Stay at Home Mom ( All I can think about is FOOD!)

Options
I am a stay at home Mom, my boys are 9 & 10 years old (in school from 7:15 am- 3pm). I start out each day anew, with great intentions for exercise and nutrition. I'm actually excited about getting healthy, that alone makes me feel good. I have coffee, a good breakfast, and do between 10-20 minutes of Yoga to get the day going. Then I'm onto online classes & household chores in between. I'll take a break to grab a snack or a bottle of water here & there. I've noticed as the day progresses I seem to have a larger appetite and crave sweets and carbs. Then I'll catch myself looking through the refrigerator and cupboards, I'll find something and scarf it right down, all the while telling myself not to. I have cleaned out most of the unhealthy things in the house and will be grocery shopping over the weekend. I plan to take my kids along to help choose healthier options of the things we like. My husband is on board with whatever I plan for meals (he is not picky in the least & he's very lean naturally). I'm in need of some advice to ward off these cravings. Not sure if it's a side effect of quitting smoking and alcohol ( have not had either in a month). Maybe I'm taking on too much too soon? Any comments or advice are welcome! Thanks!

Replies

• julesmcclelland
    Options
    I, too, am a SAHM and find it hard not to constantly think about food. Although, we have other things to keep us busy, we also are at home most of the day and have access to anything that we are willing to put together or grab from the pantry. I can tell you what has helped me (most days): I enter what I am going to eat for the day, either the night before or that morning. I refer to the food diary many times throughout the day and this usually keeps me on the straight and narrow. Also, when I have already entered what I plan on having/making for dinner, I can see if I have any extra calories to splurge on something.
    When I have gone ahead and had too many cookies or cupcakes, I will do another round of cardio to help offset some of those calories.
    Hope that helps a bit.
  • dburek
    dburek Posts: 9
    Options
    Thanks! I will try doing my food diary that way and see if it helps! You are so right about being home all day and access to food. I don't know how many times a day I look at the refrigerator. I need to start getting more active, that would definitely help I know. Any suggestions on cardio to do @ home? I have some dumbbells and a medicine ball...I guess I just need to get a little creative and start pushing myself.
  • meeshka902
    Options
    I work alot of shift work so have alot of awake hours to eat. I just started back on a program and find what is working for me is spaghetti squash.-1 cup is 34 cals.I add salsa sauce,chopped onions,black olives,chopped tomatoes,cucs and a bit of grated parmesan cheese and voila-a filling meal for under 100 cals. I will eat a small amount of sweet to curb the cravings like skiiny cow fudsicles at 100 cal or 1/2 c (measured) ice cream for 130 cals. Lunch or breakfast is mushrooms,onions,chopped tomatoes,chopped celery and a handfull of spinach, pan fried with 1 tsp of margarine-add an egg and scarmble together and you have a filling omelette for about 100 cals as well. I usually do that for lunch and have 1 piece of toast and tea for brekky. Keep close count of your cals on My FitnessPal to keep you in line.Low cal snacks such as a grapefruit or orange will help with the carb cravings.Have been doing good on it-will sometimes reward myself so don't feel derpraved-like once a week but keep it in the calorie counting so you don't go over too much. Started doing some Zumba as well-burns 300 cal in 1/2 hour and it is a work out. ou can also do this at home-YouTube has some good sessionsHope this helps and everyone keep up the good work-we can all do it.
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    if your kids are in school why are you staying home? if you are in a financial situation where you dont have to work then go volunteer somewhere or go to a gym. i socialize at the gym all the time when im there. i may do two hours of exercise but ill be there three hours.during campaign season im campaigning like nobody's business,often getting paid for it. you can make your own hours for that too. i keep so busy there is absolutely no time to sit at home to think about food all the time. maybe you can even hook up with some college courses if you want.. im also on the board of a local homeless youth organization as well as a few other organizations. if i sat home id be eating and getting fat again.. no thanks
  • dburek
    Options
    if your kids are in school why are you staying home? if you are in a financial situation where you dont have to work then go volunteer somewhere or go to a gym. i socialize at the gym all the time when im there. i may do two hours of exercise but ill be there three hours.during campaign season im campaigning like nobody's business,often getting paid for it. you can make your own hours for that too. i keep so busy there is absolutely no time to sit at home to think about food all the time. maybe you can even hook up with some college courses if you want.. im also on the board of a local homeless youth organization as well as a few other organizations. if i sat home id be eating and getting fat again.. no thanks

I am currently taking college courses online, finishing up my nursing degree. This is temporary until May, then it's back to work :) In the meantime..yes, financially things are tight, I have a hard time spending on myself. I do volunteer at my boys school and I'm very active in their sports. It's that time when I'm at home working on classes refrigerator calls my name.
  • dburek
    Options
    Thanks for the great ideas :happy: