need help with side dish..

Like to start a low-cal diet to lose weight.

I can do a meat and veggie easy.. but what do i do for starch/carb?

normally id do like a rice a roni... or.... some potatos...
but i wanna stay low calories? what can i do?

( salad is not an option lol)

maybe brown rice???

Replies

• KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Just load up on extra veggies and avoid starchy carbs. You can get carbs from the veggies and you will lose weight faster if you limit the starch. Just my opinion.... I'm not big on carbs.
  • LoreleiWalks
    LoreleiWalks Posts: 143 Member
    Brown rice (there are good frozen microwavable ones to save time)
    Sweet potato
    Bulgur, barley, quinoa, or whole-wheat couscous (plain or made into a pilaf)
    Slice of whole-grain bread or whole-grain roll
  • I love sweet potato, brown rice, and you can buy instant mashed potatoes that are 80 cal a serving (2/3 cup serving.)
    I don't eat the mashed potatoes a LOT, but they're good on occasion Butter, homestyle, garlic, and loaded mashed potato flavors I believe.
  • devfit
    devfit Posts: 3
    Cauliflower rice is great (thank you whoever wrote the post I saw about this).

You grate raw cauliflower and microwave it on high for about 3 minutes. Don't add water.

It comes out a bit like cous cous in texture so stuff like spices, lemon zest, toasted nuts, or fragrant herbs are nice mixed through. And it will need a bit of salt.

Another good option is daikon radish. Its flavour is quite mild and only slightly radishy - great with asian dishes. I am pretty sure I have mashed it before but the easiest thing would be again to just microwave it diced.

Celeriac is another option too. You can roast or mash it. Delicious.
  • hailzp
    hailzp Posts: 903 Member
    You could have more meat, it takes a while to get used to it but you end up feeling fuller because of the protein and you have more energy.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Eggplant and zucchini are good too.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Limit starches (potatoes, pasta, etc.) And avoid packaged, processed foods altogether.

Instead go for whole grains like brown rice, quinoa, barley, old-fashioned oatmeal, etc.
    And beans (black, pinto, navy, garbanzo, kidney, etc.; but NOT baked beans unless they're homemade.) Or try lentils or split peas.

By the way, veggies are carbs.