Don't like Veggies

Options
I need recipes that don't have veggies or that have very few veggies. I truly believe that if I liked veggies, I might not be in the weight I am. I only like salads, broccoli, green and yellow beans, carrots, peas, corn, lima beans. Don't tell me to try the others again. I have and I still can't eat them without gagging. Most diet recipes consist of lots of veggies and mostly the ones I don't like. Any one have any recipes that could help me?

Replies

• nichol61480
    Options
    I'm not sure what types of lettuce you like for salads but I just added a recipe for spinach/arugula pizza for one

Ingredients

1 100% whole wheat tortilla (taco size 100-120 calories)
    1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
    1 tablespoon Ragu Homestyle Pizza Sauce
    1/4 cup low moisture park skim shredded mozzarella cheese
    1 cup baby spinach and arugula blend
    1 tablespoon Ken’s Light Options Italian with Romano and Red Pepper
    black pepper to taste

Instructions

Heat saute pan over medium heat
    Brush oil on both sides of tortilla
    Place tortilla in pan and brown on both sides (about 2 minutes each side.) Tip: Poke bubbles that may form with a toothpick
    Remove tortilla from pan and reduce heat to low
    Spread pizza sauce on one side of tortilla and evenly top with mozzarella.
    Place back in pan and cover-just until cheese is melted
    Remove from pan to plate. Top with spinach/argula, Ken’s dressing and black pepper.

Serving size: 1 Calories: 275 Protein: 13 Cholesterol: 20
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Keep trying them.... Our tastes change so what you didn't like a month/week ago you may like now.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I just buy bags of frozen veggies and heat them in the microwave
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I just buy bags of frozen veggies and heat them in the microwave

I love those too. You can get them plain but I mostly like the ones that already have saucy deliciousness in the bag.

I also like making a big casserole of baked pasta with veggies mix in. If it's covered in sauce and cheese, I barely notice it. :-)
  • RobynDCrossman
    Options
    I guess the question is what veggies DON'T you like?
  • stacey76
    stacey76 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with ya...If I liked that sorta stuff I probably wouldn't be over weight either...I hate fruits even more! The only fruit I can make myself eat every now and then is bananas and apples THATS IT! I hate lettuce and make myself eat salad but end up covering it with tons of dressing, croutons and everything possible...not not so healthy anymore..it's hard to eat healthy and I HATE water. Even with trying to use crystal ight, milo or any other water flavoring mix...blah...but hang in there cuz if I can find a way to lose weight not eating as "healthy" as I should then you can to!!!
  • Nik_Marie
    Options
    I don't know an exact recipe but I do know that not all veggie lasagnas are bad. I actual enjoy some of them and I'm not a big fan of a lot of veggies.
  • applejacks1552
    Options
    I understand where you are coming from because I'm not a big veggie fan either and I would honestly like to find more ways to eat them. Not everyone gets it. If you have tried something several times and really don't like it, then it's not so simple as "keep trying it" or "just eat it".

For you is it more the taste or the texture?

For me it's both to some degree, but more so the texture. One great trick is to get a good blender like the Ninja and puree veggies into things you do like. For example, while I can somewhat tolerate spinach in a salad or gag it down when cooked, when I puree it into a smoothie both taste and texture are eliminated and it goes down smooth! Califlower can be pureed into mashed potatoes with little notice. Beans, carrots, broccoli, and celery can be pureed into soups and chili. So far that has been my best strategy for sneaking in the veggies. Even salsa, don't like it chunky, but puree it and I'm totally in love. Go figure. People think I'm crazy and maybe I am, but certain textures gag me. I even cut the stalky parts out of my romaine lettuce.
  • heykatieben
    heykatieben Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    See if you can find a raw foods (or even vegan) restaurant near you, or next time you go to a big city. :) I LOVE raw foods because raw food chefs are absolutely amazing at making vegetables insanely tasty :) My two cents is that veggies in most restaurants are bland and/or bad quality (iceberg lettuce salad, anyone?), but people would like them more if they were prepared properly.

I'm not a raw foodist - I eat meat - but I got into raw foods because it's a great way to find tasty veggies.
  • heykatieben
    heykatieben Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Another idea: try indian restaurants, and get vegetarian meals. The veggies you listed are often used in Indian dishes. Find the veggie dishes you naturally crave, and eat those. Don't eat veggie dishes you don't like; find the ones you already do.

Edited to add - look for the veggie indian dishes with a curry/yellow sauce, not the red tomatoey sauce. You should be able to make those recipes with only the veggies you like. Also, you could easily make a veggie soup out of the veggies you listed.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    For someone who doesn't like veggies, you sure seem to like a lot of veggies.

Eat the ones you like, and eat a good amount of them every day. You'll be golden.
  • rebyekah
    Options
    I ditto the other post that said to try spinach in fruit smoothies. My 2 yr old nephew won't touch ANY vegetable, but my sister-in-law makes those and he has no idea. They are delicious and if she hadn't told me I wouldn't have known either.

You can probably make a decent chicken or veggie soup using most of those veggies. Just take a box of stock throw in what you do like, add egg noodles and season.

I steam a lot of those veggies and add them as a side to any meal. Steam-in-a-bag broccoli is always super easy.

Have you tried edamame? If you like lima beans you may like edamame.