Colories burnt doing Strength?

Options
I know is a long held fact that doing weight and general strength training is fantastic for your metabolism and for burning calories fast. Now, why does't the MFP iPhone app count the calories lost in strength training??

Replies

• 2fit4fat
    2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Probably becaus a lot of peoples typical " sessions" don't burn tons like cardio things do. It's more of a " longterm burn" because of the muscle built and metabolism getting better
  • leonidas11
    Options
    Aha. I see. Yeah, I've heard that doing weights increases your metabolism afterwards, so technically you do burn calories afterwards.
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    I know is a long held fact that doing weight and general strength training is fantastic for your metabolism and for burning calories fast. Now, why does't the MFP iPhone app count the calories lost in strength training??

If you log under cardio, there is a strength training option to add.
  • gsmith32953
    Options
    I concur with Crystal817, you can log all your weight training under "strength training", listing each individual exercise with amount of weight, reps, and sets, which you can print out on a report, then go into the "cardio Traing" section and log in your time it took you to complete your workout. If you're like me, I do circuit training with weights, so I'm getting the benefits of strength training along with a great cardio burn. Very important though, to get the cardio results, you take very, very little rest inbetween sets to get the full cardio benefit. That being said, it would be far less complicated if MFP created application that counts calorie burn for weight lifting.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    The problem is there's just such a wide range! A big beefy bloke power-lifting heavy weights is going to burn very different calories than a 130lb girl starting out with some light bicep curls.

A heart rate monitor is good to get a feel for how much you burn usually.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options

If you log under cardio, there is a strength training option to add.

It took me a week to realize it was there lol.
  • adross3
    adross3 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Dishes/Vaccum1hr 214
    Ab Ripper X 280
    Chest 150
    Sleep 88/hr
    BMR 2100
    Folding Laundry 170
    Bicept/Tricept 130
    Cleaning2hr 500