zumba for the wii

Options
sloew
sloew Posts: 106 Member
Has anyone done the zumba for the wii? Do you like it? Is it a good workout or just fun?
Thanks!

Replies

• PeekABooGirl
    PeekABooGirl Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'd love to know the answer to this as well! I've never done Zumba but it looks fun! Is it something that beginners would be able to tackle?
  • MummyOfSeven
    MummyOfSeven Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    My daughter has it, but not for the Wii. She doesn't live at home so I've never seen her do it, but she highly recommends that I get it for the Wii. She does say, however, that you need a fair bit of space, which I don't have :-(
  • jenniakers
    Options
    I would love to hear opinions of those who have tried it too... Plus Wii Zumba vs. Zumba II...
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    I have zumba 1 and 2 for the nintendo wii, and i have to say its the best fitness game ive got!.. It's sooo fun, you dont even realise your excercising and burning hundreds of calories!! :bigsmile:

I would defo go out and buy it!!

Zumba 1 doesnt tell you calories burnt - soo you would have to invest in a heart rate monitor.. Whereas zumba 2 tells you calories burnt, and its alot better than the first, as theres much more routines, better songs, dances etc etc :)
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,426 Member
    Options
    I will probably be in the minority here with the responses you will get but I use it as my exercise of last resort (like this morning!). I don't burn hardly any calories but it's better than nothing. Depending on your level of fitness, some folks burn tons. I also find that there is only one zumba group class where I burn significant calories and get my heart rate up and that class is more a mixture of hip hop/zumba/funk so we move tons there. Definitely beginners could do this workout though and it is fun so if it gets you moving I'm all for it.
  • MummyOfSeven
    Options
    I have zumba 1 and 2 for the nintendo wii, and i have to say its the best fitness game ive got!.. It's sooo fun, you dont even realise your excercising and burning hundreds of calories!! :bigsmile:

Zumba 1 doesnt tell you calories burnt - soo you would have to invest in a heart rate monitor.. Whereas zumba 2 tells you calories burnt, and its alot better than the first, as theres much more routines, better songs, dances etc etc :)

How much space (square feet), minimum, would you say you need?
  • Amber824
    Amber824 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I LOVE, love, LOVE Zumba for the Wii. It is a great workout! I highly recommend it for people who prefer the comfort of their own living room!
  • Fairedust30
    Options
    I do zumba at a zumba club and on wii, if you arent sweating, then you arent putting enough intensity into it. Better to learn on wii before going to a class though! Getting ready to head to a 2 hr zumbathon now as we speak!! I would say get it off amazon and youll spend less incase you dont like it. If you like to dance, youll love it
  • phresh21
    phresh21 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have both of them and absolutly LOVE them. Though I have to say that Zumba 2 is better because there are more options for songs. I just got done and burned 792 calories via heart rate monitor and the screen said 802 so it isn't that far off. The harder you bring it the more you burn.
  • angel2874
    angel2874 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    How hard is it to learn the steps? I am very uncoordinated lol!!, but want to give it a try so bad, but don't want to waste my money if it is too hard to learn!!!
  • xSophia19
    Options

you need a little bit of space to move around in.. id say if you can take a few steps to the left, few steps to the right, and a few steps towards the tv, then you will be fine.

i dont have an awful lot of space in my livingroom, buts its enough, i just have to be careful not to take big steps to the right or else id be on the sofa:laugh:
  • xSophia19
    Options
    How hard is it to learn the steps? I am very uncoordinated lol!!, but want to give it a try so bad, but don't want to waste my money if it is too hard to learn!!!

when you first start on the game, it is hard to follow the steps, as some of them are a little fast, but you keep pracitising, and you will pick up the steps in no time!

my co-ordination is all over the shop :laugh: but the more you practice - the better you will become :smile:
  • mrsdauer
    mrsdauer Posts: 102
    Options
    i recently purchased zumba 2, i have used it twice in the past month.... it can be fun, but having a small living room to Zumba in.... doesnt work out so well! i know alot of people love it, i just get frustrated with it, because i sometimes cant figure out exactly what steps they are doing, i find myself making up my own steps :) i figure a little calorie burn is better than nothing!
    my sister got "just dance" and she loves it...not sure if that specific one will tell you calories burned or anything like that...if i were you, i would maybe ask around to friends, co-workers etc if they would let you "test it out" to see you want it...

good luck, have fun
  • LorMuldoon81
    LorMuldoon81 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    If I get lost on a step I just jump around, to keep myself moving.

Think I'll need to buy the 2nd one.
  • butterflimom
    Options
    I have the first Zumba for Wii and love it. I am looking forward to getting Zumba 2 and possibly the dance Dvds also. I burn about 300-400 calories per a 45 minute session. My kids will even join in with me. You don't realize that you are having fun, but boy do you sweat to death if you allow yourself to really get into it. I would also recommend using light hand weights and leg weights, if you can, just to give your workout that much more umph!. I am not one of those people who can go to a gym so between this, my cheap elliptical, and my WAH dvd's, this is what has helped me to lose over 60 pounds in the past 18 months.
  • MummyOfSeven
    Options

you need a little bit of space to move around in.. id say if you can take a few steps to the left, few steps to the right, and a few steps towards the tv, then you will be fine.

i dont have an awful lot of space in my livingroom, buts its enough, i just have to be careful not to take big steps to the right or else id be on the sofa:laugh:

What with the furniture and the little one's toy boxes, I have about 5 feet square on a good day :grumble:
  • jumbjugs123
    jumbjugs123 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I havent tried the zumba for the wii, but I have it for the xbox 360. I find it a good work-out. My main exercise of the day is the gym ball I have loads of fun on it. In 4 week I have lost 6lbs.
  • ShrinkRapt451
    ShrinkRapt451 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I have the Zumba DVD set, and just tried the Wii game (version 1) this week. As with the DVD set, there is a tutorial section where it teaches you the most commonly-used steps. DO THIS FIRST. At least twice. You won't work as hard, but it makes it easier to work hard later.

The game (version 1) also lets you self-select your level (easy, medium, hard -- not sure if this is to do with fitness level or dance ability yet, haven't played with it) and then self-select the beginner, intermediate, or advanced "class".

Personally, having gotten used to the DVDs, I found the "easy" setting WAY too easy. Hardly broke a sweat.

Note that the Wii game includes a belt that goes around the hip, and you put the remote in a pocket in the belt. If your hip measurement is over about 48" (a guesstimate on my part), you will not be able to wear the belt.

And I need a space about 6 feet by 6 feet to do all the moves comfortably and without running into things. (Basically, spread your arms. If you can touch something with hands or feet within that distance, you need more space.)