Plantar fasciitis

Options
jeyko
jeyko Posts: 368 Member
Wondering if anyone else suffers from Plantar Fasciitis? I was doing really well with daily workouts when I started getting pain in my heel that kept getting worse until I could not longer walk without limping. Went to my MD who examined my foot and sait it's plantar fasciitis, told me to buy Berks and sent me on my way. I took a month off of vigorous workouts to try to rest my foot. I've been trying to get back into a workout rountine but somedays it kills. I've been researching stretches to try to ease the discomfort and they are helping. Just looking for advice/feedback from anyone who suffers from this too.

Replies

• ohpilot
    ohpilot Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have a mild case of it. It got really brutal around this time last winter - I was walking down the street and before I knew it, my foot was in so much pain I couldn't actually walk any further. I rested it entirely for about 2 weeks and wore an ankle compress for months.

It still gets uncomfortable sometimes but I find that giving it a good stretch pre-workout is crucial. One of the trainers at my gym also recommended rolling it over a tennis ball, but it never hurts enough to remind me.

I'm making the switch to barefoot shoes in a couple of weeks in the hopes that it will take care of the rest of the problem. Good luck to you!
  • cba4994
    cba4994 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Stretch your feet especially when you first get up in the morning when the tendon is the most tense. A good way is to put your toes up against a wall and gently press down. Good luck.
  • lorac321
    lorac321 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I posed this question once before. One of the ladies indicated that no matter what she did it wouldn’t go away. Finally she got orthotics and that took care of it. I have seen my podiatrist and he said I have a rather severe case. I got a cortisone injection (didn’t help much) and fitted or orthotic inserts. I get them on Monday. I pray they will work.

My podiatrist does not recommend running your foot over a ball or bottle, but I tried it as I was willing to try anything. I kept one at home and one under my desk at work. I also used the “sock” to sleep with. The sock helped mildly but it never went away.

If all goes well my Dr. says that I should feel better within 10 days of getting the inserts :)

Good luck, I feel your pain.
  • rwhite93
    rwhite93 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I had this when I first started running. I ended up doing my cardio on a stationary bike. Later I was fitted for some running shoes. I haven't had any trouble since switching shoes. I was amazed how a pair of shoes made such a difference.
  • ckapes
    ckapes Posts: 31
    Options
    Don't walk barefoot at all. Always wear some type of shoe with an arch support. When you hurt try rolling your foot on a frozen water bottle. Go to physical therapy and inquire on getting a good set of inserts for your shoes. The inserts did the trick for me.
  • lmbdavis
    Options
    Have had really bad in the past. I would get a tennis ball and roll around using the mid section of my foot. Also would take a small towel and put under my foot and flexfoot back and forth and then do leg lifts with this stretching action before getting out of bed. Of course, the wall is great to stretch again while wearing tennis shoes....I don't have this much anymore, and I also don't wear high heels very often.
  • jenniferijulia
    jenniferijulia Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    The frozen water bottle trick works wonders, foot massages, stretching and inserts as well. Physical therapy was good because they show you how to stretch your foot and how to strengthen your ankles for more support. I have had this problem in both of my feet for years now. I still sometimes experience excruciating pain after walking/running, work-outs, etc. I feel, unfortunately, that the only cure for this is surgery. I've had a few cortisone shots in my heel and that is a temporary fix at best. I own a pair of MBT shoes that I LOVE for the cushioned sole and arch support. Arch support is crucial with Plantar Fasciitis. The orthotics are very expensive and tend to be rather too big to wear in most shoes, dress shoes and anything but boots or sneakers. i noticed that the orthotics tended to make my foot ache more on occasion and seemed to hinder activity rather than help, unfortunately. I hope to eventually have surgery on both feet to cut the tendon as I've heard from many that is the only solution to be pain free. :(
  • DrD2012
    Options
    Ice/stretching/Motrin

The plantar fascia is a tight ligament which helps to hold your arch up. Excess weight/increased activties or excess pronation(flattening of the arch) can cause the lig. to pull on the heel. The ultimate treatment is stretcing. If the Dr had you rest but did not direct you to stretch, the fascia will tighten up again. That is why it hurts worse in the morning or after periods of rest.

Berks are too flat. Running sneakers have a better heel and arch support. Brooks are very good for pronators. Asics and many New Balance are also good. Buy your shoes at the end of the day since your feet can swell during the day.

Orthotics can help if your have a significant amout of pronation but you still need good shoes to put them in.

The good new is 95% of people improve with conservative treatment...unfortunately the pain can last for a year so it is easy to get frustrated.

Good Luck
  • cchardt
    cchardt Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have this as well. I did not get it until I worked with a personal trainer and I did an exercise he suggested and I could not walk for 2 weeks. It comes and it goes but the big thing is to have a decent pair of shoes. I know my shoes are wearing out when my foot starts hurting. The frozen bottle idea is awesome and feels great!!
  • jeyko
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice! Some things I am already doing, I'm willing to give them all a shot. In one article I read it said that weight can affect it. I laughed because here I am working my butt off to lose the weight and I get an injury that hinders my success!! That's the way it goes I guess. Thanks again everyone!
  • Amalthia79
    Options
    I had this happen to me about 2 years ago and I finally got so bad that I couldn't even go shopping or anything without my feet hurting like mad! So I ended up getting a boot. It looks like the kind they put over a walking cast. You strap your foot into it once you are in bed and sleep for as long as you with it on. I felt the difference immediately! I wore it every night, taking it off at some point in the night each time, for about 2 months and now as long as I wear good shoes my feet don't bother me.
  • susanbobyk
    Options
    Hi,

I would roll a frozen water bottle under my foot or a tennis ball. I finally got orthotics and shoes that fit them. No more heels and no more problems.
  • JustTracyB
    Options
    I wear these around the house when I am barefoot. They help so much to prevent flare ups or stop them if they're just getting started. http://www.footsmart.com/P-Arch-Pro-Tec-10036.aspx

I use these inserts in all my shoes. http://www.footsmart.com/P-Shock-Doctor-Ultra2-Insoles-10409.aspx?c=None

Since I started using these, I haven't had a flare up. The biggest thing is to keep the arch wrapped when I am barefoot.

I used to tape the bottom of my feet. If you search on YouTube for PF taping techniques, you'll find tons of videos. It's instant relief when you have a particularly bad flare up.

Good luck!
  • roq54
    roq54 Posts: 1
    Options
    I seem to have a severe version of this. I have been unable to walk any length for the last 6 months. I have had physio, stretching etc.

Used a Strasbourg Sock at night. Did not think it did any good.

Was having physio, severe pain. My physio recently referred me to a consultant and for an MRI. I am now having Shockwave Therapy. I have had 3 sessions at 2 week intervals. Very little improvement after the first two but big improvement since the last one. Have been able to walk for the first time in months.

Now, also using a Doriswedge Night Splint by Procare. I think this has made a huge difference.

Stretching is the big thing. STRETCH, STRETCH, STRETCH.
  • Slo83
    Slo83 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    go barefooted as much as possible to strengthen the muscles in the foot. There is much info out there. Search Barefoot running. (you don't have to run)
  • jeyko
    Options
    Thanks for all yhe suggestions, I'm finally noticing some relief since taping my foot. I've also found a workout DVD that does not involve any standing exercises but still kicks my butt! I miss the Jillian workouts but I need my heel to heal!
  • nlehmann
    nlehmann Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    My husband is very tall and a runner with flat feet. He has a very servere case. After seeing the doctor, he bought a set of insoles for every pair of shoes he owns. The inserts have a very high and supportive arch. In addition, he would use a cold tennis ball or golf ball to help stretch out the muscle. He is on his feet for work all day long walking in addition to continuing workouts and running. Within a week of the inserts for his shoes he has had 100% relief but as soon as the insert start to wear out the pain come back.