Wii Fit Zumba or Zumba 2

Options
I'm looking for more stuff to do at home... I'm interested in Zumba but have never done it before and am about 50lbs overweight and very out of shape. Is Zumba something that an overweight beginner could handle? And is the Wii game set up so that as you get better, the routines get harder?

And what's the belt thing I've heard about? It is something you you have to buy separate?

Replies

• nance71724
    Options
    Hi. I have the Wii Fit Zumba. It's quite a cardio workout! I, too, am about 50 lbs overweight and out of shape. I can only do the introductory, maybe 5 minute dance, but it's got me moving. It really is fun. You wear a belt and put the controller in the belt. It can tell if your hips/legs are moving, and as you move, it gives you dance points. Really is fun. I also use the Wii Active, which I love! It has a belt that goes around your thigh, and the Nunchuck fits in a pocket. There's a resistance band for doing bicep curls, triceps, etc., and there's running on the track (in place of course), basketball, tennis and boxing. It worked really well for me last year, but then I broke my ankle. Having surgery in 2 weeks, so my exercise has been zero to none for the past 6 months. Can't wait to have this surgery so I can pull out the Wii again. I like the Wii Active better than the Zumba because there's so much variety, a training, and a 30 day challenge with pre-set workouts. But the Zumba is a fun activity for those non-workout days, or if you just want to dance for a few minutes. Good luck!
  • MrsT_2009
    MrsT_2009 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have Wii Zumba 2. I have struggled to keep up in Zumba classes but always found them to be fun, so having the option to do this in the privacy of my own home is awesome. It is a good workout and there are options for low, medium, and high impact songs. There is also a section to learn the steps. Sometimes I find it hard to follow but just tell myself to keep moving because I am at least burning some calories!

The belt holds the wii remote and comes in the package with the game.
  • maru84
    maru84 Posts: 128
    Options
    http://www.gamestop.com/accessories/zumba-fitness-belt-standalone/89812?ref=recpdp&cross=231034#productDetails

Looks like the belt is something optional so you can be totally hands free.

I have never heard of Zumba for the Wii- I'm stoked!!
  • beccahansen
    Options
    You are totally fine to do Zumba while 50 lbs overweight, I've seen 200-300 lbs people do zumba! The game is set up with a ton of different songs, for a beginner you could just find the easier songs, and then as you get in better shape you can move on to the harder songs. I bought my zumba 2 at wal mart and it came with the belt... it's just a little material and mesh belt thing that velcros around your waist that you put the remote in on your hip so it can track your movements to give you a better calorie burn count.
    It's really fun, good luck!
    Oh-... make sure you get the zumba 2 and not the original, the second version is MUCH better! It should be about $40
  • LorMuldoon81
    LorMuldoon81 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I have the first Zumba for the wii, when you buy it, you get the belt with it in the box. It starts of at beginners level and all in that's a 25 minute workout.

As you get better you'll progress to higher different levels, like intermediate etc.

I think you get out of it what you put into it, I do it with my kids and take it fairly easy (as I dont want to bang into them and cause them an injury!) but when I'm on my own, I do the same workout, except I'll work at it a bit harder.

It's really good fun....I put the blinds down and jump about....it's good when no one can see you...no cares!
  • CherryOnionKiss
    CherryOnionKiss Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    the belt isn't optional. you have to have the Wii remote somewhere on yourself for it to register your movements.
  • Bekzness
    Bekzness Posts: 122
    Options
    Thanks for asking this question, this is exactly what I wanted to know...

But more about which one to get... the original Zumba for Wii or the newer Zumba Fitness 2?
  • amytarpley8
    Options
    I have the Wii Fit and the Zumba. I'm not crazy about the Fit b/c most of it you have to stand on a platform and I don't feel like I'm doing anything. With the Zumba, you have to wear a band around your waist and put the remote in the band. It scores you by measuring your movement which may or may not be correlated to the actual dance moves. With my experience the stupid band won't stay put and I spend half my time readjusting it. The dances do have 3 levels but you kind of have to figure out the starting points on your own. It took me a while not to be frustrated and just watch their feet and figure it out. If you don't already have a Wii and are looking for something interactive like it I say go with the connex on x box. I don't have one but it scans your body and gets a much better picture of what you are actually doing. And I think there are more options, ie biggest loser, micheal jackson, black eyed peas. plus you aren't trying to keep up with a remote.
  • rebeccawalker1982
    rebeccawalker1982 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have the 1st Zumba...rented it from blockbuster and you can get a good work out with it..the belt is optional...just hold the remote in your hand...thats what I do because when you rent it online, you dont get the belt int he mail.
  • Bekzness
    Options

