Diet Soda in the morning

Options
I know that diet soda is bad for us, but I really do like a diet mt. dew occassionally. I have found that if I drink it first thing in the morning I get kind of foggy headed, wierd feeling. Does anybody know the reason behind this? Is it from the Diet soda? Perhaps the artificial sweetner or the caffiene. Does this ever happen to any of you???

Replies

• HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I know that diet soda is bad for us,

If you believe that i assume you dont eat fish, meat, veg, eggs, fruit, or drink water, coffee, alcohol, juice, normal soda, etc?

It's fine for 99% of us. It hydrates you, and has practically no calories. If you start not eating things because of scaremongering rumours, you'll end up starving to death.

You may have caffeine/sweetener issues, so go to the doc just to get checked out. I drink it all the time, and its worked wonders in saving me cals!
  • miseducation1327
    miseducation1327 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Soda does not hydrate!!!!! It is awful for you...especially diet soda which is full of artificial sweetners that can potentially cause a lot of damage to your body and neurological system...do some research and you'll be amazed at what you find out! I would have no doubt that that is what is causing those issues for you.
  • akrzyzewski
    akrzyzewski Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You are right that diet soda is bad for you, It's just as bad if not worse than regular soda, so don't let anyone tell you it's ok. It's not bad occasionally, but occasional should be no more than once a week
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Soda does not hydrate!!!!! It is awful for you...especially diet soda which is full of artificial sweetners that can potentially cause a lot of damage to your body and neurological system...do some research and you'll be amazed at what you find out! I would have no doubt that that is what is causing those issues for you.
    Uh, please explain why soda does not hydrate?
    The simply act of adding carbonation to water is simply aesthetic, and does not effect how the water is processed in your body. Your body easy removes the carbonation, and is left with just water.
    So what else is in soda? The next big ingredient in sodas is sugar. Unlike carbonation, high sugar content does slow hydration. Your body needs more time to process these sugars, and therefore devotes some water away from other places in your body to break down the sugar. That being said, the effect is rather minimal. Take a look at Gatorade for instance. It prides itself as being one of the best ways to hydrate, as well as add electrolytes back into your body. However, Gatorade also has very high sugar content. Depending on the brand, Gatorade can be just as sugary as soda. But for the sake of argument, let’s consider diet soda. There is no sugar in diet sodas, only chemical sweeteners which have been shown to have no effect on hydration (showed through studies of low-calorie and zero-calorie flavored water).
    Could dehydration stem from the sodium concentration in soda? The answer here is a simple no. Sodium helps your body retain water, and stay hydrated. However, sodas are very weak sources of sodium, so any effect either way is practically non-existent.
    But there’s still a big elephant in the room when it comes to soda, and that’s the caffeine content. For years, experts were saying that caffeine acted as a diuretic in the body, causing you to urinate more fluid and therefore become less hydrated. However, real world studies have shown that caffeine has only a mild diuretic effect, similar to that of just plain water.

If I do enough "research", I can find that kittens cause cancer.
    cats-cause-cancer.angelfire.com
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Soda certainly can hydrate you, its just not the best choice.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283/NSECTIONGROUP=2

OP - Go with what your body is telling you. I don't care for the taste of most diet sodas, and rarely have them. That being said, I've never experienced the symptoms you describe either. From what I have read in these forums, a number of people experience headaches and such from diet soda. If it makes you physically ill, then you should avoid it.
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    If your diet soda (or pop, as we call it here ;) is making you feel weird, then I would NOT drink it. Some people have bad effects from artificial sweeteners, especially those containing aspartame. And anything they don't recommend for pregnant women is something NO one should touch! If it's bad for that developing baby, it's bad for you.

Personally, I enjoy a pop now and then....not diet........but rarely, as it's just extra sugar and calories.

I love the bubbles, so now when I get a craving, I'll often take sparkling water (the plain, unflavored one) and add a tiny bit of fruit juice or Powerade for a bit of sweet. Really satisfies that bubbly thing I'm wanting, without a ton of sugar/calories.

Good luck!
  • sarahbear1981
    sarahbear1981 Posts: 610 Member
    Options

Uh, please explain why soda does not hydrate?
    The simply act of adding carbonation to water is simply aesthetic, and does not effect how the water is processed in your body. Your body easy removes the carbonation, and is left with just water.
    So what else is in soda? The next big ingredient in sodas is sugar. Unlike carbonation, high sugar content does slow hydration. Your body needs more time to process these sugars, and therefore devotes some water away from other places in your body to break down the sugar. That being said, the effect is rather minimal. Take a look at Gatorade for instance. It prides itself as being one of the best ways to hydrate, as well as add electrolytes back into your body. However, Gatorade also has very high sugar content. Depending on the brand, Gatorade can be just as sugary as soda. But for the sake of argument, let’s consider diet soda. There is no sugar in diet sodas, only chemical sweeteners which have been shown to have no effect on hydration (showed through studies of low-calorie and zero-calorie flavored water).
    Could dehydration stem from the sodium concentration in soda? The answer here is a simple no. Sodium helps your body retain water, and stay hydrated. However, sodas are very weak sources of sodium, so any effect either way is practically non-existent.
    But there’s still a big elephant in the room when it comes to soda, and that’s the caffeine content. For years, experts were saying that caffeine acted as a diuretic in the body, causing you to urinate more fluid and therefore become less hydrated. However, real world studies have shown that caffeine has only a mild diuretic effect, similar to that of just plain water.

If I do enough "research", I can find that kittens cause cancer.
    cats-cause-cancer.angelfire.com

^^This^^
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I think I am just foggy headed in the morning no matter what xD

I would try it for yourself, take out the soda for a while and see if it works :]
  • vvanm
    vvanm Posts: 157
    Options
    I quit my daily diet soda habit and gained no weight from the change. My endocrinologist told me that the sweet taste boosts insulin levels so it actually makes you hungrier. Our brains don't process artificial sweetners as no calorie. Once in a while I still have a diet soda but it is no longer a staple in my fridge. My preference now is orange juice or any other juice in half portions, diluted with sparkling flavored mineral water. I also like Good Earth Sweet and Spicy tea for 3 calories and strong flavor.
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I have diet sodas all the time including the morning, and have since I started on MFP... its been 18 months and I've lost 1/3 of my weight. Like the other poster said, it's 98% water with carbonation -- how can it not hydrate you?

Don't believe the negative hype about artificial sweeteners like nutrasweet and sucralose. These have been studied as much as drosophila melanogaster and are as safe as anything can be. As always when I say this in the forums, I refuse to re-visit this thread to debate about it.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options

Sources?