1088 calories

Options
I know that people get really overzealous about the whole 1200 calorie thing but I saw a nutritionist who had me on a diet of 1088 calories. She was a RD so I don't understand why some people get so angry about people with calories under 1200. Personally, I have mine set to 1100 right now.

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    It's one thing to speak with a doctor and decide that a very low calorie diet is right for you. It's another thing to recommend it to someone you don't know on a public forum. You just never know what the effects on someone else will be, that's why we have guidelines. Sure, they may not be perfect for everyone, but they're guidelines because they're true for most people.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Why would you want to settle for 1200 calories to lose weight for a while when you could eat 1600 calories and have a sustained weight loss for how ever long you want?
  • sed484
    sed484 Posts: 69
    Options
    It's one thing to speak with a doctor and decide that a very low calorie diet is right for you. It's another thing to recommend it to someone you don't know on a public forum. You just never know what the effects on someone else will be, that's why we have guidelines. Sure, they may not be perfect for everyone, but they're guidelines because they're true for most people.

I like that answer. Good point.
  • sed484
    Options
    Why would you want to settle for 1200 calories to lose weight for a while when you could eat 1600 calories and have a sustained weight loss for how ever long you want?

Pretty sure I wouldn't "lose" with 1600, that's more a maintenance number. I'm pretty short.
  • weaverfit
    weaverfit Posts: 124
    Options
    I know that people get really overzealous about the whole 1200 calorie thing but I saw a nutritionist who had me on a diet of 1088 calories. She was a RD so I don't understand why some people get so angry about people with calories under 1200. Personally, I have mine set to 1100 right now.

Are you still nursing?
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    In addition, because you saw a professional, I'm sure you were offered detailed guidance on how to maintain that diet and still get macro and micronutrients into your diet that you need, either through real food or supplements. Without that detailed guidance, someone could be lead to believe that they can eat a steady diet of watermelon and chicken liver and be healthy.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    If you are doing any type of workouts 3 times a week and are appx 5'3" and up, your TDEE is in the mid 2k. Cutting 20% from there would give you 1600 down to 1400 at the least.
    My point is if you eat below TDEE for any period of time youll lose weight but if you eat below BMR for too long then you can damage vital organs.
    I'm no doctor but I also know that doctors dont know everything!
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    The 1200 calorie approach isn't a one size fits all. If you met with a Nutritionist, Id go with them. They have your stats and can better estimate your intake needs better than a computer can. I know a lot of us on here have NOT seen one, myself included. What works for you won't work with others. For example, I tried 1200 and gained weight because it was too high of a deficit since I have a lot of weight to lose. Im better at 1400-1600 net and have maintained 1-2lb a week.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    Well as you are under the care of a physician you have everything set. As a training PT. . I know that my text says that people should never go under 1200 except under the advice of a physician!
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    People like to blow things out of proportion.
    People on here REALLY like to grow things out of proportion.
    1100 calories is not going to cause you to suddenly drop dead, like people seem to think...
    I normally eat "lower" than I'm "supposed to"...People can gripe at me all day about it, I gain it I eat at 1500...although people will disagree with me forever on it...Maybe I'll let them watch me get on the scale? Lol.

What you're doing it fine, ignore the people who are going to gripe at you & say you're starving yourself, blah blah.
    Good luck!
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options

Pretty sure I wouldn't "lose" with 1600, that's more a maintenance number. I'm pretty short.
    I am 5ft 2 and my maintenance calories is 2250+
  • EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    When I first started this whole weight loss thing I was losing weight really good and thought I would go on a 8-900 cal diet.. I did it for a month but didn't lose a single ounce! and was so very frustrated and quite literally tired. I jumped back up to 1200 cals and lost 3 lbs that first week. I think everyone is different.. I mean seriously 1100 cals is not that big of a difference. In fact I've been keeping my cals this week at about 1100 cals and lost 2 lbs!1 woot woot. I don't think we should go much lower than that though. p.s. I try not to eat my exercise cals, but sometimes I am grateful they are there. Good luck on your journey.
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    My doctor and nutritionist both said I need to be on a 1050-1125 cal/day. This was set on the fact that I'm quite short (4'11"). I've chosen to keep my diary private because I had so many people on me for having a lower goal.

I think that the 1200 is a general rule. There are always outliers but, those decisions should be based on medical decisions not just an overzealous desire to lose weight quickly.
  • auntdeedee87
    auntdeedee87 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    My favorite Troll was the one with pink hair and the pink diamond belly button.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    I'm just saying please don't advocate it to others, whose situations you don't know. And please read this if you have NOT seen a doctor and are considering this:

http://www.possibility.com/wiki/index.php?title=EffectsOfSemiStarvation

I posted it as a topic in the general forum but it got buried already. There's more to consider than whether your weight loss will slow down.
  • Dexy_
    Dexy_ Posts: 593 Member
    Options

I am 5ft 2 and my maintenance calories is 2250+

AMEN! A good rule of thumb is to eat at or just above your BMR! (NEVER below!)
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I just think there is no need to eat that low. Seems unrealistic, unhealthy, and unsustainable.
    Getting adequate macros/micros at that level would be tough.
  • sed484
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the supportive comments!! :)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Thank you for reading responses without getting defensive or offended. :) We really do appreciate that.