Oh-... make sure you get the zumba 2 and not the original, the second version is MUCH better! It should be about $40

That's what I was looking for.. thanks ;)
  • Mcoffee96
    Mcoffee96 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am 65 pounds overweight and not that rythmic and I can do this ..... we'll put it this way, I sorta get the moves and enjoy it, but the curtains are closed so the neighbors don't see (They would get a good laugh if they did). I have tried the Zumba and the Zumba 2 and I prefer the Zumba 2 game. You can actually see the characters which for some reason it makes it a little easier to see what moves they want you to do. Go for it! It's at least good for a laugh. :)
  • bearwithme041
    Options
    get zumba 2 I read up about it ...they did the zumba 2 different then the first ...

6261264.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • Bekzness
    Options
    If you don't already have a Wii and are looking for something interactive like it I say go with the connex on x box. I don't have one but it scans your body and gets a much better picture of what you are actually doing. And I think there are more options, ie biggest loser, micheal jackson, black eyed peas. plus you aren't trying to keep up with a remote.

Also a note on these... You need a lot more space for the consoles which scan your body and you also need to be careful what you wear... if you wear clothes which are close to the colour of your background, walls etc.. it wont scan properly. They are also more expensive as a console... but if you have the cash and the space... go for it :)
  • zembre3
    zembre3 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Let me say that I have taken Zumba classes and I loved them. However, I recently purchased the Zumba 2 for wii and I love it even more than the class for the following reasons.

-You don't have to go out of the house to a scheduled class ( I do my workout usually after 9pm when the kids are sleeping.

- It tells you how many calories you've burned after eat song or at the end of the completed workout.

- You can select whether you want to do a short, middle or long workout. So if you only have 15 mins you would do the short workout.

-Also you can create your own workout, meaning a playlist of songs and whether you want a low impact, medium or high.

-lastly the workout is just fun and you don't have to be a dancer. I think this is the best investment I've made
  • monis01
    monis01 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Girl.... I'm like 200 lbs overweight. Zumba is great!! I can boogie with the best of them & it's a wonderful workout. Beto (the instructor) even tells you not to feel bad if you can't keep up. As long as you don't give up and keep trying. =)
  • tracy1727
    tracy1727 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have the Zumba 2 for Wii and I LOVE IT!! I also need to lose 50 lbs and about as uncoordinated as it comes (remember the Elaine dance on Seinfield? Yeah thats me) Since I just recently started working out for the first time....it was hard to get through a short session. Now I am doing the medium sessions. Its a great burn. When I cant quite keep up with the moves (and it always seems to be the instructor with the one leg of sweats rolled up....whooo I have cursed at her) I just fling my hands around from left to right while jumping...It was a great purchase and I dont regret it. (Ps got mine on amazon 29.99 free shipping)
  • Greyc
    Greyc Posts: 12
    Options
    i am about 50 lbs over weight also and I love Zumba for the wii I would definitely recommend Zumba 2 over one the people actually look real and they are easier to follow and the game has more options.

Good luck feel free to add me if you want more supportive friends
  • PeekABooGirl
    PeekABooGirl Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Girl.... I'm like 200 lbs overweight. Zumba is great!! I can boogie with the best of them & it's a wonderful workout. Beto (the instructor) even tells you not to feel bad if you can't keep up. As long as you don't give up and keep trying. =)

You crack me up! Thanks for sharing! Well there are many who I know can be over weight but still have more stamina and flexibility than me. (-: I tied (stupidly) starting with Jillian Michaels and thought I was going to have a heart attack! My thigh muscles were so sore for 3 days!

Really, I want smoething that's FUN and keeps me motivated. I don't want to get bored or else I won't exercise. And no exercise isn't gonna help me get a hot body!
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I've only played one time, the version where you wear the controller in a Zumba belt around your hips. There is a very big learning curve! I'd strongly recommend using the intro to the steps and going slow.

If you want something that is quicker to learn and can be just as active / sweaty / calorie burning, try Just Dance for the Wii.
  • Roll_Tide_Meg
    Roll_Tide_Meg Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I have both. I have only used Wii Fit a couple of times before I was tired of it. I bought Zumba 1 when it first came out and I lost a total of 25 lb with it and my abs looked and felt great! :) I just bought Zumba 2 the other day and I did it for the first time last night and I loved it. The dances are much more fun and the songs are very modern. All I recommend is a good heart rate monitor because although it tells you that it tracks calories, they aren't correct. It said I burned 225 and I acutally burned 387 (20 min short) because I was moving more than it asking me to do. Go for it! It's so much fun!!! You won't regret how you feel after a few weeks of Zumba! :)