Anyone lost a large amount of weight doing weights only?

Options
I'm interested to hear from anyone who has lost alot of weight just doing weights, I HATE cardio I do it but I hate every minute of it, I love doing weight training tho.. and I do alot of that (I'm around 260lbs female)
so I guess I'm interested to know how much I can get away with doing just weights and minimal cardio lol
thanks!

Replies

• Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    I do weight training with cardio. About 50/50.

But I triple set everything. 27 sets in about 30 min. I do 3 sets in the time most do 1 set because they sit around for 5 min before doing their 2nd set. By that time, I've done 3
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    bump
  • vsmurrow
    vsmurrow Posts: 145
    Options
  • kir911
    kir911 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I primarily do weights...but in a cardio style...crossfit type workouts, so i get a cardio workout at the same time. I very rarely do traditional cardio....ie. jumping on machines. and I am doing fine with weight loss. Strength training is actually better for you in alot of ways, because the more muscle you have in your body the faster your metabolize fat!
  • MDWilliams1857
    MDWilliams1857 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    If the concern is simply weight loss then cardio is not necessary. For that matter, no exercise is necessary. Weight is lost outside the gym. Doing cardio improves overall health and weight training will help keep your muscle mass while losing weight but neither is essential to weight loss. Do what you like to do. If you dont like cardio, keep cardio session short and focus on weight training. Lift heavy.
  • Ashlea82
    Ashlea82 Posts: 191
    Options
    well no weight loss is not my only goal i would like to look and feel better physically but i have ALOT to lose before thats possible so of course its part of my goal, i want to work out to supplement my weight loss, i would like to one day have defined muscles i like the look of it
    but i want to do something i enjoy because i know for a fact that if i dread working out every day im going to fail in the long term because ill see this as a punishment iykwim?!
  • Agean42
    Options
    I have lost 80 pounds in the last 6 months doing mostly strengh training ( have a look at my transformation post )

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/422853-6-months-transformation-with-pics

I did a full body workout with heavy weights 3 times a week, each workout was about 1 hour with 10 mins of cardio ( elliptical trainer ) at the end of each workout.

The more muscle you can add, the more you speed up your metabolism, so you burn more calories and lose more fat !!

You must, must, must get your protein in if you are lifting weights, aim for 1 gram per pound of bodyweight
  • Ashlea82
    Ashlea82 Posts: 191
    Options
    wow you look great well done! I hear ya on the protein I'm definitely going to have to up mine then I don't eat anywhere near 1gram per lb haha thanks for the tip!
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    your heart is the most important muscle of all, so its probably a good idea to get some cardio in if you can bear it. Strength training is brilliant for you, but it doesnt burn many calories
  • Agean42
    Options
    wow you look great well done! I hear ya on the protein I'm definitely going to have to up mine then I don't eat anywhere near 1gram per lb haha thanks for the tip!

Also, go into your goals and change your macro settings to 40% carbs 30% protein 30% fats.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options

Also, go into your goals and change your macro settings to 40% carbs 30% protein 30% fats.

^^ This is a great starting point. Simply continue to scale your protein to follow your bodyweight and then do as you please with the other two. Personally, I cycle my carbs and fats but that is a rather complex process and most people do fine with splitting the remaining % after protein in half.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    Both picture same weight.

She changed herself with lifting only, no cardio.

75153887501416986_Y1GnYQpg_c.jpg

Heres what she did

http://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/nue8c/6_month_progress_weightlifting_female/

I know she is relatively lean in before pic. But thought it might help encourage you.

I know for me personally, I get better/faster results when I combine some cardio with my heavy lifting. I hate cardio. So its finding something you can do, and find less hateful. :)

For me thats P90X, or Rushfit, and/or a Treadclimber, with the TV playing my favorite DVD. ( I use each of those at different times.)

Good Luck.
  • tondalea
    tondalea Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Nice transformation. Although I enjoy cardio. I'm hearing more and more that its unnecessary and people that just don't do it and build incredible bodies.
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    Nice transformation. Although I enjoy cardio. I'm hearing more and more that its unnecessary and people that just don't do it and build incredible bodies.

Doing both is great for you. Cardio is good for stamina and endurance. I hate working out period, but I do it because I want to hit my goals.
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I had to scale back on my cardio because it was eating into my recovery from using weights. I started in a P90x/Insanity hybrid, and then decreased the cardio to 25 mins. and I was still having problems. I agree with the other posters that you should work in some cardio...I'm now considering tabata, and doing that 2-3 times per week to see if that gives me the right amount of both. Don't be afraid to mix it up and play around. Tabata is short and INTENSE.