struggling with sugar

Options
Im really struggling with my sugar allowance!
Im allowed 32 per day, by the time I have had weetabix or porridge oats for breakfast and a banana I am already over!

this means I shouldn't have any more fruit for the day as these lead me way into negative on my sugar!
What can I do?! I don't want to skip breakfast!

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I don't track sugar. I don't eat a lot of refined sugar or products that contain it. As long as my carbs are with my set limits I don't worry. I track Cholesterol.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I avoid struggling with it by not tracking it at all. :-)
  • tnorth82
    tnorth82 Posts: 186
    Options
    everything else is fine and well within goals but Im always over sugar. Am I allowed to not count the fruit sugars and just count sugar in foods?
  • cdthom
    cdthom Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    dont count sugar
  • teacup8285
    Options
    I am diabetic and so count carbs, but i am allowed 30-45 per meal and 15 or so per snack in between. It seems like you are not getting enough carb allowance. Is this a special diet.
  • gracie97007
    gracie97007 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    do you have to track sugar for health reasons? like diabetes? have you tried eating greek yogurt? it's lower in calories and besides very filling. I tried it a year ago and hated it but i have since restarted with the idea...i will like this. I especially like the blueberry ones. i eat chobani nearly every morning for breakfast along with either an apple or some grapefruit. bananas are much higher in sugar content
  • tnorth82
    Options
    no special diet, just what my MFP settings were for my 1200 calories, I am getting plenty of carbs and protein within my allowance.

I have deleted the sugar tab, Im not holding back eating fruit because it has sugar in it, thats silly

thanks guys x
    :happy:
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    everything else is fine and well within goals but Im always over sugar. Am I allowed to not count the fruit sugars and just count sugar in foods?
    Sugar is included in Carbs. As long as you are getting your sugar from healthy sources and are not going over on your carbs for the day. Don't worry about sugar. That's just my opinion.
  • catontjoc
    catontjoc Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! I am allowed 24 g of sugar a day. My morning coffee alone is 15 g. I just can't give up my peppermint mocha yet. I have a hard time meeting my daily caloric intake because I am so focused on going over on my sugar. Today, I have decided I am not going to count fruits a and veggies when they deduct sugar. I couldn't believe it when it took 7 g for a cutie..the little small orange. I am just going to keep an eye on my carbs.
  • teacup8285
    Options
    I think counting carbs is the way to go. I walk 4 miles a day/5 days week and follow my diet and have lots 65 pounds and my blood sugar is always great.Anything to extreme will make anyone give up.
  • KJVBear33
    KJVBear33 Posts: 628
    Options
    For me, I don't do any added sugar to anything........and I don't worry about sugar intake.......yet. I am going to be learning more on nutrition now that I have the motivation of going to work out set. I work out every single day of the week for an hour or hour and thirty minutes depending on the day. I should be losing more than what I am and definitely shouldn't be gaining and losing the same three pounds I have been. I should be going down for as much as I work out. If I glean anything off of these nutrition meetings about sugar, I will pass on info.
  • mandy42smith
    Options
    Are you a coffee drinker? I found that if I dont drink coffee, I dont crave the sweets, therefore I eat less sugar items and more healthy. I usually have a yoplait yogurt light fat free for breakfast and that helps me to eat something for breakfast and not over do it on the sugar and protein.

13236620.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • tnorth82
    Options
    I dont add sugar or eat sweets, its just naturally occurring in most fruits and veggies :huh:
  • KJVBear33
    KJVBear33 Posts: 628
    Options
    Are you a coffee drinker? I found that if I dont drink coffee, I dont crave the sweets, therefore I eat less sugar items and more healthy. I usually have a yoplait yogurt light fat free for breakfast and that helps me to eat something for breakfast and not over do it on the sugar and protein.

13236620.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

I have learned to drink coffee without the added sugar......not too bad if you ask me, but it is an acquired taste. As for the yogurt......this is a good choice for you, but if you are looking to cut sugar, I would go for the Greek yogurt for breakfast for myself. Yoplait light and all other light yogurts have aspertame in it which is a form of sugar. And I have heard that cutting all forms of added sugar and wherever else you can get away from sugar, the better off you will be. Do you drink pop? If so, try cutting out ALL pop and only stick to water. That will also help emensely. Hope this helps!
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I had to look up weetabix. The sugars are VERY low for this item. How are you getting to 32g of sugar when what I found only has 2-3g per serving?
  • bigbeardiver
    bigbeardiver Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I agree carb intake versus sugar is more important. Quality of the carbs is important as well, same as fat. You need fat for other bodily processes, the better quality the better you support those other processes. Coffee is an appetite stimulant too so be careful, it can make you "crave" other things. I switched to different tea products but found that dehydrates me. If you do have health concerns most likely they have some impact on kidneys and with dehydration just compounds the issue. I originally lost 85 lbs and my blood sugars got much worse, loosing weight doesn't always resolve underlying health care problems, the body is complex. A balanced diet and balanced nutrion is an art and is not simple. Increase Protein you need more calcium. Increase something else you need more of another substance to counteract or inhibit or speed up y. In the end, managing a healthy weight is beneficial.
  • tnorth82
    Options
    I had to look up weetabix. The sugars are VERY low for this item. How are you getting to 32g of sugar when what I found only has 2-3g per serving?

in my diary, when I enter 2 weetabix biscuits with semi skimmed milk it comes up as 16g sugar?!
  • jmo121402
    jmo121402 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had become too obsessed with my high sugar intake, so last week, I decided I was done with it; I started on Jamie Eason's LiveFit program ( http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-eason-livefit-trainer.html ) and am no longer eating processed junk (basically refined sugar or high fructose syrup). The only time I went over was I had OJ (not from concentrate), a banana and 2 servings of sweet potato in the same day. Limit fruits to the AM. Use xylitol instead of sugar; its expensive, but worth the health benefits. I lost this past week what I had lost in 3 weeks eating the processed foods. Good Luck!
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    i dont track sugar, but i do stay away from processed sugar and eat natural sugars instead like honey. natural honeys found in fruits are so much better for you than say processed table sugar what can be found in most foods you get off the shelf
  • jmo121402
    jmo121402 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    look at the sugar content in milk alone. switch to unsweetened vanilla almond milk (almond breeze or silk). It really doesn't taste bad. It may take a week or 2 to get used to it, but it is so much healthier, NO sugar, and less calories. :)