gaining weight?

Options
heya i was just wondering if there is anyone else on here who is trying to gain weight like me?

Replies

• tgmc1986
    Options
    hi there I am also trying to gain weight
  • t_roach
    Options
    Same here! One of my goals is to have some eggs at least 5 days a week. I need to bring some tuna fish to work for an afternoon snack too. Healthy protein helps me feel better and hopefully will help me gain some good weight too =)
  • Run4UrHealth
    Run4UrHealth Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Eat Mexican every meal...it made me gain weight FAST! Hahaha j/k!
  • runbyme
    runbyme Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I would love to give you some of mine! :flowerforyou: I have a friend who is way thin and she has as much problem gaining as some of us have losing! Hang in there!
  • drose92
    Options
    me!!!! i have so much trouble gaining weight. i want to gain at least 25 to 35 pounds! which seems impossible! but i think this tracking calories is going to help A LOT
  • caraparise
    Options
    i'm excited to gain weight! just starting and can't wait to see some progress!
  • lowelo
    lowelo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am trying to gain weight also. I have issues with consistency =[
  • drose92
    Options
    how are you guys planning to gain weight? i really dont know what to do becides try to eat more claories...
  • t_roach
    Options
    We've got a good group here now!

My work was having a "maintain-don't gain" challenge, so I emailed the dietitian that I wanted to do a "gain-don't maintain" challenge -- half joking. She actually emailed me a list of ways to gain healthy weight! A lot I had heard before, but some were new to me. I'll post a few here from something written by Terri Murphy, registered dietitian, CDE:

[Start of quote]
    Is it easy for everyone to gain weight?
    Family history plays a major role in each person's build. If you are healthy but thin and have trouble gaining weight, even when you eat a high-calorie diet, take a look at other members of your family. The genes you inherit from your parents play a strong role in body type. The body can be changed to a certain extent through weight training and changes in diet, but these methods, even when followed strictly, will never turn a marathon runner's body into a linebacker's body.
    People who are trying to put weight back on after an illness or surgery usually can gain weight more easily than someone who is naturally thin.

What can I do to gain weight?
    The average person wanting to gain weight should try to eat foods with high calorie content and larger portions of food. Mild exercise can help to increase your appetite and help you add muscle rather than fat.
    The following recommendations can be used by anyone wanting to gain or regain weight. It may be necessary, however, to change them to meet your specific needs. Check with your healthcare provider or dietitian about this.
    • To start, eat about 500 calories more a day than you have been eating. Some people will need to add up to a 1,000 extra calories. Look at the top section of the Nutrition Facts label of packaged foods to see how many calories are in a serving.
    • Eat snacks throughout the day.
    • Choose higher calorie foods often.
    • Try to always eat larger-than-normal portions at meals. If you have a poor appetite, it may work better to eat smaller, very high calorie meals and to eat more often. There are calorie and protein boosting powders that can be very helpful for people who are able to eat only very small amounts of food.
    • Fat contains more calories than any other food group: 45 calories in just 1 teaspoon. Adding healthy fats, such as plant oils (canola, olive, or peanut oil), soft margarines (look for those with no trans fats), old-fashioned peanut butter (the kind that needs stirring before you eat it), and avocado, is an easy way to add a lot of calories without having to eat a lot more food.
    Avoid saturated and trans fats. Although all fats contain the same amount of calories, saturated and trans fats can increase your cholesterol and other harmful blood fats. Foods high in saturated fat include whole-milk dairy products, chicken skin, bacon, sausage, sour cream, butter, high-fat cuts of meat, and many processed snack foods. Many convenience, snack, and fast foods contain both saturated and trans fats.
    • Even though you are eating a high-calorie diet, you should try to keep it healthy by including a lot of unprocessed (unrefined) carbohydrates, such as whole grains and fruits, as well as vegetables and lean protein foods such as skim milk products, skinless poultry, fish, egg whites, beans, and low-fat cuts of pork and beef.

[End of quote] If this post works and is helpful. I can post a few more parts. Sorry it 's long! Good luck, everyone!
  • lalala876
    Options
    wow this is really nice group guys :)
    i also have an issue with consistency and have been underweight basically all my life but i am sooo determined to put it on this year :D
    thanks t_roach thats really good information i would love to read some more!!
  • drose92
    Options
    I would love to read more also :) thanks for the information. !!
  • Shondatingting
    Options
    I'm trying to gain weight as well! It's good to see other people are in the same boat as me. :)
  • amber10101
    amber10101 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Oh, look at us all! There is an actual "group" but it's been quiet.

Take a look - might be a good way to keep in touch!
  • clitch86
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I too am looking to gain weight. I'm 25 and have always struggled to keep some weight on. I've averaged about 130-140lbs at 5'9". While I was in the Army I managed to get up to 165 while trying almost every supplement on the market, but have never seen any long term success and supplements aren't cheap! When I got home in late 09' I still had a bit left on me but quickly lost it and had a lot of people ask me if I was sick, etc. I do have a stressful life right now, who doesn't lol, but it's becoming a concern to me. I've been to the doctor several times, had lots of tests done and everything checks out ok. I just burn a lot of calories. I've only used MPF for a few days but it has helped a lot with tracking what I eat. I set a goal for 3500 cal a day and am limiting my supplement use to a basic protein shake. My target weight is 170. Nice to know there are other people struggling with this problem, as everything seems to be focused on losing weight.
  • t_roach
    Options
    Sorry I've been extra busy lately, haven't been tracking and logging in here.

My latest tool is low fat, high protein greek yogurt at Sam's Club. They come in little cups, so I can take them to work with an apple/banana/fresh fruit and not miss break fast =)

One cool trick I learned through those "Healthy Weight Gain" tip sheets I was talking about is drinking rehydrated powdered milk. This one has become a healthy habit of mine. So instead of drink water or juice or caffeine or whatever in the afternoon at work, I poor a little milk powder in my mug and add cold water from the water cooler. When I was a kid it didn't taste good, but now I think it's great and gives me a sustained energy boost from the protein.

Anything else working for you guys? Sometimes small successes need to be celebrated more!
  • drose92
    Options
    I am now trying to get half of my calories in by lunch. That way i am not forcing myself to get my calories in by the end of the day.
    I was wondering if anyone has tried Benecalorie? Someone suggested it to me, just wondering how it worked or what it taste like. Thinking of trying it.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/resource-benecalorie-calorically-dense-liquid-supplement/ID=prod386331-product
  • sebastianblanchard
    Options
    I also have always had trouble gaining weight. So tired of hearing "Oh I wish I had that problem" or when you turn 30,40, etc. I have only gained 15lbs since I was 18. I am 6'6" and weigh 180ish and 40 years old. I am within healthy range but have always been unhappy with my weight. My problem is I don't have the discipline nor extra money to do all the supplements. I also don't have much of an appetite, I only eat when I am hungry. Never think about it otherwise. It seems like really hard work to remember to eat at set times when I am not hungry. Using the calorie counter here has helped me realize what I am or am not eating so maybe I can change my habits. Good to know others have the same concerns!