Carbs in fruit?

Options
I'm not on a low carb diet or anything, but are carbs that come from fruit bad for you?? I've always thought of carbs as being starchy, such as bread, pasta, potatoes, etc. But when I completed my diary for today, I noticed I was over my carb intake by 25. I don't usually pay much attention to that, but it stood out today for some reason. So I took a look at everything I ate today and (besides my rice) a majority of my carbs came from fruit. It shows a banana with 31 carbs and dried cherries at 34. Is this something I should be watching as well? I have always heard that fruit has a lot of sugar in it, but it's natural sugar so it's good for you. Is it the same for carbs?

Thanks!

Replies

• lilsassymom
    lilsassymom Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I don't have an answer but I go over on carbs a lot so I am actually interested in reading responses:smile: . I want to know too:laugh: . I love carbs .
  • nursy911
    Options
    All carbs eventually are converted to sugar----the difference between fruits and pasta is "degree"....Simple carbs (like pasta) are quickly converted to sugar....Complex carbs take longer to be converted and are healthier for you. My general goal right now is to stay away from processed foods. If you can do that....you will be fine ;-).
  • LosingLizard
    Options
    Like anything sweet, you don't want to overeat. I am watching my carbs - I have mostly cut all sweets and starches, except for fruit. I don't care what Atkins says, no one got fat off of too many apples. So, effectively, if what sent me over with my carb count is fruit, I don't bother with it.

Now, that being said, watch the dried fruit. It's not the same as fresh - calorically or nutritionally. I WOULD watch that. Fresh fruit, I always get my two servings in per day (sometimes 3) and I'm sure my body is grateful.
  • MaryStregger
    MaryStregger Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    No - carbs from fruit are not bad for you. Carbs from grains are not bad for you either - carbs are not bad for you period. Just like proteins and fats - your body needs them. If you cut out any one of those three nutrients, you will lose weight but you will struggle to maintain your diet and, eventually, you will suffer health consequences. Just like proteins and fats, you need to choose your carbs wisely. Fresh fruits, in and of themselves, are great for you - they are a dieter's best friend. I have lost 31 pounds since June and met my goal weight and I eat 3-4 pieces of fresh fruit every day - by themselves as snacks and mixed in with meals.