The joys of women and upper arm fat

Options
Alright ladies. I need your help! Yes, I want to lose weight all over my body. However, for now I really want to focus on my arms. And mostly that lovely upper arm area where every calorie I intake seems to make a home for itself!
What exercises do you find most efficient for losing weight in that area and toning your arm muscles?

Replies

• JanineHarrison
    JanineHarrison Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I don't have an answer but I'm adding to the feed in hopes others will respond. I want to know some good ones too, But I also want to know if those that have had success losing arm fat have had left over skin issues? I really hope skin will snap back tight.
  • twanthe1
    twanthe1 Posts: 407
    Options
    Weight lifting - curls and arm flys.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Alright ladies. I need your help! Yes, I want to lose weight all over my body. However, for now I really want to focus on my arms. And mostly that lovely upper arm area where every calorie I intake seems to make a home for itself!
    What exercises do you find most efficient for losing weight in that area and toning your arm muscles?

Can't spot reduce. You can do curls all day, but if you dont rid the fat, it'll still jiggle. Cardio + moderate caloric deficit will do the trick.
  • Jessaustx
    Jessaustx Posts: 130
    Options
    Can't spot reduce. You can do curls all day, but if you dont rid the fat, it'll still jiggle. Cardio + moderate caloric deficit will do the trick.

I agree - but I've heard that before and after you do cardio if you work in some specific arm workouts, it will definitely assist in toning that specific area
  • TheGoblinRoad
    TheGoblinRoad Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    YOGA.

Specifically the poses that translate to what's called Downward-facing dog post and Upward-facing dog pose. Those really work the arms.
  • twanthe1
    twanthe1 Posts: 407
    Options

I agree - but I've heard that before and after you do cardio if you work in some specific arm workouts, it will definitely assist in toning that specific area

You have to do all three, cardio, caloric deficit, and strength training.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    There's an exercise machine at my gym called the "Sprint Torso" that is kind of like a stationary bike but your arms are peddling rather than your legs. It's definitely cardio, but you can increase the resistance and really work your arm muscles at the same time. It's helping me to lose fat and tone my arms all in one :)
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Using weights - biceps curls, triceps extensions and skull-crushers, press-ups, triceps dips....because they're such small muscles, you can see results quite quickly with your arms!
  • lucentabella
    lucentabella Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I find that resistance bands work great! They are very portable and inexpensive. You can do more than you think, especially when you incorporate different options like wrapping the band around a door and doing butterflies or wrapping the bands around a steady column to do rows. You might also try some standard light weights with lots of repition.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    You have to do all three, cardio, caloric deficit, and strength training.

This. Sadly your body chooses where and when the fat is going to come off and where of course it goes when you gain.
  • Jessaustx
    Jessaustx Posts: 130
    Options
    This. Sadly your body chooses where and when the fat is going to come off and where of course it goes when you gain.

Damn body. Mind of its own.
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options

Yep this. You can do as many curls as you want but it won't suddenly make you drop fat in your arms. Your body will gain and drop fat where it wants.
  • karizero
    karizero Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I do fast mini arm circles until I cant hold my arms up anymore every other day to keep my arms from jiggling.
  • ahjenny
    ahjenny Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I love tricep pushdowns.

You can't choose where the fat goes, but you can choose which muscles you strength train.
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    you can choose which muscles you strength train.

Hopefully all of them... Do you only brush a few of your teeth?
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

I was thinking the same thing. If you only train your triceps you'll have some really funny looking arms when you lose the fat.
  • ahjenny
    ahjenny Posts: 293 Member
    Options

It was meant more that if you're told you don't choose where the fat goes, you can choose where to train your muscles. As in, don't leave out any muscle groups just because you don't necessarily affect the fat stored there.
  • ohpilot
    ohpilot Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I found swimming made a huge difference in my arms. If I didn't hate the post-swim ravenous feeling so much I'd still do it on a regular basis. Now I just do lots of weight training.
  • LilytheMighty
    Options
    I have always been a bit self conscious about my arms. But they are starting to be lovely and muscular. For myself, it had to be taking full body weight- yoga was the biggest one. Do a few salute to the suns and you'll see. Pole dance made a diff and dancing and Zumba. Doing bollywood or belly dance basically means holding your arms up for an hour. But if it was one thing? Yoga! No amount of lifting free weights ever made my arms look like this. That's just me though and I do it multiple times a week.
  • bobogal
    Options
    Hi there, I do push ups against a wall at an angle. So I stand about half a metre away from the wall and put my hands on the wall so my body is at an incline and I do 20 push ups, I try to do them nightly but I actually do them when I remember. They are simple and seem to work for me.

Good luck!