Newbie :)

Options
Hello everyone :)

My name is Lauren, and I joined myfitnesspal, yesterday! I will try not to bore you all with a huge life story, but my weight loss mission (yes mission) began about 4 months ago now after splitting up with my ex boyfriend (it appears he was a bit of a feeder!). When he decided he didn't have time for me anymore I decided to fill my spare time by doing things for myself!

I quit smoking and joined a gym and within a month lost 6lbs, this may not seem like a lot to many of you but as I'm 5'8 and weighed nearly 10 stone, it made my jeans feel a lot looser and I was extremely proud of myself!

3 months on however, and I am still at that record of 6lbs weight loss. I go to the gym on average 6 days a week and do a 45 minute spin class each day I go and one day a week I do a Body Conditioning class after spin and my average calorie intake a day (excluding days I'm feeling depressed and turn to all things chocolate and sugar topped) is about 1400.

To put it simply, I don't know what I'm doing wrong, and I guess I am just in need of some advice/motivation/support :)

Would be nice to hear from you!

Replies

• Prozack1964
    Options
    welcome here and I hope you have a great day
  • cartea01
    cartea01 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Bear with me as I usually work in cm and kg but by my calculations your BMI at 5'8" and 10 stone would be 21.28 which is well within a healthy range. And you weigh less now? You won't be losing much weight because you're body doesn't think you have much to lose.

As such, perhaps losing weight shouldn't be your goal but rather toning or strengthening? What is it you want to change about your body?
  • eayal002
    eayal002 Posts: 186
    Options
    Hello everyone :)

My name is Lauren, and I joined myfitnesspal, yesterday! I will try not to bore you all with a huge life story, but my weight loss mission (yes mission) began about 4 months ago now after splitting up with my ex boyfriend (it appears he was a bit of a feeder!). When he decided he didn't have time for me anymore I decided to fill my spare time by doing things for myself!

I quit smoking and joined a gym and within a month lost 6lbs, this may not seem like a lot to many of you but as I'm 5'8 and weighed nearly 10 stone, it made my jeans feel a lot looser and I was extremely proud of myself!

3 months on however, and I am still at that record of 6lbs weight loss. I go to the gym on average 6 days a week and do a 45 minute spin class each day I go and one day a week I do a Body Conditioning class after spin and my average calorie intake a day (excluding days I'm feeling depressed and turn to all things chocolate and sugar topped) is about 1400.

To put it simply, I don't know what I'm doing wrong, and I guess I am just in need of some advice/motivation/support :)

Would be nice to hear from you!

Welcome, you probably have a calorie deficit. 1400 is not a lot for someone working out. I suggest you up your calorie intake to 1800 and how that works. If your body is not getting enough fuel it will store fat or use fat stores as fuel.
  • laurenthomas91
    Options
    Hello, thanks for the replies and advice, I clearly need it haha!
    Yes your correct about my BMI being within healthy range, I am currently at 132lbs and I think BMI is around 20.5, but when I joined the gym I was measured at 30% body fat. Basically I wasn't fat too look at me but I had zero muscle tone whatsoever!
    I do workouts at the moment to try to build up my muscles and tone, I just really want to be a UK size 8 and think the only way to achieve that is to loose weight. I may be wrong though!
    Also the thought of eating 1800 calories a day scares the living day lights out of me!! haha
  • cartea01
    cartea01 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    There are some great threads on here that show people that have lost very little weight on the scales but have lost inches through gaining muscle and definition. Perhaps rather than have a weight loss goal, or rather than have it as your focus, you should take your measurements and start doing more strength training and judge your success by you inches lost?
  • cairney4698
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. Sure you will find all the support, motivation and help you are looking for here. Keep up the good work and don't let yourself feel down. Have sent you a friend request
  • dravenangel
    dravenangel Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    A fellow UK lass!!! :smile: Maybe it would be good if you spoke to the trainers at the gym and got them to work out what classes/workouts that will help you the most? Plus if they're good they should be able to advise on nutrition too. Good luck on your journey :smile: