Bread=Gain

Options
Anyone else find that no matter how good they are if the include bread, pasta, rice or potato in their day, they gain? Every time. So frustrating! I don't mind limiting but I'd like to be able to have them once in a while. I even pull the noodles out of the chicken noodle soup!

Replies

• opajee
    opajee Posts: 69
    Options
    I'm Asian and I always have rice with my food. I just eat less of it now and load up on veggies. I will never give up pasta or rice, but I will eat less of it. So far it's working for me.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    1g carb holds 3g water.

Don't weigh in everyday.

Cals in vs out is what matters most.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Anyone else find that no matter how good they are if the include bread, pasta, rice or potato in their day, they gain? Every time. So frustrating! I don't mind limiting but I'd like to be able to have them once in a while. I even pull the noodles out of the chicken noodle soup!
    Yes, and I have nearly eliminated such items from my diet.
  • premiumchilenita
    premiumchilenita Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I've been dieting most of my life and for the first time ever, I find that I can eat bread and not feel guilty about it, I'll just exercise a little more. I lived on pasta and it is very high in calories, so I don't eat it so often but I still do because I love it!
  • theoneandonlybrookie
    Options
    Nope. I eat all of those things, regularly. And I'm honestly not being snarky or contrary when I say that the only thing that halted or slowed my weight loss when I was losing was going over my calories. I have found that it was really difficult to exercise portion control when eating pasta and rice in particular. And I do make an effort to eat whole grains.

I have no idea if I am able to burn carbs effectively because of my body chemistry, or the fact that I run, or what. I tend to believe weight loss is just calories in, calories out. I just know that eating bread in moderation has never been a cause of weight gain for me.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I've been in maintenance mode for a year and I don't have issues, and a significant portion of my diet comes from grains.
  • nichole913
    nichole913 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm following the primal diet. No grains, beans, or processed foods. The weight is coming off and I feel so good! I'm also never hungry because I'm constantly eating to keep up with the calories. It is hard to take in enough calories without the starches.
  • santamommy
    Options
    I eat Chicken noodle soup most everyday fo lunch and I only eat whole wheat mini pita, sandwich thin and any Arnold whole wheat bread...I also have deserts 3-4 times a week and eat regular foods..but I do it all in moderation and serving sizes..and still have averaged 2 lbs a week in weight loss...are you on any medications that could slow weight loss?
  • boccpio
    boccpio Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. I've been eating low carb, and it's the only thing that works for me (and the only "diet" I've been able to maintain). I think people are just different.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    1g carb holds 3g water.

Don't weigh in everyday.

Cals in vs out is what matters most.

^this
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    No, I find that I gain weight when I eat too much and move too little.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    UGGGGG. Boy are you right. Went almost 2 weeks without bread and felt great. Last few days had a few pieces and what a difference in the way I feel. I LOVE bread. Oh well, I will figure it out.

Have a great Saturday.
  • Biggipooh
    Biggipooh Posts: 350
    Options
    Yep, the carbs can be in the way. I changed my setting, so I eat 115 g carbs and 115 g protein a day. With this 50-50 thing I constantly loose weight. When the carbs were so high, it was hard for me to loose.
  • sophiareal
    sophiareal Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I do find it harder to lose weight when I am eating simple carbs (as in white bread, white pasta etc) so I am trying to reduce it as much as I can and replace it with oats, brown rice, wholemeal bread etc (though still in moderation). And, interestingly, although my bagel this morning for breakfast tasted heavenly, it wasn't nearly as satisfying as my usual bowl of porridge (for the same or even less calories). I definitely struggle to say no to a nice bowl of pasta, garlic bread etc but it's just not worth it - I end up slowing down my weight loss and craving it more than when I don't have it at all.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I haven't cut bread out of my diet. I don't think it is a good idea to cut anything out completely because as soon as you go back to eating it again then you will see the pounds pile on.

Check out the site below. It provides you with some knowledge on how to buy some bread, what breads to eat, etc.

"Do not throw in the towel on bread altogether. Eating the right type of bread can help to lower the risk of cardiovascular disease, diabetes and even obesity. Become a smart bread shopper by following the rules and enjoy the goodness that whole grains have to offer."

http://www.canadianliving.com/health/nutrition/how_to_choose_the_healthiest_bread_2.php
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Nope, not a problem here. My diet consists of 50-60% carbs.. but I'm a runner and burn, baby, burn. Of course, I try to make all of my carbs whole grain/wheat.. I try to avoid white because it tanks my bloodsugar and causes me to be hungry again soon.
  • auctoritas
    Options
    I haven't cut bread out of my diet. I don't think it is a good idea to cut anything out completely because as soon as you go back to eating it again then you will see the pounds pile on.

Check out the site below. It provides you with some knowledge on how to buy some bread, what breads to eat, etc.

"Do not throw in the towel on bread altogether. Eating the right type of bread can help to lower the risk of cardiovascular disease, diabetes and even obesity. Become a smart bread shopper by following the rules and enjoy the goodness that whole grains have to offer."

http://www.canadianliving.com/health/nutrition/how_to_choose_the_healthiest_bread_2.php

Bread is such an arbitrary thing to decide you can't not eat. Have you ever had a durian fruit before? Because it's totally something you should never cut out of your diet. How about jellyfish? Also essential. Cashews? You will die without them. Etc etc, you get my point. Would you tell people with Celiac's disease, who will get sick eating bread, that they must eat it?

Even if you're in the "carbs are essential" camp (and I'm totally not), cutting out bread doesn't mean you're cutting out all carbs. If someone doesn't want to eat bread, who are you to tell them they have to eat it or they'll get sick/die/be unhealthy?
  • Biggipooh
    Biggipooh Posts: 350
    Options

Bread is such an arbitrary thing to decide you can't not eat. Have you ever had a durian fruit before? Because it's totally something you should never cut out of your diet. How about jellyfish? Also essential. Cashews? You will die without them. Etc etc, you get my point. Would you tell people with Celiac's disease, who will get sick eating bread, that they must eat it?

Even if you're in the "carbs are essential" camp (and I'm totally not), cutting out bread doesn't mean you're cutting out all carbs. If someone doesn't want to eat bread, who are you to tell them they have to eat it or they'll get sick/die/be unhealthy?

I don't think, she meant to say, that people have to eat bread. She just showed alternatives, like full grain bread, etc. And of course, people with celiac's desease already know what they can or can't eat. Thats a total different story. Take it easy, buddy.
  • olee67
    olee67 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    No, I generally don't have an issue. But, I try to rotate days that I each strachy carbs. For the most part I try to stay under 200 carbs consumed every day, but, some days I'll only have a starchy carb for breakfast and no starchy carbs the rest of the day. This means a lot more veggies for lunches and snacks, and, that's not a bad thing. I'll also increase my fatty foods on those low carb days. Peanut butter, nuts, low fat cheese (usually white cheeses because they are lower in sodium), and beans.

I am one of the few that can handle weighing myself every day and not get too worked up about it. I mainly do it to see what I need to do with correlation with my eating that day. I've had days where I gained 4 lbs (water weight and other factors) and done the low sodium and carb thing that day, and I'll lose that 4 lbs the next day...
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    No, I find that I gain weight when I eat too much and move too little.

I'm the same, bread is not the problem, excess cals are (for me).