Losing weight running

Options
I love running so much, but I always have trouble losing weight with it because it makes me hungry and I just end up eating more and maintaining my weight. Does anyone have any advice on losing weight with running as your sole source of cardio?

P.s. If you're a runner, send me a friend request because I'm new and would love to be friends with you!!

Replies

• MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I have a huge appetite as well when I run (or do any cardio for that matter) but eating the right foods help me stay full and eat within my calorie goals for the day.
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you will be able to get this using the link below, if not go to runnersworld.com and search for nutrition guide.

http://www.runnersworld.com/rwdcaspdf/NutritionGuide.pdf
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Interesting........I tend to be hungry less when I'm actively running. Except immediately after a run.
  • Shriffee
    Shriffee Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I have heard people say that before. I think I am a little more hungry, but not much. Dieting makes me hungry. LOL
  • ERIKAANN1984
    Options
    Try to eat small healthy meals like 6 times a day to spread out your food intake and get your stomach used to smaller portions.
  • ronny23
    ronny23 Posts: 35
    Options
    I just run 3 or 4 times a week... No more . Every time I try to run for 40 min. In regards to food, just waft what you eat... Veggies, protein, fruit and avoid eating more than 5 portions of carbs..
  • romach79
    romach79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I have found that drinking water after helps avert the hunger, and that the longer you delay eating the hunger feeling subsides and you don't eat as much.
  • kltdempsey
    Options
    I am exactly the same! I also feel the same after kickboxing. I heard that a good time to eat is after your workout (within 1/2 an hour I think) as your metabolism is at its fastest, so I try to save my meals until afterwards. I'm not sure if that's the right way, but if I don't do it that way Id be eating too :-)

I also have no calorie jelly too to help the sugar craving I tend to have too.
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I lost almost 40 pounds running over 6 months. I don't really tend to get hungry from running, at least I don't think so. But I eat every one of my running calories, so I feel like what goes out just goes back in. If you look at my diary, you will see I eat a lot of protein and a lot of carbs (and, well, a lot in general!! Gotta feed this big tall body!). I have heard that people shouldn't really use running as a weight loss tool, but millions have, you just have to find a balance. You have to fuel your body and really listen to it--is it hungry? Feed it. If it's not, drink water or distract yourself. The fact is, running is hard. Runner's world is a fountain of information--they have good boards there too and tons and tons of information...

Feel free to ask any questions and to friend me... happy trails... ;)
  • ckapes
    ckapes Posts: 31
    Options
    Eat a little something before your run. Gives your body something to burn. Eat a healthy meal after you excerise and drink a lot of water. Sometimes your body says your hungry but you are really thirsty.
  • sunflowerjesss
    sunflowerjesss Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you may need to kick start your metabolism before your run. Eat something small 15-30 minutes before you exercise may help you not feel so hungry after. I am by no means a professional, but I think something small like a yogurt or banana would suffice.

Also, I have read sometimes hunger can often be confused with thirst. I always try to drink a glass of water before every meal so my appetite is a little supressed.
  • annes656192
    Options
    I have found that if I eat a protein and a carb like apples or bananas with peanut butter I tend to not really want as much to eat after I run. Cardio of any kind generally makes me hungry, but I make myself aware of that and make sure I stick to my guns. I also usually run at like 5:30 am which gives me no room to make adjustments to eat more, because I have to shower and leave for work, so I grab a piece of fruit and eat my normal breakfast later.
  • walterld
    Options
    Cardio seems to cut my appetite, I can"t eat for about 2 hrs after. I am just not hungry, even if I was hungry before. I think it depends on if you are burning glucose or burning fat.
  • dwilliams5
    Options
    You might check out Phil Maffetone's method...building a real aerobic base by using a heart rate monitor and really staying in your aerobic zone so that you burn fat has worked much better for me. Also, I have shifted my diet away from anything goes w/n the calories to eating as if I were diabetic and keeping the sugars under control.
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I lost 48lbs just changing my eating habits and running. I trained for a half marathon last summer and thats when the magic happened. lol So you can do it. But its also a great idea to add in other thing, to tone and get stronger! That will help you lose the weight, and keep it off.

Everyone else had great advice about eating, so I'll leave it them! lol I get hungry when I work out, but its a good hungry, the kind where your body says "We just kicked butt! Now lets refuel!" lol