Intro

Options
Hello, I've always had this app on my phone but never put it to good use until recently. I decided on Dec 29 that it was time to lose a whole lotta weight. I'm 35 with two young kids and I figured I'd want to be around to watch them grow up. On December 29 I started running again, it had been a while as I had to get some extensive surgery on my ankle not to mention finishing up grad school has virtually led me to a near sedentary lifestyle. My starting weight was 264, today I am sitting at 253 after my weigh in from my cardio workout. I should also mention I'm 6 ft. 1 1/2 inches tall. My goal weight is around 185. After getting motivated, I think that goal weight is definitely in my sites. As far as my diet, I decided to mix some elements of Paleo with personal modifications. For one, I enjoy the taste of vinegar, so I include that with the salads I eat. I also use whey protein powder even though it is a dairy product. I've also adopted the organic (or clean food) practice. I try to buy organic produce and organic (or I guess free range) lean proteins. For protein I eat lots of Chicken breasts and fish and egg whites. The fish is challenging. I love it, but I'm concerned about mercury. So I mostly eat Tilapia (from what I've read it has the lowest levels of mercury) and then occassionally Ahi Tuna and Salmon. On 6 Jan I really started concentrating on my diet. I have eliminated everything processed; all grains; and all dairy. I eat around three meals a day that run between 300-500 calories per meal with a split of around 60% protein 25 fats% and 15% carbs. I also snack on pecans and if I really get the belly rumbles an EAS protein shake. Myfitnesspal as really helped me to stay honest in that regards. As far as exercise. My routine as of 6 Jan (prior to this I would run just to get acclimated to the feeling of running and it was rough starting out) is that I do cardio for 90 minutes a day consisting of running at a decent pace (keeping the HR between 135-160 range) for times a week and then one additional cardio session of 60 minutes.

Basically my routine breaks out like this:
Monday: 90 minute run
Tuesday: 90 minute run
Wednesday: off
Thursday: 90 minute run
Friday 90 minute run
Saturday: 60 minute jog or shuffle

I know it may seem with the excessive cardio and the fact that I'm only eating around 1500 calories a day may not be enough, but honestly, I feel great and never feel hungry. Just a bit exhausted from running, but by the time I wake up the next morning I'm pretty refreshed and ready to go again.

Well that's my story so far. To everyone else with fitness goals, good luck and stay motivated!

Replies

• AgataZasada
    Options
    Hi there,

That was a cool intro. I started my journey December 2011 and also just had the app. I also started to run again, and even signed up for a 1/2 marathon in August. I have never been able to complete a 5k without walking. My weight loss goal is 140lbs, but my stretch goal in 130lbs. I started at 220lbs and down 10 as of today! I kind of do a ducan/low carb/celiac diet, I essentially cannot have too many starchy foods or wheat.

If you want to add me as a friend, that would be great!

Agata
  • jrdennis13
    Options
    Added. Definitely hang in there.