weight loss and lifting?

Options
i am trying to lose 20lbs. should i stick with mostly cardio before implementing weight lifting into my routines til i have lost the weight. liek lose the weight before worrying about muscle toning? i want to see weight loss results pretty quickly, which way is faster? or is one not better than the other? tia

Replies

• meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Depends what you mean by 'weight loss'. If you want stuff to simply disappear on the scale, just do cardio. If you want to *look* better, trimmer, firmer, then lifting produces much better results.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Depends what you mean by 'weight loss'. If you want stuff to simply disappear on the scale, just do cardio. If you want to *look* better, trimmer, firmer, then lifting produces much better results.

^^ This
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    The more muscle you have on your body, the more calories your body burns sitting there doing nothing. I'd start right away.
  • Debinapril
    Debinapril Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Start now. :-)
  • deekaydee
    deekaydee Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    i want to see weight loss results pretty quickly, which way is faster?

Start now.

But be prepared, "weight loss" is not likely to happen as quickly as it would without strength training -- since you're likely to retain more water and possibly build a little muscle in the beginning. But if you stick with it, you will improve your body composition (less fat, stronger muscles).

Just don't be a slave to the scale. If your goal is tied to lbs lost only, and you'll get discouraged if that doesn't go down fast, weight lifting may be frustrating for you.

My advice would be to throw that mentality out the window. "Weight" is a physics equation. When people say they want to lose weight, I think they generally mean they want better body composition -- less fat, more muscle -- and not that they want gravity to exert less force upon their body.
  • Ant_M76
    Ant_M76 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Do both