Going over protein goal?

Options
Can anyone tell me if going over your protein goal is that detrimental to the overall success? I have done my daily diary and my protein is over by 27 (or showing -27). Looks as though it's mainly down to the chicken breast I'm having for dinner, but other than that, I think I have a fairly well balanced day food wise. Any advice/ opinions is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Replies

• Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    imo, the MFP protein number is quite low. It's a good thing you are going over, especially if you like lean muscle in place of soft fat!
  • tazz8246
    Options
    Thanks Kymmu! I don't think there's too many places where I can lower the protein without lowering my overall calorie intake, which is slightly under my daily goal. Getting used to calorie counting is a big change as previously I've counted points! I guess as long as the protein is coming from good sources then I'm going in the right direction :).
  • barefootbeautiful
    Options
    Agreed! Personally I think the protein number is way too low. It is generally accepted that for every pound of ideal weight (i.e. for my build and 5'4", I figure 165), you should have roughly 1 gram of protein. So contrary to the MFP settings, I shoot for 160+ grams of protein a day. If most of that is coming from lean sources (chicken breast, fish, lean meat, eggs, etc.), there is VERY LITTLE reason to be concerned for going over your protein number. In fact, when I was doing a fat loss competition, I lost more weight eating 160-180g of protein a day than I ever did counting calories. So stick to the healthy foods, and don't worry too much about the protein. Keep your fat and carb numbers low, and you should be just fine. :) Good luck, and nice job!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Look at the protein target as a minimum. It's very hard to get too much protein, up to 100g a day is absolutely fine.
  • tazz8246
    Options
    Thank you, that's encouraging :). I will work on that principle and see where it gets me :)
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    My daily intake was supposed to be 150g then recently it lowered to 125g. More protein is better :)