I've done it again - binge

Options
Hello,

I'm new to the board. My problem is over eating, like many others.
After replying to Nathalie yesterday, I proceeded on devouring half a bag of family size crisps, and my dinner, and chocolate, and ice cream, and more chocolate, and cashews, and wine, and a ham sarnie, blah blah blah... total calories for last night's binge : 2,500.
Not bad hey?!
It was the third binge this week, but the worst one by far.

I've worked out this morning, 800 calories. Not enough to get it all "back" but a step forward.

This has to stop. I told myself it was the last time. But I figured that if I said it "out loud" to people out there, I would take my commitment more seriously.

I loved the quote "don't reward yourself with food, you're not a dog".

So here I am, committing to you people that I will from now on enjoy my food and not binge. Quality over quantity.

I'm sad and disappointed but I will pull myself together and get over this.
Great inspiration!

Replies

• sadieuk79
    Options
    I was the same, but i have now thrown everything out the cupboards so all i am left with is my main meals and fruit.

Its so hard giving up the habits of opening a packet of crisp when watching telly in the evening and having the chocolate biscuits with my coffee.

x
  • getfitnfab
    getfitnfab Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Journaling helped me figure out my eating triggers

Be kind to yourself

Takes me a week to get into the right track
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Limit the amount of goodies available to you by not buying many at a time. You tend to stop binging rather quickly if your chocolate or whatever supply has dried up for the week :) It's a new day, just start fresh.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I did one a few weeks ago - LOVED IT!

And then I punished myself - felt terrible.
    I thought I was way past that.

Anyway, I decided to incorporate a weekly free day with a pre-planned binge meal, and a monthly binge day where I could let fly my desires for a whole 24 hour period.

LOVE THAT, and I am still in control.
  • ldalbello
    ldalbello Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I find that when I drink any alcohol, my willpower goes out the door !
  • docturtle
    docturtle Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    My problem is peer pressure. I got to work yesterday with a lunch packed that fit nicely into my food diary, when people gathered around the manager's desk said, 'The company is picking up lunch, we're ordering Chinese, come place your order!' Didn't I shove my lunch under my desk and order a big plate of Chinese?! Then since I had blown my diary for lunch, I didn't bother with it for the rest of the day and topped off the night with ice cream with whipped cream and homemade granola. I just logged the homemade granola I made last week that I ate as cereal for breakfast this morning and it's 600 calories a serving! No wonder I gained weight last week! When I made the granola, I didn't log in that day and couldn't stop eating it! I've gotta get back on track!
  • sheltielover
    sheltielover Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    im so sorry you are going thru this. ive binged since age 12.
    i tried everything- journaling, not buying the food, giving myself a free day.
    nothing worked until i addressed the true reason why i binged. it wasnt bc i liked eating, but bc of my emotions.
    i went and got help and talked to someone---- those 5 times at the dr helped to open my eyes that I was using food to try and control my anxiety over work, life etc..

its taken 6 months but i know control that anxiety by working out and talking to friends/family.
    its been hard. even this week i had a mini binge-- but nothing like it used to be. and im down 30 lbs.

feel free to add me as a friend.
    i know what you are going thru.

aimee
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

Anyway, I decided to incorporate a weekly free day with a pre-planned binge meal, and a monthly binge day where I could let fly my desires for a whole 24 hour period.

I personally do this every week. Sunday, the gloves come off. Food is going down, mutha fudda.
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Get yourself a popcorn popper and pop some popcorn when you want the munchies. And lightly salt it, no butter. The oil in which you popped the kernels is enough.

Avoid microwave popcorn which always tastes awful and has all those awful additives in it.

As for the other treats, not having them in the house is the best defense. Keep some dates and figs on had for when you have a sweet craving. They will satisfy that craving, and are full of fibre, so that you burn off the sweetness while digesting.
  • tialynn1
    tialynn1 Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    It looks like I wasn't the only person who had a bad week. I didn't binge that bad, but what I did was just not let it get me down and the next day is a new day. TIme to move on! Weekends are my hardest time!
  • ellen122x
    ellen122x Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have done the same thing my whole life it seems, but now what I've learned since I've been on this site(3 weeks now) is I will come here first, enter what I'm about to eat, and THEN decide if I want it that bad. This has stopped me from making a terrible choice and picking up fruit or a Kellogs fiber bar. Keep it up, this program will work for you. It really will. My worst times are at night when I can't sleep.
  • TheBakerGirl
    Options
    I don't understand how it is possible to plan a binge. Isn't that more like planning to overeat? For me, a binge is uncontrolled eating, eating when I'm full, stuffing anything I can get my hands on into my mouth as quickly as possible…almost like I'm punishing myself with food. And it's always based on my emotions and anxiety levels. It isn't something I choose to do.

I can understand planning to overeat and allowing yourself to have whatever you want one day per week/etc…but I don't think it's possible to plan an actual binge. Maybe someone can explain how a binge can be planned?

And to the original post…don't be too hard on yourself. Try to understand why it happened, so you can learn when to expect the desire to binge. Don't focus to much on never having another binge…chances are good, it is going to happen again. Try instead to focus on reducing the length of the binge, and the amount of food consumed. If you can stop yourself a little sooner each time, you can eventually make them stop completely. Or at least get to a point where it only takes one cookie to gain control of the feelings instead of three boxes of cookies. At least that's what I'm hoping to do!! Good luck! We can do this!! :flowerforyou:
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I have not done that for a while but I used to do it. There is something that used to happen to me as soon as I declared I was on a diet. I would get ravenously hungry and have to eat. I think it was was head hunger. Mind games like that are crazy. It would seem to take me over and I felt helpless to fight.

You have to decide this is not a diet and make very small changes one at a time. And I believe getting nutritious foods into your body and the simple carbs out makes a physiological chage in us too, squelching the craving that come as a result.

Its a lifestyle change that will become awesome as we grow and change over time.

I wish you the best Dear,
    Debbie:flowerforyou:
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I find that when I drink any alcohol, my willpower goes out the door !

^^^this^^^
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options

I personally do this every week. Sunday, the gloves come off. Food is going down, mutha fudda.
    I'll see you at McD's!
  • floridagirl7264
    floridagirl7264 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Did something happen that caused the binge? Usually it's some form of anxiety that causing binge eating. If you can figure out what caused it, you will be able to at least control it, if not avert it.