Toning myth

Options
i find it so irritating when people are telling newbies in the gym to train with high reps and low weights to get firmer and more toned muscles. Why do they think training high rep low weight would get you more toned?

Replies

• schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    My gym instructor told me to too this when I had my induction and program made up. Load of rubbish!
  • premiumchilenita
    premiumchilenita Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    not that I disagree but, why is it a load of rubbish?
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I think it's good advice for most people.

It's not going to get your MORE toned than lifting heavier weights but, if you haven't lifted before then it will start you off on the toning process and keep you motivated. Lifting too heavy to start off with will result in many people feeling very sore, discouraged and giving up. Therefore they won't tone up at all. If they start on low weights they feel confident, start to tone up and then progress to heavier weights.

I think the advice is probably mopre about psychology than physiology.
  • krypt5
    krypt5 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    The media pushed the idea of toning, primarily playing on peoples fear of getting bulky if they lift weights.
  • nurse_chris
    Options
    Not a scholarly source, but some good explanations. I think the problem people get with low weight/high volume is they are very slow to increase the weights over time.....

http://www.daveywaveyfitness.com/tips/high-reps-low-weight-vs-low-reps-high-weight/
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    i find it so irritating when people are telling newbies in the gym to train with high reps and low weights to get firmer and more toned muscles. Why do they think training high rep low weight would get you more toned?
    Heavy weights build bigger muscles and lower weights with higher reps might not build as much mass, but it adds strength and endurance. I do both!
    I say, yes, tone your muscles by working them; however, do not confuse muscle tone with fat spot reduction.

The myth is in thinking certain exercises will reduce fat in specific areas of the body.
    It will not.
    Body fat is reduced all over and the very place you want it gone the most will more than likely be the spot hardest to lose.
    That's reality.
    And the key to unlock fat loss is diet - not resistance exercise.
    Resistance helps retain or even build lean muscle tissue which will RAISE your metabolic rate and burn more fat at rest.

This is why we perform resistance - not spot reducing or "toning".
  • schnarfo
    Options
    Ok I agree with the psychology of it - start low and go heavier and thats exactly what I did, However I think a lot of people..especially women are afraid of pushing themselves and lifting heavy. I see a lot of ladies in my gym who lift next to nothing on the machines and they do lots of reps and they never go heavier. They wont get the results they want from that and would be better doing less reps and upping the weight

I just thought of something though - I do body pump and love it and I guess thats fairly light to moderate weights and high reps. That definitely works! What I said earlier I guess relates to the ladies I see in my gym with the very light free weights and machines,
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Its a gimmick big box gyms use to get women in the door. There is no such thing as "toning," its either building muscle or not building muscle. The most proven way to build muscle is to lift heavy. Women are afraid they'll get muscles like men, but most women do not produce enough testosterone to build muscle like men.
  • charm_quark
    charm_quark Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Not a scholarly source, but some good explanations. I think the problem people get with low weight/high volume is they are very slow to increase the weights over time.....

http://www.daveywaveyfitness.com/tips/high-reps-low-weight-vs-low-reps-high-weight/

Great article!

When 6 months ago, I began gym, I started with high reps - low weights. Everytime I felt it very light (using the same weight for about a month) I increased the weight.
    Lately (last 30 days), I began increasing weights faster and doing fewer reps and see better results to my body.
    But I feel more sore, but only for one day after the exercise.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    just because, i'm posting up about staci. because she isn't toning, and she's far from bulky. i would marry her if i could.

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • schnarfo
    Options

Great article!

When 6 months ago, I began gym, I started with high reps - low weights. Everytime I felt it very light (using the same weight for about a month) I increased the weight.
    Lately (last 30 days), I began increasing weights faster and doing fewer reps and see better results to my body.
    But I feel more sore, but only for one day after the exercise.

Its a good sore though right? Lets you know youve worked hard! :D I love that feeling. I find using protein shakes really helps
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    not that I disagree but, why is it a load of rubbish?

