any tips/tricks to help stop snacking?

Options
i'm a terrible snacker, sometimes i literally have to prise a biscuit from my hand to stop me eating it. it's terrible! :sad: being a smoker i don't want a cigarette to be the go-to thing when i'm fending off cravings. does anyone have any little tips or tricks that helps you walk away from the fridge or cupboards in between meals?

Replies

• fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    1. Make sure you are getting enough of your macronutrients at meal time. If you have enough water, fiber, protein, carbs, fats, etc, you won't have as many random cravings. Obviously, you don't want to over eat, but if you find that you are lacking in protein or lacking in fiber or what not, you will find that no matter how much of the other nutrients you are getting, you will still be hungry.

2. Identify what other causes of unnecessary hunger you may have. Personally, some of my medications had "increased appetite" listed as side effects. Boo. It sounds like you already know that quitting smoking has a role in this. Even if you are snacking, it's probably better than smoking. Some of my coworkers have told me that giving up smoking is easier if you have something to do with your hands and your mouth. Chew some gum and take up knitting. :)

3. Stay busy. If you constantly have things to do, you won't have as much time to think about food. I like to plan out as many meals as I can on Sunday, and then the rest of the week I try not to think about those meals. I just eat them when it is time, but don't obsess over them otherwise. If I don't think about the food, then I don't eat it.
  • KoriS
    KoriS Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Don't stop snacking..snack smart. My favorite snacks are almonds and string cheese, or fresh veggies and homemade guacamole. Don't overdo it on your daily calories, but try eating 5-6 "small meals" or 3 moderate meals with 2-3 healthy snacks in between. If you are eating healthy, you shouldn't fee deprived! You can do this!
  • KoriS
    KoriS Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    P.S. I'm a snacker too, expecially late night!
  • auntdeedee87
    auntdeedee87 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    1- Water. When you feel the urge coming and want to stave it off, down 8 ounces of ice cold water and make yourself wait 30 minutes. Find something, anything to do with your hands and see if the urge doesn't pass.

If you absolutely must snack, try keeping cucumbers, frozen grapes, canned peaches or pears (with 100& juice), popcorn, or pickles on hand. You can indulge without the guilt.

Popsicle brand popsicles makes a sugar-free pop that are about 15 calories each. In moderation, these are good because they satisfy the urge and keep you busy for more than a minute or two.

If you have room in your calories, a spoonful of peanut butter or a handful of nuts will fill a void and provide some good nutrients.

I will tell you my favorite "guilty" pleasure that doesn't make me feel guilty-- Dark chocolate peanut m&ms. A small handful is about 75 calories and it satisfies the need to crunch, and satisfies the urge to indulge in something decadent as well.

Hope this helps!

I also keep a pack of Trident nearby for when I just need something to keep my mouth busy. Can't beat it for <5 calories.
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Yep-toss all of the junk in the pantry and fridge and fill them with great snacks. I snack on carrots, cukes, string cheese, hard boiled eggs, nuts, dried fruit, regular fruit, hummus, guacamole(homemade), peanut butter, fruit smoothies, cottage cheese, yogurt. I feel guilty about NONE of these.
  • Care563
    Care563 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Blend a frozen banana with some cocoa powder...tastes like ice cream and only the calories of the banana.
    Try to preplan everything you will eat that day. Try not to keep unhealthy snacks in your house.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Don't have it in the fridge or cupboard in the first place.
  • MaryStregger
    MaryStregger Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    don't stop snacking. In fact, you're better off snacking in small amounts throughout the day then you are eating big meals. Listen to your body - if it wants to snack, then snack. Just keep a lot of super healthy snacks that are around 100 calories each handy - this is the hard part. I never leave the house without a piece of fruit in my purse - and I always end up eating it.
  • rsmithy89
    rsmithy89 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Sugar free jelly - 20 calories a bowl. Absolutely amazing.
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Don't stop snacking..snack smart. My favorite snacks are almonds and string cheese, or fresh veggies and homemade guacamole. Don't overdo it on your daily calories, but try eating 5-6 "small meals" or 3 moderate meals with 2-3 healthy snacks in between. If you are eating healthy, you shouldn't fee deprived! You can do this!
    don't stop snacking. In fact, you're better off snacking in small amounts throughout the day then you are eating big meals. Listen to your body - if it wants to snack, then snack. Just keep a lot of super healthy snacks that are around 100 calories each handy - this is the hard part. I never leave the house without a piece of fruit in my purse - and I always end up eating it.
    These^^^^
    The bigger question would be, "Why do you feel like you NEED to snack? Address that issue. Understanding it may take some work, but fixing it will be a breeze once you understand it.