Replies

• icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    Does anybody know where to start??
  • Najah5150
    Najah5150 Posts: 170
    Options
    Sorry Renee...I can't help ya on this one. I did the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer in 2006. I walked a marathon and a half. When I did the walk there were walk goups that we reached out to and joined up to train with. I dont' think any trainig I did could've gotten me ready for what I was about to endure. Honestly...I think it was the most amazing thing I'd done in my life this far (other than having my children). It was a very inspirational and beautiful thing. On the weekends my cousin and I would take LONG walks. We'd start out with something short and as the week's went by the walks got longer. Find somewhere that has different terraine's (sp?). Trust me...that will help you a lot. You never know the course and what kind obsticles you may face along the way. I walked in San Francisco. In the end, I ended up losing a toe nail, had bad callus' on my feet and hurt my knee a little.:grumble: :embarassed: :frown: It was recoverable though. I'd do it all over again too.:happy:

~Naj~

I guess I could help ya out after all:wink:
  • icandoit
    Options
    You only 2 hours away..Do you want to join me??
  • Gats
    Gats Posts: 42
    Options

Ans : 26 miles before the finish :noway:

Sorry couldn't resist it .....
    hat , coat ......... gone
  • acampbell2345
    Options
    you should go to runnersworld.com.

they helped me alot getting started on my first marathon
  • icandoit
    Options

Ans : 26 miles before the finish :noway:

Sorry couldn't resist it .....
    hat , coat ......... gone

:laugh: :laugh:
  • icandoit
    Options

Thank you:flowerforyou:
  • icandoit
    Options

Thank you:flowerforyou:
  • melathon
    melathon Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Good for you!
    I have used different ones but the best for me was Hal Higdon's (www.halhigdon.com). It's been over 2 years since my last marathon and now that I'm a little bigger and slower, I've discovered Jeff Galloway's training methods: www.jeffgalloway.com. He uses a combination of running and walking. You can adjust the ratios of run/walk to suit you and your goals. These feel friendlier on my body, but if you're at the point where you can run 10-15 miles/week you may just want to jump right into Hal Higdon's method. (You'd choose the "Novice 1.")
    Keep us posted and let us know where your first marathon will be (I say "first," 'cause there's never just one. You get hooked.) :smile:
  • Najah5150
    Najah5150 Posts: 170
    Options

Hey Renee...did you get all the info yet?
  • icandoit
    Options

Hey Renee...did you get all the info yet?

I will have it all at the end of the month.
  • arolsma
    arolsma Posts: 15
    Options
    runners world.com is a good place to start.

I'm planning on running the marine corps marathon in DC this year. MY GOAL. I ran two 1/2 marathons in Sicily and am very excited to try. I have gained some weight since coming back to the states and am determined to lose weight and maintain a healthy life style.
  • jason7
    jason7 Posts: 20
    Options
    I'm running a mini-tri and all I can say is pay money for a good pair of shoes. Your knees and feet with thank you.
  • FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Hi Renee...welcome back from vacation! Hope it was wonderful!
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    If you google "beginning running" or "marathon training" or something like that, you will get a lot of different helps. I did that a few weeks ago - I think I googled beginning running and got a lot of helpful info and training tips - not doing a marathon though!! Hope you find what you're looking for and enjoy it.
  • deanea
    deanea Posts: 1,437
    Options
    When I trained for the half marathon I went on the internet and just a a general search, tonnes of info and training plans came up, I just chose the training plan that seemed most common between sites, safest, and fit into my lifestyle and time frame the best. It worked, I made it through the race.:tongue:
  • 2kidsandadog
    2kidsandadog Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    If you have a RunningRoom in your area you could join one of their clinics. Twice a week you run with your group and once a week there are different topics that you learn about to help you achieve your goal. When I wanted to complete my first half marathon I joined a clinic and found it very helpful, especially on those days when you just don't feel like excercising it is good to know that there are people that will motivate you. I am currently training for my first ultra-marathon and am in a clinic and know it helps me on my days that I have to do my LSD(long slow distance) runs.