Figuring out serving sizes is making me want to break things

Options

Replies

• dominique77
    dominique77 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Weigh it.
    and for gawds sake just eat the cheese already before you make yourself crazy over each this whole thing!

ETA: Wait.......you're not new? So this is your first time eating cheese? :huh: In the 2 years you've been a member...no cheese?:glasses:

:D:D nice reply, Made my day! :). ... Really dude you are too angry over 28g of cheese... Just cut it out all together :)
  • thirtyandthriving
    thirtyandthriving Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    cheese is usually in one ounce servings. I just weigh out my one ounce. And it is turkey taco night at my house too!

28g=1oz
  • BoxingClever
    BoxingClever Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    09fc51a4.jpg

Sorry that was blurry, but I'm not taking it again. ;)

e62b670e.jpg

Thank you for posting photos :smile:

The only explanation I can think of is the fact that my cheese is finely shredded (so it's less dense), and your shreds look quite a bit thicker than mine. :ohwell: But again, this just brings me back to the point that using cups as a measurement is pretty much useless.
  • BoxingClever
    Options
    Weigh it.
    and for gawds sake just eat the cheese already before you make yourself crazy over each this whole thing!

ETA: Wait.......you're not new? So this is your first time eating cheese? :huh: In the 2 years you've been a member...no cheese?:glasses:

:D:D nice reply, Made my day! :). ... Really dude you are too angry over 28g of cheese... Just cut it out all together :)

FYI, I've only been tracking my food for 2 weeks, not 2 years. Just because I signed up on the site on a certain date doesn't mean I've been using it religiously ever since then. I don't even remember when the hell I signed up on here, to be honest.

And seriously, if you think a thread is stupid, DON'T POST A REPLY. It really serves no purpose, other than making you look like a ****.
  • BoxingClever
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who gave a serious response, or offered a useful opinion without just trying to make me look like an idiot.
    I think I'm done here.
  • jenna715
    jenna715 Posts: 201
    Options
    Since ive gotten a scale ive noticed i was underestimating other things by using measuring cups too. Id trust the scale.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I have never understood the American cup thing.

edit, and wth is a STICK of butter? Butter comes in 8 oz pats. How would you even make it into a stick?
  • LethaSue
    LethaSue Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    4 sticks in a pound of butter, so 1/4 th of a pound
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    See,this is why we UK peeps have such difficulty with cups as a measurement!

And 'sticks' of butter! How much is a stick ffs?
    8 tablespoons or 112 grams
  • LethaSue
    LethaSue Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Our butter here in the U.S. does not come in pats. Unless you go to a cafeteria or the hospital then you might see a pat of butter and that is just a single serving.
  • rebyekah
    Options
    I've been having problems figuring out serving sizes ever since I started tracking, so I bought a scale. I'm making tacos tonight, and I wanted to figure out the servings of all the ingredients.

The serving size for the shredded cheese is 1/4 cup (28g). Out of curiosity, I weighed out the 28g IN the 1/4 cup measuring cup. As you can see in the photo, it's heaping and falling all over the place because it will not fit in the cup. It actually FILLED the 1/2 cup measuring cup, which would mean 28g is TWICE AS MUCH cheese as 1/4 cup. Even squishing it down wouldn't get it to fit in the 1/4 cup.

BRC2

So.....WHICH IS IT?? Which serving has 110 calories as the package states? Because obviously 28g has quite a few more calories than 1/4 cup. Why the hell can't they just make the serving sizes according to WEIGHT for everything that's not a liquid?? How the hell is anyone supposed to know how many calories they're consuming when the measurement system is so completely f**ked?? :explode:

OMG, this is beyond frustrating.

If I don't know or I'm eating a home cooked meal I didn't prepare I usually just pick something that's similar and guess.

Like if it's homemade tacos, I'd type in tacos to search and pick something that looks similar. I try to go on the high side with the calories and I'm sure I'm wrong sometimes but I'm not eating home cooked meals everyday so it's not a big deal.

I agree. Do what works best for you, but I would have gone crazy weighing stuff. I did this for a 1 1/2 years and I never weighed or measured squat. I always guessed on just about everything. Somehow it still worked, so it's probably ok to make a rough estimate now and then.
  • BoxingClever
    Options
    Put a 2 dollars on your scale, it should weigh about 2grams. If it doesn't register it, then the issue is with your scale accuracy.

I don't have any bills, but according to the US Mint website, a nickel weighs 5g. (http://www.usmint.gov/about_the_mint/index.cfm?action=coin_specifications)

So, just to put the arguments about my scale to rest:

nickel.jpg
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    I'd tend to go with the 1/4 cup shredded. there's less of it.....
  • MrsLong1980
    MrsLong1980 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    *chuckles* This is funny! Strange that they put cup measurements on packets - in the UK all nutritional measurements are in grams so there's no confusion :)

As for your cuppage dilemna - shred size would be an issue so next thing those dudes will be having to do is tell you what size shred you need! LOL
  • delong99
    delong99 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm going to buy a scale so I can eat more shredded cheese!! What brand of scale is that?
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    See,this is why we UK peeps have such difficulty with cups as a measurement!

And 'sticks' of butter! How much is a stick ffs?
    8 tablespoons or 112 grams

I have just checked and apparently a US tablespoon isn't the same as a UK tablespoon. And a US teaspoon is a whole 3rd bigger than a UK one. AND a US pint is 0.8 of and English one! So one cup is half a US pint, but only 0.4 of a UK one.

No wonder I can never get American recipes to work! That and they always seem to require ingredients that don't exist here.
  • BoxingClever
    Options
    I'm going to buy a scale so I can eat more shredded cheese!! What brand of scale is that?

EatSmart Precision Pro - Multifunction Digital Kitchen Scale w/ Extra Large LCD and 11 Lb. Capacity
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002CM6TVI/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Not sure what kind of measuring cup you have but when I measure out 28grams it fits in 1/4 cup easily. When I pack it down I can easily get 2 servings into the 1/4 cup.
  • BoxingClever
    Options
    Not sure what kind of measuring cup you have but when I measure out 28grams it fits in 1/4 cup easily. When I pack it down I can easily get 2 servings into the 1/4 cup.

So now that it's not my scale, it's my measuring cup that's the problem! *facepalm*
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I find some things in the MFP database don't have gram options.. they just go by cups, or serves.. I want grams for everything! Grams are the best.