friends here! I have never been a big meat eater, but it really depends strongly on my hormone cycles. Thank god for apps that track that info! I have devised a method that has helped me out a bit however...I've dropped a few pounds spreading my carb-heavy meals out. The trouble with carbs (this is from a few sources that I feel are trustworthy) is that the release of insulin tells your body to stop burning fat and start storing fat. When I work out, I don't have carbs for 2 hours on either side. That means eggs, protein shake, cottage cheese with veggies, etc for breakfast on workout days. Rest days or evening workout days I make some fruit filled whole grain or oatmeal pancakes. I live for those days.

On am workout days, I also have a carb heavy lunch. It has to be at least 2-3 hours after my workout. That is my time to have a wheat bread sandwich, some Trader Joe's Indian Fare with whole grain naan, some thai noodles with fish or a slice or two of pizza. Dinner? I try to make sure that even with carbs they aren't the main focus. Lasagna roll ups were last week, so it was a lot of part skim dairy. (I stayed away from dairy the rest of the day). That may not work for everyone, but I feel better with this method. I don't have to resort to eliminating my favorites - but I definitely don't crave them as much.

Now if I can stop finishing the night at happy hour with beer and appetizers, the weight should come falling off a lot faster!

Thanks for starting this post - I have had a long journey. Its great to read stuff from people who are going through the same struggles as I am!
  • jzaz903
    jzaz903 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    it's amazing how alike we all are.. i feel like i couldn't go a day without carbs, but i could go weeks without meat and not even know i wasn't eating it!