I use low weights and high reps. Lost 3.5 inches in my waist from Toning up. Now to get more definition, I have increased my weights. So it has worked for me
  • slacker80
    slacker80 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    As I was growning up and even to this day with most of the people I've talked to, The idea of high reps was always promoted for "the Cut" LOL! it sounds silly to me now, and found out a few years ago that it wasn't true at all. Maybe it's believed that once the exercise falls into an anarobic zone the fat will melt and the area being worked will become more defined.

I can't get to specific on the terms and anatomy. I'm not a trainer, but just another joe. However through much internet research as well as Robert Kennedy's Encyclopedia to Bodybuilding there is much emphasis on low reps for strength 3-5 reps, and higher reps for mass 10-15. and for the ideal overall build with qualities from both being 8-12.
  • lglg11
    lglg11 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    In the book New Rules of Lifting for Woman , it explains that the larger part of womans muscles are made for endurance, by lifting light weights with high reps all you are doing is working your muscles efficiently, the way they were meant to be worked, so you aren't promoting any change.

In order to promote change you must work your muscles inefficiently, heavier weights lower reps.

I do agree with the premise of starting off with lower weights and working yourself up over time to avoid injury and ensure proper form. I think it will also help keep woman motivated when they feel they are getting stronger .
  • schnarfo
    Options
    As I was growning up and even to this day with most of the people I've talked to, The idea of high reps was always promoted for "the Cut" LOL! it sounds silly to me now, and found out a few years ago that it wasn't true at all. Maybe it's believed that once the exercise falls into an anarobic zone the fat will melt and the area being worked will become more defined.

I can't get to specific on the terms and anatomy. I'm not a trainer, but just another joe. However through much internet research as well as Robert Kennedy's Encyclopedia to Bodybuilding there is much emphasis on low reps for strength 3-5 reps, and higher reps for mass 10-15. and for the ideal overall build with qualities from both being 8-12.

This :)

My instructor told me to do half the weights and like 20 reps. this is why i said it was rubbish lol.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Its a gimmick big box gyms use to get women in the door. There is no such thing as "toning," its either building muscle or not building muscle. The most proven way to build muscle is to lift heavy. Women are afraid they'll get muscles like men, but most women do not produce enough testosterone to build muscle like men.

Yes! Low weights build endurance, high weights build strength. In cheerleading we had a fitness test that wanted us to do 40 fullpush-ups in 60 seconds. This had very little to do with strength, but endurance. It was good mental practice.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    In the book New Rules of Lifting for Woman , it explains that the larger part of womans muscles are made for endurance, by lifting light weights with high reps all you are doing is working your muscles efficiently, the way they were meant to be worked, so you aren't promoting any change.

In order to promote change you must work your muscles inefficiently, heavier weights lower reps.

I do agree with the premise of starting off with lower weights and working yourself up over time to avoid injury and ensure proper form. I think it will also help keep woman motivated when they feel they are getting stronger .
    ^^^^^
    THIS
    And as mentioned, I see value in both and do both heavy low rep as well as light high rep exercises.
    I want endurance as well.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options

I agree :)

In NR the first 2 workouts are 15 reps, next 2 are 12 reps, then 10 then 8.

I see nothing wrong with starting with lower weight/higher reps. That's where I started. Progression to heavier weights and lower reps is key.

I DO disagree with doing AMRAP (like 100 or something..lol) with VERY light weights and never progressing.
  • CMomma23
    CMomma23 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    My motto is Chalene's motto... GO HEAVY OR GO HOME! :) Our bodies are much more capable than our minds believe.
  • epoeraven
    epoeraven Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I think it's good advice for most people.

It's not going to get your MORE toned than lifting heavier weights but, if you haven't lifted before then it will start you off on the toning process and keep you motivated. Lifting too heavy to start off with will result in many people feeling very sore, discouraged and giving up. Therefore they won't tone up at all. If they start on low weights they feel confident, start to tone up and then progress to heavier weights.

I think the advice is probably mopre about psychology than physiology.

Totally agree!!! Not to mention the potential for injury when beginners with little experience might not lift properly.