Too much protein?

Options
djr140
djr140 Posts: 19 Member
I have a question..I seem to go over my alloted Protein everyday. I do generally eat high protein foods, chicken, fish, protein bars, etc. Will this hinder my weight loss? Would I lose quicker/more if I ate less protein? I know protein takes longer to burn, so if I eat less will my body start burning the reserve fat instead? Anyone know the answers? Thanks!

Replies

• shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    I am clueless when it comes to weight loss tips, but I have read in several other threads that if you are going to go over on something it should be Protein. According to what I have read, MFP sets your Protein goals really low to begin with. I go over on my protein every day also.
  • Munchi8175
    Munchi8175 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I go over my protein as well! I'm not sure exactly what effect that has on weight loss so I looked it up and here is what I found...

"The role of protein is directly related to weight maintenance is several ways. The hormones and enzymes produced regulate sleep, digestion, and ovulation. Protein slows digestion promoting steady blood sugar levels. Steady blood sugar levels prevent insulin spikes that can lead to increased fat storage. Improper fluid balance can lead to water retention and corresponding weight gain." http://www.lisanelsonrd.com/blog/protein-and-weight-loss-how-does-protein-affect-weight-loss

Also this website http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=56691 suggests that higher protein has a correlation to higher fat, lower fiber, and low bone density.
  • ttulio
    ttulio Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I try to keep my macros at about 45% carbs, 30% fat, and 25% protein. This makes me lose weight a little faster (about a half pound or so a week) with the same caloric intake. However, when I get above 30% on my protein for too many days in a row, it starts to work against me. I found this out through trial and error, and you probably need to do the same. What works for one person may not work the same for you. Try to keep your macros at a higher protein for a week or two and see what the results are. It may take some time, but you can zero in on what works best. I can't tell you the science behind it, but it works for me.
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Are you loosing or do you feel like you are starving?

With me it does hinder loss since protein is often connected with FAT. If I have too much fat and protein, I want to eat more fat and protein. For some reason it makes me feel like I am starving and the need to binge eat. I would have never thought that since they say protein is GREAT and all the other jazz.

However, with me, I have to keep it on an even keel through the day. I could eat almost 100% of my protein at breakfast and I had to stop that.
  • rsmithy89
    rsmithy89 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    It is ok to go over your protein macros. The MFP macros arent exactly accurate anyways. You should be taking in 1-2g of protein per Kg of body weight.

The macros you really need to try and maintain is carbs. Dont go over this. Carbs are nowhere near as essential as protein and fats are. If you are sacrificing some carb macros for protein then that is probably a good thing.
  • JenTracey
    JenTracey Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about the protien either. I do go over but mine is from EAS Carb control protien drinks. I am always on the run and that is my breakfast and sometimes one for a snack. I changed my macros to 40protien/30carb/30fat. But what do I know. I did lose 2 lbs. this week. I need help or answers to this too. feel free to look at my food intake, all suggestions are appreciated.
  • rsmithy89
    rsmithy89 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Reps to the bodybuilding.com nutrition forum for this quote:

Protein: Believe it or not - Protein intake is a bit of a controversial issue. In this, the general recommendations given in the 'bodybuilding' area are nearly double the 'standard' recommendations given in the Sports Nutrition Arena.

The GENERAL sports nutrition guideline based on most studies out suggest that in the face of ADEQUATE calories and CARBS then the following protein intakes are sufficient:

STRENGTH training -> 1.2 to 1.6g per KG bodyweight (about .6 / pound)
    ENDURANCE training -> 1.4 to 1.8g per KG bodyweight (about .8 / pound)
    ADOLESCENT in training -> 1.8 to 2.2g per KG bodyweight (about 1g / pound)

BUT they also acknowledge that protein becomes MORE important in the context of LOWER calorie intakes, or LOWER carb intakes.
  • djr140
    djr140 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the input..I never go over on my carbs and am usually well below. I'll play around see what works best for me.