Early pregnancy, calorie count, and exercise

Options
I just found out that I am pregnant and have lost 20 pounds and I don't want to completely undo the work I've done. I know I am not supposed to diet but I am trying to figure out how many calories to adjust my daily goal to, this way I don't over do it. Also does anyone know what exercises you are not allowed to do if any? (One of my friends said I couldn't do yoga)

Thank you all for your help
Betty :smile:

Replies

• mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't trust anyone but a doctor. Everyone will have different things on what you should and shouldn't do. Make an appointment and go see your Doctor for the advice you want.

Congrats
  • careyharv
    careyharv Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should talk to a doctor first. I have found this suggestion on a website that you might want to bring up with the doctor. I wish I read this or a doctor told me this when I was pregnant with my kids.

http://www.mamashealth.com/pregnancy/pregcalories.asp
  • tifmarie9
    tifmarie9 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've heard you need at least 500 additional calories when pregnant. I for one need much more because I was SO STARVING ALL THE TIME. But, definitely check with you doctor. My doctor always told me that if I did the exercise regularly before pregnancy it was okay to continue it. But not to introduce something new to the routine because it could be too straining. But ask you Doc to make sure.
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I agree, speak to a doctor (preferably an OB/GYN) or Midwife - someone who knows more about pregnancy/babies than regular GP's - and find out what they say. Every person is different and it depends a lot on hat you were doing before falling pregnant. Take it easy before you see him though.

Congratulations. X
  • careyharv
    careyharv Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    And by the way - Congratulations!!! :smile:
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Definitely talk to your doctor. I was on Weight Watchers during my first pregnancy and walked 4 miles in an hour up to my delivery. I didn't gain while pregnant and two weeks after he was born I had lost 28 pounds. The doctor said the walking definitely helped me recover from the c-section.
  • dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    You actually only need an extra 200 cals after around 6 months and nothing extra before.

However, everyone is different, so speak to your doctor, a health visitor or mid-wife
  • fava87
    fava87 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    When I was pregnant I asked the Dr what I could do and she said I could continue what I was doing because my body was use to it. So I jogged up till my 9th month, I did yoga, and lifted weights all with the blessing of my Dr. The even have a prenantal yoga to help prep you for labor. Make sure you ask your Dr what you can do because everyone is different. Congrats and good luck with everything, enjoy every minute because it goes by fast.
  • Florawanda
    Florawanda Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Agree that you should follow doctor's advice... but who said you should not diet while pregnant? Years ago with each of my pregnancies we were advised to watch our weight and eat healthily. And the first serious diet programme I followed was actually when we lived in Connecticut 34 years ago, as I was 185 lbs, and knew pregnancy on top of that would be problematic, and we were planning our fourth. I started the programme in January, and by the end of March realised I was pregnant, consulted the programme leader, and my doctor, who all advised it was fine to carry on. We returned to UK in August, and I weighed only 146 lbs, and was 6 months pregnant! Our lovely daughter was born in November, small, but perfectly healthy. Alas, back in UK, 4 small children, a house move to a new part of the country, and chocolate digestives (grahams) were my undoing! I also did Aquatoning, an early form of Aquarobics, at the YWCA - alas, when I got back to the UK they had never heard of it then, but whenever I swim, I still do the exercises I learned then!

So go for it, eat sensibly, and exercise sensibly. And many congratulations!
  • skateboardstef
    skateboardstef Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    You need to ask a doctor or a dietician. The first trimester is very critical, if you are counting calories you may not be getting all the nutrients baby needs.
  • rebyekah
    Options
    I wouldn't trust anyone but a doctor. Everyone will have different things on what you should and shouldn't do. Make an appointment and go see your Doctor for the advice you want.

Congrats

Ditto on that. Best to keep it low impact (like walking) and keep your calories at maintenance + exercise calories until you can see your doctor. I had twins (which is considered a high-risk pregnancy) so my dr. had me on walking only. But some women can run marathons up until delivery (like that lady last year did in Chicago?). Everybody is different and every pregnancy is different.

If it is any consolation I lost weight during my first trimester because I was throwing up so much. :-)
  • betzh
    betzh Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    THanks everyone I do plan on visiting the doctor next week. I can see lots of different opinions are out there, I appreciate your help