Post C-section question

Options
So I had my son 3.5 years ago via emergency c-section. 9 months ago I had my twin girls via scheduled c-section. I have quite a bit of weight to loose. Day before delivery of my twins I was around 220. I am now down to 188lbs. (Pre children I was comfortable at 140lbs, I'm 5'5")

Anyway, I have like an overhang of fat where my incision scar is (can you say disgusting?!?). Will this overhang go away? What exercises do you suggest to help it along the way?

Replies

• sunflowerjesss
    sunflowerjesss Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    bump?
  • spiralated
    spiralated Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I did not have a c-section but I've had three low ab/pelvic surgeries and the one was more than 10 years ago and i still haven't gotten rid of that overhang. It's like my one big scar is indented. If you find something, good luck and let me know!
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I've had 2 c-sections and also twin girls on the last one I had. I've had to work really hard last year up until now to get to where Im at today. I dont think it will ever go away unless you have a tummy of some sort. I still have stretch marks and a line.

Good luck on your journey :flowerforyou:
  • catisalive
    Options
    So watching this, I have that's little over hang and I'm 173 pounds, I hope it will go down.
    I feel disgusting when my shirt comes up, or when I bend over.
    It just looks terrible.
    I also have the "prune belly" from all my stretch marks and I'm scared my body will never look the same even after weight loss.
  • sabrinalg
    sabrinalg Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Bump...I would like to hear responses to this as well. I had a c-section 3 yrs ago with my twin boys.
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I also did not have a C-section, but I have friends who have and have the same complaints. It appears to me that sometimes that thing is there to stay. Honestly, I had a vaginal birth and still have a "pouch" that wasn't there before I was pregnant, so I don't even know if it is unique to caesareans. I think some women may just be more prone to excess skin there, even if it isn't fatty. Good luck!
  • XshinyrockX7
    Options
    I have the same overhang from a post C-section scar and then they also went back through that scar to donate my kidney. I am 5'2 and weight 155 lbs right now I just started to change my diet and am trying to figure out what exercises to do to get ride of it too. So far my research has told me lots of cardio followed by core strengthening exercise. Good luck to you!
  • RenCara
    RenCara Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I had three c-sections, the last one being exactly 12 years ago today. I do not have an over-hang. I am 127 pounds and 5'5". I do normal workouts, like running, Pilates, etc... but never did anything specifically to get rid of extra skin in that area.

Good luck to you on reaching your fitness goals and CONGRATS on your growing family!
  • twinmama1987
    twinmama1987 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh, well, I had my twins boy/girl twins 2 years ago, i was down 203 at term and 150 2 weeks after delivery. Then within a year I was 195 lbs.. i said enough i started working, eventually did 2 rounds of p90x, 2 rounds of insanity;.. im doing turbo fire now.. I also had a csecton, extremely stretched out stomach.. Its not 100% better but atleast 50% here are some pics of my progress from the past 13-14 mos.

Add me if you like!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/twinmama1987
  • 3ur3ka
    3ur3ka Posts: 230
    Options
    I had a Csection in 2007. I have the same thing going on. I've always been told lots of cardio. If it is skin, you can either wait to see if it will shrink up on its own, but most people I know resort to surgery.
  • candj2009
    candj2009 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I've had 2 c-sections. After my daughter was born in Aug. 2010 I weighed 165 and had the overhang. I'm currently down to 145 and can honestly say it is getting better. When I had my son in 2003, I lost the overhang by the time he was 4, but I'd got back down to 125. It takes work, but it can be done.
  • walkwithme1
    walkwithme1 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" was 222 at my heaviest. I had two c sects. Lost 20 pounds the firs of last year with out exercising and in May really started watching my food and using a personal trainer. I've lost an additional 36 pounds. My trainer had me doing a little bit of everythig. Boxing, cycling, weights, cardio and I still have a long way to go but I can say there is a big change in that area for me and in large part the changes are due to the variety i had in my workouts. I know my belly may never be completely flat and this is what I hear from a lot of my girlfriends that have had a c sect. And I don't look at my scars and stretch marks as a bad thing. It reminds me of the blessings that I have and my two precious babies that I wouldn't trade for the world. So if I never have a flat belly or if I do have a little pooch no big deal. I have two amazing little boys that I would go through it for all over again.
    I hope I helped answer your question.
  • azsuzi
    azsuzi Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I had a C-section 19 years ago and I still have the overhang. The only time it did not look bad was when my son was 7, I weighed 145 pounds and did aerobics 3 times a week. My core was strong then and I had very little body fat - I still had a slight overhang, but I was comfortable in a 2-piece swimsuit for the first time in many years. It came back as I gained weight and let my strength conditioning slide. I consider it a well-earned battle scar and I'm very proud of my son, so no regrets.
  • 1981simm
    1981simm Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I had a c-section 3 yrs ago and I have the same issue I'm so self concious about it and not sure how to get rid of it. I lost ten lbs so it has went down but I plan on having another kid someday and I don't want it to get worse... I have been doin hip hop ABS... hoping that its working but we shall see
  • eeyorespal
    Options
    OOh girl I had my c-section 24 yrs ago and while I admit hadn't really gotten serious about trying to lose it until recently, it sounds like its a part of you. I think when the incision is made and where its made they cut into muscle, that may be the reason why its hard to get rid of. If anyone finds anything beside crunches that would work please reach out. Sorry not encouraging, empathic though.
  • Titebootay757
    Options
    I too had an emergency c-section years ago but I can share some of my lessons learned. The exercises that they tell you to do to bring those muscles back in line DO THEM and do those Kagel's too. I know you know that our abs won't snap back in to place like it would if we'd had vaginal births -- its just something about the birthing process that when the baby passes thru the birth canal that activates all these great hormones that cause all the muscles to get back where they're supposed to be. Do exercises that allow you to focus on your core muscles and I don't mean ramp up the crunches -- I hate those things and I think they're a waste and they don't seem to work. Try some yoga, you can get DVDs starting at under $10. Yoga does work when I first started I was kind of doubtful but if you do it routinely you'll see the benefit. It'll help with losing weight, with stretching and lengthening muscles, and strengthen those areas that need extra work like our abs and lower back. Unfortunately, you're going to have that pooch above your incision if you don't work on it consistently but in time with some effort it'll shrink Keep the metabolism reved up so you're constantly burning fat and continue to exercise to replace the fat with muscle. .:wink:
  • crudd123
    crudd123 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I had that with my first C-section but the 2nd C-section I had a different doctor and after my daughter's birth, he came in and talked to me and told me he fixed that during my surgery. I don't have that anymore! He said he tightened it up and it is so much better than after my first surgery.