Is it normal to lose very little/not at all the first few we

Options

Replies

• sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I felt like I gained the first few weeks and then suddenly I started losing. I think the extra muscle adds weight at first so try measuring instead of just weighing and there you may see results.
  • MrsJanay
    MrsJanay Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Try this:

Do not eat anything white! No white flour, noodles etc. Go to whole wheat and cut sugars.

My best friend has lost 65 pounds since Nov by doing this. And up your water.

This is also my method and I have lost 9 pounds in under 3 weeks
  • ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    i didn't lose at all for a month. i stuck with it, though, and i'm so glad i did. I ended up meeting my goal earlier than i thought i would, and i lost 29lbs in under 3 months. that is without losing those first 4 weeks, but after that, because i stuck to it, it fell off. KEEP AT IT!!! :smile:

ETA - For reference, I'm 31, 6' and started at 194, current weight (original goal weight) 165. Now i'm working towards 155!
  • x_biggirl
    Options
    Don't worry remember a loss is still a loss and you should be proud of the effort you are putting into the commitment. I lost 5 pounds my first week and only 1 pound my second week. I was disappointed with my second week result but have realised with all the exercise and lifestyle change I am committing too I will achieve success it just may take a little more time. Keep up with the good work and you will see the results
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    There may be nothing wrong or there may be something wrong. Open your diary and you will get more quality advice.

Ignore stuff like this 'Do not eat anything white! No white flour, noodles etc. Go to whole wheat and cut sugars. "
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    In my case my original weight is 183, doing regular 5 times a week workout, my weight it went up to 185.5 that's when i struggle on diet(because i see that i still eat over my calorie limit and get my calorie from wrong foods). Until after 4 weeks, i started to settle in my diet but keeping it below the limit and eating cleanly. So just this morning i weigh 182 lbs, that's 1 lbs less. So just give it some time and keep on going. you will see results after a month
  • Tivo8MyNeighbors
    Tivo8MyNeighbors Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the link to that article: http://www.dailyspark.com/blog.asp?post=why_the_scale_goes_up_when_you_start_a_new_workout_plan

It was very informative and helpful! :)
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I started nov 28 @ 163, went to158 by Dec 10th, and am now currently 158 and I can't tell a difference in the way my clothes fit... It's frustrating but I know I have been eating healthier and working out more so even though it is discouraging I'm going to keep doing it until i see results BC I am tired of being overweight and it's a healthy lifestyle change.
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way as you do.. I have realized that weight loss is very hard and frusterating for a person who has little patience anymore. (kids took it from me, LOL) Anyway, I am in the same boat.. been at it for almost 4 weeks.. Lost 6 gained back 1.8 and now I am at a 5.3 loss. I am still not on a downhill slide yet. I want to see immediate results, but I know it wont happen immediately. I have stopped weighing myself every day (just this week) and will now only weigh once a week. I am hoping that my confidence will start going up if I start seeing the results from a week instead of being discouraged about daily ups and downs.

Some of the things I am doing is.. I have doubled, almost tripled my water intake. I am logging all of my calorie intake and staying under my daily goals. I am trying to work out 5-6 days a week for 20-30 minutes. I use workout dvds such as Biggest Loser Calorie Knockout is my fave right now, Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds, and in Feb I plan on starting the 30 Day Shred as long as my dr allows me to.
  • twanthe1
    twanthe1 Posts: 407
    Options
    Everyone is different some loose fast others gradual - it depends on your metabolism sometime it needs a kick start then revs into high gear. I lost my first ten pounds in the first few days of working out - right now I have only lost 3 pounds or so in the past few weeks.
  • AnneGenevieveS
    AnneGenevieveS Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    new exercise sometimes makes muscle a little swollen and hold water. Keep at it. Usually by week 3 that evens out. Also, make sure you are counting everything you are eating accurately.

