Figuring out serving sizes is making me want to break things

Options

Replies

• BoxingClever
    BoxingClever Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I stand by my first original thought: try weighing on saran wrap, then put to the measuring cup. You may be surprised. My scale acts so crazy if I 0 it out with anything on it. Don't know why, but it just messes it up.

Additionally, I'd always err on the side of caution: use the 1/4 c. and if it's less calories then so be it (maybe a bigger loss in the end). If it's more, though, then yikes....over time could mean a gain or less loss.

Here is 28g of cheese on saran wrap:

cheese2.jpg

Here is the same pile of cheese in the 1/4 cup measuring cup:

cheese.jpg
  • BoxingClever
    Options
    That definitely looks like 2-3oz of cheese. :P I WISH that was only 110 calories but it couldn't be as a simple cheese stick which is less cheese then that is 80 calories.

I think your scale is wonky or I've been screwing myself over for awhile. :mad:

There's nothing wrong with my scale. What's wrong are the units of measurement they're choosing to use for this crap. If it's not liquid, it shouldn't go in measuring cups. I would have to use a hydraulic press to get this 28g of cheese to fit in this damn cup. (okay, so I could probably do it by hand, but it would take quite a bit of effort)

And I understand the suggestion to "err on the side of caution" and just use the cup, but then I'm ingesting HALF the nutrients that I intended to, if indeed the weight is what equals the 110 calories. Why would I want to mark down 1/4 cup of cheese as 110 calories if it's only 50?

I guess what it boils down to is me just venting at this point. Whoever decided that solid objects should be measured in cups instead of by weight should be shot. I guess that concludes my case. Thanks for tuning in, everyone.
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    sorry, but this post is making me :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Me too! :laugh:
  • BoxingClever
    Options
    sorry, but this post is making me :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Me too! :laugh:

It really is hilarious, isn't it?
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... I measure out 7 grams of shredded cheese every single morning to go into my eggs... My scale has it as MUCH MUCH less then what your scale is showing!! Are you sure that your scale is correct? Maybe it is malfunctioning? I could easily fit 28 grams of shredded cheese in one of my 1/4 measuring cups.

Me too. I never get anywhere that much cheese when I measure 28g. And I measure and eat it almost every day.

I think I'm jealous...
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    See,this is why we UK peeps have such difficulty with cups as a measurement!

Weight, all the way. Grated or block, 1 oz cheese will still be the same on the scale.
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Weigh it.
    and for gawds sake just eat the cheese already before you make yourself crazy over each this whole thing!

ETA: Wait.......you're not new? So this is your first time eating cheese? :huh: In the 2 years you've been a member...no cheese?:glasses:
  • loseweightjames
    Options
    I've been having problems figuring out serving sizes ever since I started tracking, so I bought a scale. I'm making tacos tonight, and I wanted to figure out the servings of all the ingredients.

The serving size for the shredded cheese is 1/4 cup (28g). Out of curiosity, I weighed out the 28g IN the 1/4 cup measuring cup. As you can see in the photo, it's heaping and falling all over the place because it will not fit in the cup. It actually FILLED the 1/2 cup measuring cup, which would mean 28g is TWICE AS MUCH cheese as 1/4 cup. Even squishing it down wouldn't get it to fit in the 1/4 cup.

BRC2

So.....WHICH IS IT?? Which serving has 110 calories as the package states? Because obviously 28g has quite a few more calories than 1/4 cup. Why the hell can't they just make the serving sizes according to WEIGHT for everything that's not a liquid?? How the hell is anyone supposed to know how many calories they're consuming when the measurement system is so completely f**ked?? :explode:

OMG, this is beyond frustrating.

If I don't know or I'm eating a home cooked meal I didn't prepare I usually just pick something that's similar and guess.

Like if it's homemade tacos, I'd type in tacos to search and pick something that looks similar. I try to go on the high side with the calories and I'm sure I'm wrong sometimes but I'm not eating home cooked meals everyday so it's not a big deal.
  • I_get_fit
    I_get_fit Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Yup, just weigh everything.
  • MummyOfSeven
    MummyOfSeven Posts: 314 Member
    Options

And 'sticks' of butter! How much is a stick ffs?
  • thirtyandthriving
    thirtyandthriving Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Generally, I weigh solids and measure liquids. But
    Honestly i would check the batteries in your scale or something. I can look at that and tell you that is way more than 28g. For comparison I put some shredded cheese on a scale in a 1/4 c. It was a little over but not like yours.
  • AtomicLemon
    AtomicLemon Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    This makes me want to go get some cheese and weigh it. Then eat it. It really *is* frustrating though..
  • BoxingClever
    Options

And 'sticks' of butter! How much is a stick ffs?

I can't even imagine the frustration you folks have when you encounter this crap. It's absolutely ridiculous. I will never understand why we can't just use the metric system like the rest of the world.
  • poppadop89
    Options
    I would assume the 28g of shredded cheese would equate to 1/4 cup, melted.
  • BoxingClever
    Options
    Generally, I weigh solids and measure liquids. But
    Honestly i would check the batteries in your scale or something. I can look at that and tell you that is way more than 28g. For comparison I put some shredded cheese on a scale in a 1/4 c. It was a little over but not like yours.

Okay, all you people who are claiming that my scale is broken - how about you post some pictures of YOUR measurements, then?
  • thirtyandthriving
    thirtyandthriving Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    09fc51a4.jpg

Sorry that was blurry, but I'm not taking it again. ;)

e62b670e.jpg
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    cheese is usually in one ounce servings. I just weigh out my one ounce. And it is turkey taco night at my house too!
  • llamalauren
    llamalauren Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    maybe it's 1/4 before it is shredded?
  • BoxingClever
    Options
    the spoon you're using, is it also being weighed by the scale? I.e. did you put the spoon on the scale first then zeroed it out then put the cheese on there(getting only the weight of the cheese)??

I even weighed the cheese without the cup, and it was the same amount. The cup itself weighs more than 28g.
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    one stick of butter is 1/4 cup melted or softened.