New Rules of Lifting for Women

Options
Has anyone else done the New Rules of Lifting for Women workouts? If so, I have a question. I did the first workout today, and the last exercise, the prone jackknife, almost made me the laughingstock of the gym! If you had trouble with this exercise, did it get better? I end up falling off the ball after about 5 reps because I don't have the strength to walk myself back onto the ball! Thankfully, I really don't care what the others in the gym think about what I'm doing, so they can laugh if they want to. The problem is, I start laughing, which doesn't help me have enough control to walk back either.

Any tips from someone who's done this workout?

Replies

• Eponine7
    Eponine7 Posts: 161
    Options
    I am very interested in this workout--do you have the buy the book or is there a website with the exercises you could recommend?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    It definitely works and I incorporate it with all my female clients! There's even a thread on it in the Groups section.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I bought the book and photocopied the training log. I also photocopied just the exercises I needed for today's workout so I could easily refer to them. The exercises aren't listed on the website. The workout was good, though...I burned more calories (according to my BodyMedia armband) doing that than doing the weight machines, probably because the exercises are whole-body (ninerbuff, am I right about that?). I'm going to alternate this with C25K (C25K T/Th/Sa, and NROL M/W/F).
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I just bought the book over the holidays, but haven't started reading it yet. Curious to hear what others think though....
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I bought the book and photocopied the training log. I also photocopied just the exercises I needed for today's workout so I could easily refer to them. The exercises aren't listed on the website. The workout was good, though...I burned more calories (according to my BodyMedia armband) doing that than doing the weight machines, probably because the exercises are whole-body (ninerbuff, am I right about that?). I'm going to alternate this with C25K (C25K T/Th/Sa, and NROL M/W/F).
    Would be correct. Incorporating more muscle fibers into a movement will requires more energy. That's why leg work is so exhausting.

IDEA Fitness member
  • juliagulia624
    Options
    I just purchased this book from amazon but have not received it yet. From what I know about it, I already do alot of the exercises, but sometimes I am not consistent with a routine for a long enough period and I may even over-do it. I will let you know my experience after 4 weeks, and hopefully you can do the same. NINERBUFF do you perhaps have the link to the thread? Looked in the groups section but couldnt find it.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I just purchased this book from amazon but have not received it yet. From what I know about it, I already do alot of the exercises, but sometimes I am not consistent with a routine for a long enough period and I may even over-do it. I will let you know my experience after 4 weeks, and hopefully you can do the same. NINERBUFF do you perhaps have the link to the thread? Looked in the groups section but couldnt find it.
    I PM'd the OP. Hopefully I get the link soon.

IDEA Fitness member
  • MoooveOverFluffy
    MoooveOverFluffy Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I just started today, and i have to admit that the prone jacknife was VERY hard to do. It was hard to mount and dismount (?) LOL!!! But i got through it without killing myself. We'll be doing these workouts for 6 weeks, so i'm sure we will get the hang of it. Wanna be friends?!!
  • MoooveOverFluffy
    MoooveOverFluffy Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Here's the link for the group (just found it myself). Looks like there is some helpful info here...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w
  • Dellie22
    Dellie22 Posts: 167
    Options
    is this something I could do at home or would I need the equipment in a gym ?
  • seph_house
    seph_house Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    (why, yes, i did a quick stalk of your forum posts after getting your friend request:)

no replies on this so i will jump in. in theory you can do it all at home with some basics of equipment and the book does give you a bunch of suggestions for how to adapt or substitute according to what you do have. if you've found the MFP group talked about up there^^ i bet there are a bunch of people who can guide & suggest who have done it themselves.
    my best guess is that you could do most if not everything at home with a decent set of dumbells and a sturdy step.

i bought NROL4W ages ago & got a bit intimidated by it and the equipment requirements. but that was before i ever picked up a dumbell. now a few months on, i think i have the confidence to substitute as required. i'm only half way through stage 1 though (started new years day:) so we'll see how it goes!
  • deekaydee
    deekaydee Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Yes, the jackknifes get easier. I was a bumbling fool the first time, too -- by the end of Stage 1 I was a pro at them.

The author explains some accommodations for doing the program at-= home, but there are some fairly serious equipment requirements. There are some people in the NROL4W group that are doing it at home, you might get some good insights from there.
  • turningstar
    turningstar Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I just finished the first workout yesterday. I need to incorporate more weight, because it didn't feel like I did enough. You can do these at home with dumbbells and a bar if you have it. Im doing them at home until I can get form down, then ill do them at the gym. My only concern is the food. I am following the book and not doing strenuous anaerobic activity in my off days, but my calorie requirements is much higher, and it freaks me out mentally to eat that much and not burn it off! I understand the science behind it though. You can't build muscle in a deficit. Im just hoping this all pays off!
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    I do New Rules. The jackknife does get easier :smile: You should join the group!
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I just got New Rules a few days ago and I'm still reading the book, so I haven't actually done any of the workouts yet. I have done prone jack-knifes in workout DVD's though, and they are rough!
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    I've read the book already and want to start the workouts, but go figure my gym doesn't have a squat rack or any kind of rack for benching and apparently this holds true for 99% of the clubs in the city. Pain in the *kitten*!
  • fab50G
    fab50G Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I've only done that move in my living room and thankfully so, I have yet to master even one rep without falling off the ball! I'm sure it's quite entertaining to watch. LOL
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    It just takes practice, you'll get the hang of it. Here's a video that shows how to perform the exercise correctly. Done this way, it's the BEST ab/core exercise ever!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6q7k_D6DGQ&list=PL4CE51ED9E54AA7C3&index=2&feature=plpp_video
  • bodyjammin85
    bodyjammin85 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have a modification for that. Set up the same way but instead of bending your knees, lock them out straight. Lift your butt in the air into a pike position (think a diver bringing his knees to his chest with straight legs) The following link shows a guy doing it with a TRX suspension unit but the ball works the same way. It's the 3rd exercise he does called suspended crunch to pike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fgi6FE-FUo