Hang in there! it'll happen for you!
  • laneybird
    laneybird Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    When I first started, I lost 8lbs the first week. That, ofcourse, was water weight. I didn't lose but 3 more lbs, making it 11lbs the first month. Try to drink more water, be consistant about logging ALL of your food and exercise. It will come off, just keep working on it.
  • Bjfavara
    Bjfavara Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I lost 5 lbs. my first week, too and now am in week 2 but how many have you lost in addition to the 1 lb. after the 5 lb.? It is much harder for me the second week. I think I expect to much. Any advice, please on how to keep going and not to get discouraged? Thanks.
  • Melmade
    Melmade Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I exercise regularly and usually lose about 3 lbs. per month. Are you using a measuring tape to track your progress as well? I usually lose inches consistently, more so than lbs. My first 10 lbs. correlated with 5 inches lost on my waist. You might also check out zig-zag dieting. That is a good way to rev up metabolism--many people on here have had great success with that. Good luck!
  • minnesota_deere
    minnesota_deere Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    your gaining muscle mass, from what i have researched, do not eat your calories burned while excersizing back. this will set you up for failure. think about it, there are roughly 3500 calories per pound of fat. for me i am supposed to eat 2000 calories per day just to survive. I workout and burn about 1000 calories. MFP wants me to eat my 2000 calories and my 1000 calories burned that puts me at 3000 calories. now the question is, when am i going to start losing weight? you won't because as you excersize you muscles are getting stronger and bigger and your getting more efficient in your workout, so now you have work out more in order to burn the same calories. and becuase you ate all the calories back your still at ground zero, plus now when you did finally hit your goal weight and want to step back from working out so much, you can't becuase your diet is very large and you would have to learn how to survive on 1400 calories. my plan is i learn to eat 1500 calories per day and burn 1000 calories, it takes me about 1 hr of fast walking with 4% incline. get a heart rate monitor and keep your heart rate in your recommended zones, for me it is 128-157. my peak fat burning HR is 135-145. I have lost 6 lbs my first week and am hoping for another 6 this week.
  • dutchjacky
    dutchjacky Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    my first 4 weeks I didnt lose anything, was exercising, doing weights and cardio but took pictures and used the tape measure. Its now been about 12 weeks since I started (8 on mfp) and have now lost 6 kilos but 20 cms just from my neck, waist and hips. I love that I have lost so many cms and am now doing the 30 day shred and after just 5 days I can see a bigger difference, looking forward to next fridays measurements after the first 10 days, Keep the faith and it will suddenly start to fall but remember the tape measure is a girls best friend.x
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    your gaining muscle mass, from what i have researched, do not eat your calories burned while excersizing back. this will set you up for failure. think about it, there are roughly 3500 calories per pound of fat. for me i am supposed to eat 2000 calories per day just to survive. I workout and burn about 1000 calories. MFP wants me to eat my 2000 calories and my 1000 calories burned that puts me at 3000 calories. now the question is, when am i going to start losing weight? you won't because as you excersize you muscles are getting stronger and bigger and your getting more efficient in your workout, so now you have work out more in order to burn the same calories. and becuase you ate all the calories back your still at ground zero, plus now when you did finally hit your goal weight and want to step back from working out so much, you can't becuase your diet is very large and you would have to learn how to survive on 1400 calories. my plan is i learn to eat 1500 calories per day and burn 1000 calories, it takes me about 1 hr of fast walking with 4% incline. get a heart rate monitor and keep your heart rate in your recommended zones, for me it is 128-157. my peak fat burning HR is 135-145. I have lost 6 lbs my first week and am hoping for another 6 this week.

It is you who are setting yourself up for failure. This is a big problem: "my plan is i learn to eat 1500 calories per day and burn 1000 calories". So you are planning to net 500 calories per day? Does that seem sensible to you?

You are misunderstanding how MFP works. The 2000 that MFP is giving you already includes a calorie deficit.

Your research is incomplete. Keep reading.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/474-unofficial-mfp-faq
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html
  • Dannosjourneytofit
    Dannosjourneytofit Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am so glad I am not the only one that is experiencing this. I have been tracking, working out, and drinking water. :ohwell:
  • Lorie66
    Lorie66 Posts: 66
    Options
    Sometimes you are loosing and not see it on the scales. Especially in the first few months..but you are loosing. Keep up with your measurments because that is where the true weight loss is...also you can be trading out fat for muscle and within time your numbers will start falling. Keep up the good work!
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I've put on this week after the gym! But I've lost another 2cm from my hips and 1cm from my waist. :-)
    Get measuring for those weeks when the scales don't show you what you need x