Street Running and how to figure distance

Options
I am starting a 10k training program and part of it is intervals of 100 meters. I am used to doing intervals for time, but not for distance. I am not running on a track or anything that is pre measured, so how would I figure out 100 meters? Is there an average 100 meter time (not Usain Bolt like) that I could use instead?

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    The easiest way would be to measure your walking stride with a tape measure and then pace off the distance. It won't be exact but it will be close enough.
  • cacrat
    cacrat Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    mapmyrun.com
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    You could go to a track and figure out what your average 100m time is, then run those times. A regular track is 400 meters or 1/4 mile.
  • tedrussell
    Options
    Not sure about exactly 100m, but you can always do telephone polls or mailboxes.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    mapmyrun.com

I was going to suggest that when I read the title but after I read the question, for 100m, it isn't going to help.
  • Kilter
    Kilter Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    On average, on a road where there isn't a street between them, two light poles are @60m apart.

I noticed this one night while running and looking at my garmin and trying to figure out a 100m interval. Obviously this isn't exact, but it's close. I started doing 1 light pole intervals, then trying to estimate to 1.5 and finally just went to 2 lightpoles. I know it's a bit more than 100m, but I figure that's reasonable.

If you are on a street with short blocks though, this won't work as well of course. You have to add the width of the street into the calculation.

I know that's probably not much help, but it's what I wound up doing and it works well enough for my purposes.

And yes, I have a garmin so I could just do this by looking at my wrist, but intervals are usually speed based and I don't like holding my arm fixed and looking at my wrist while trying to push hard.

S
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I do my interval work on a treadmill to make this easier, but here are some ideas:

1) go to a track at a local school (probably the easiest)
    2) Get a friend who's got a bike with a tripmeter & have them "map out" 100m near your house
    3) " " Garmin watch " "
    4) There's gotta be an app that measures distance...
  • Pappabacon
    Pappabacon Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I guess it would be the best for me to time it on a track. Thanks for all the feedback!
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Www.walkjogrun.net
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    laser range finder
  • Switty_Kitty
    Switty_Kitty Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    www.runkeeper.com The app is great. Tells you distances, etc. Online, you can map it out.
  • daves160
    daves160 Posts: 600
    Options
    I have used Google Earth. There is a measurement tool to trace distances, and it is pretty accurate. I checked it with my garmin and it was very close.