Wii fit VS Kinect

Options
I go to the gym. I also have an xbox 360. I am considering getting a Wii and wii fit, or just buying kinect and using that for additional exercise...but which is better? is it worth it to go and buy a wii (and the wii fit) or just buy kinect?

Replies

• CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I love the Kinect, no controllers and really intuitive. Plus you already have the xbox 360 so it would just be a quick add-on rather than a whole new system.

Target had a deal where if you bought the Kinect sensor you would get a FREE FitBit, not sure if you've seen that discussed and are interested at all but it would be a nice little perk. Not sure if the deal is still going or not, but worth looking into as it would mean an additional nifty gadget to add to your weightless arsenal. :-)
  • no_worries
    no_worries Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I use the Kinect and I play Adventures. It's a great workout, fun, and one of the levels were you jump and dodge obstacles really burns the calories.
  • JRaduski10
    Options
    I love my Kinect. When I want to use it to work out I put on Zumba or Your Shape - Fitness Evolved. Both make me sweat, and they're fun! Especially Zumba. :)
  • XshinyrockX7
    Options
    A friend of mine Mamamindi uses the kinect and has the biggest loser workout sessions. She loves it and it has a webcam on it so it monitors body movements to make sure your doing it right. I'm thinking of getting one too!
  • Taj_11x3
    Taj_11x3 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    FYI: I found that the wii fit game is not really a challenge. If you decide on the wii look into EA active game. You can start off on the easy mode and change it as you progress.
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    we have the regular 360 (one of those winter bundles from a few years ago)

what exactly do we need to use the kinect?

What games should we get? (do any fitness games come with the kinect?)

what is a FITBIT?
  • petalrose
    petalrose Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    We have a wii, but when we bought our kinect we rarely play the wii anymore.Kinect is so much better IMO, I have Adventures, Zumba and Just Dance 3 and they really make you sweat and are lots of fun.Also, random games on other ones like kinect sports and motion sports Adrenaline has skiing, volleyball, boxing. etc. that can work well too.
  • LilacDreamer
    Options
    I love the Kinect, no controllers and really intuitive. Plus you already have the xbox 360 so it would just be a quick add-on rather than a whole new system.

Target had a deal where if you bought the Kinect sensor you would get a FREE FitBit, not sure if you've seen that discussed and are interested at all but it would be a nice little perk. Not sure if the deal is still going or not, but worth looking into as it would mean an additional nifty gadget to add to your weightless arsenal. :-)

the only deals ive seen involve purchasing the 4gig 360 and kinect and you get the fitbit....nothing with just buying kinect and getting a fitbit.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, Kinect is better than Wii. It tracks your whole body properly, so you can't cheat or be doing moves incorrectly by accident.

Some of the proper fitness games have REALLY worked for my toning in the past, and I now regularly use the 'lighter' games for a bit of additional calorie burn where I can.

I honestly think it's one of the best creations for someone looking to lose weight in the comfort of their own home, ever.
  • CupcakeHips
    Options
    Kinect definitely! ^_^

15638096.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • lil_ztar1989
    Options
    i have the kinect, when u buy it u get a free game with it, but there are loads of exercise and activitie games for it.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Kinect and fitness evolved 2012!
  • meliibabii87
    Options
    Kinect is a great workout!
    Dance Central 2! and I can not wait until the new zumba comes out!
    =]
  • Jobine1965
    Options
    do they have Zumba for wii?
  • ogypsy0soulo
    ogypsy0soulo Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have the Wii and the Wii Fit. Recently, my younger brother acquired a Kinect for his Xbox 360. Yes, it does come with a couple of games that will really get you moving.

As a former GameStop employee and a part time gamer myself (not so much since I've been in college now, however) I have to say that the best purchase BY FAR (after utilizing both) for fitness is the Kinect. Hands down, there is no question there.

The Wii does have games such as: EA Active, Gold's Gym, Wii Fit I, Wii Fit 2, Zumba, etc

The Kinect has far more options and gives a much more "total body" work out than the Wii or the Wii Fit combined.

Now, every time I see my brother, I make sure to commandeer his Xbox and Kinect for a while!

Hope this helps! :)
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    we have the regular 360 (one of those winter bundles from a few years ago)

what exactly do we need to use the kinect?

What games should we get? (do any fitness games come with the kinect?)

what is a FITBIT?

All you need for the Kinect is to buy the Kinect (if you already have the 360). There will be two cords in the box as well. Depending on how old your Xbox 360 is, you may need one or both of them. Instructions also come in the box.

You also need to make sure you have enough play space. If you have a small space, you may want to invest in a wall mount for the Kinect sensor.

I would get Your Shape Fitness Evolved 2012 and Just Dance or Dance Central when it comes to working out. If you have a Disney fan in your home, Disneyland Adventures is a fun game as well, but it is not meant for a workout. I usually use it as a cool down!

There is a new Zumba coming out soon as well. The original for Kinect has horrid reviews and I would not waste my money on it. Hopefully the new one will be better.

More information on the Kinect can be found on the Xbox site!
  • lore2810
    lore2810 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    our xbox is a few years old and we were able to buy the kinect
    you don't need anything extra for the kinect just the sensor
  • LilacDreamer
    Options
    our xbox is a few years old and we were able to buy the kinect
    you don't need anything extra for the kinect just the sensor

we won the kinect on ebay this week and received it the other day.

we also had to buy an ADAPTER because our Xbox 360 is from 2009.

The Kinect came with Kinect adventures, and so far i have won Your Shape Fitness Evolved 2012 and Zumba Fitness (both on ebay) and eventually I'll try for the Zumba Fitness Rush

Trying to figure out what other games we should get. I'm not sure what the dance games are like (just dance, dance central) so i dont know if i'd like them or not. tough decision.