Question for those who lost or are losing 100+lbs

Options
For those who have lost or are trying to lose 100+lbs, did you lose more inches or pounds during the first weeks of dieting? I've became discourage a during the holidays (and fell off the wagon) because I wasn't losing weight on the scale. I lost about 4.5 inches overall during the first two weeks and saw some difference. I was expecting to lose around 4+ pounds a week (for a few weeks) since I have so much weight to lose. I'm starting my diet (lifestyle change) over this week. I walk 2.9 miles a day at 3.6 mph and 24-40 minutes of circuit training. I will like to know what to expect so I don't get discourage again.

Replies

• ms_karu
    ms_karu Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Mel_0316
    Mel_0316 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I just started my journey at the end of November...for me the weight did not come off as fast as I would have liked....I thought being over 290 lbs to start I could expect a few big weeks and they never came. However, it has been slowly but steadily coming off. I have lost 14 lbs but I have also lost 10 inches to date. It took me a while to balance working out with the calorie intake but now that I have that it seems to be easier. Stick with it though it will eventually come! The good news is they say when it does it will stay off if you take it slow to start..... Good Luck!
  • RumOne
    RumOne Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I haven't mesured myself and I have lost 4lbs so far. In two weeks, I have learned to make better food choices to stay under my calorie count, stayed full, increased my water intake, and I have gone from a 19:39 mile hike (i live on a mountain) to a 17:09 mile hike. I figured out that the weight wasn't my only goal in this journey so that isn't the only way I measure my success. I also remember that muscle weighs more then fat so if you replace your fat that you are losing with muscle that you are building then you won't see a great decrease at one time but you should notice other diffrences.

I hope you keep going on your journey and find your own personal goals
  • LittleMissAngi
    LittleMissAngi Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I found that if I expect a change and I don't see one I get discouraged, and come close to giving up.

So now I don't expect to see a change.

I look at it as a bonus!
  • ms_karu
    ms_karu Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    @Mel_0316 Can you see a difference in your body of the inches you lost?
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    First, inches. Then a sudden drop in poundage. Now i sort of alternate what I check, alternate weeks I measure. I am more likley to continually see progress that way.
  • floridagirl7264
    floridagirl7264 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Fat doesn't weigh more than muscle. 1 lb of fat is equal to 1 lb of muscle. A pound is a pound.
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Inches.......my scales are moving VERY slowly and I've been at this for 7 months....but I've lost two pants sizes, almost two shirt sizes and a bra cup size. So, even though the scales are not moving, I know I"m losing. I, also, feel the difference in my body. When I run my h and across my leg or my stomach, I can feel the softness where it used to be tight as a drum and I can feel little crevices and "gullies" (for lack of a better word) where I KNOW that the fat is coming off, but the scales have not been my friend. I'm depending much more on how my close fit and less on the scales.

Good luck on your journey.
  • lisamuir79
    Options
    From previous experience I lost the inches before any significant weight loss, needless to say because I didn't see my hard work paying off on the scales after going to the gym/classes and following weight watchers I gave up. This time round I know what to expect and that I have to be in it for the long haul but by keeping an eye on my food intake via MFP I feel this time it might just work!
  • sunnydays33
    sunnydays33 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I know it's easier said than done, however try not to weigh too often...maybe 1x week and take measurements monthly. You won't see drastic changes in just a few weeks even though it feels like you've made drastic changes. I've consistently lost for 10 months and dropped almost 150 inches! Some months were so much slower on the scale, however over the long term it's still been going down.

You can check out my profile for what I did exactly, it was pretty extreme and the take away would be: you have to find what works for you, no plan is going to be perfect, so mix and match to fit your lifestyle. You can do this, being consistent is key!
  • Mel_0316
    Mel_0316 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    @Mel_0316 Can you see a difference in your body of the inches you lost?

Absolutely, I can see a difference now with the inches I have lost. I have lost 17 lbs to date but it has translated into 3 pants sizes and about the same in the top. It probably depends where you lose from first, I have lost from my chest and my legs....makes a big difference. And the best part is feeling better, I feel stronger and I like the way I look for the first time in a long time! :)
  • amykathleen2005
    amykathleen2005 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    It took awhile to put the weight on, so it will take awhile to take it off again. Focus on the healthy choices, the weight will come off.