Do you have a "fat day"?

Options
Do you have a day each week, or every other week where you eat whatever you want but diet the rest of the week?

Replies

• Inebriated
    Options
    No, I eat whatever I want in moderation. Every once in a while I might grab a treat with my family and end up around maintenance calories or just slightly over. Not an entire day of eating whatever, whenever.
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have a cheat day once a week, today. I take everything I crave through out the week, write it down and eat it on Saturdays. I can't have treats during the week or I always go overboard. I get back on track Sunday-Friday.
  • I eat one of whatever i want to eat for each day of the week, but moderation in quantities, like I wont have a whole cheesecake(unless i feel that calories are in very big deficit), but I will have a slice or two depending on what kind of a day it is. My diet is structured around my training protocol, as they both go hand in had when it comes to results.

1 out of every 4 days I am allowed to eat as much fat as i can(usually max out around 110g) and keep carbs as low as possible(around <160) and protein high. Ecalirs fit the bill, so I eat a whole case or 2 with some veggies lol sooo what I am saying, if it fits your macros...EAT IT
  • Thulpa
    Thulpa Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I worked at a job with very fit people, and none of us ever really got sick, so we had a running joke of calling Fat.

If you are committed, eating something off diet is not bad now and again, though then end goal should be to replace all of those terrible cravings with healthier options. Like replacing sweets with fruit, swapping out rich foods for nuts, and other ways to have the feeling of having something that you want without all the excess garbage.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    I allow myself a small treat each day, normally under 200 cals (ex: Skinny Cow, Smart Ones sundae, dark chocolate, etc.), and occasionally once a week or every couple weeks I will treat myself to a meal out, frozen yogurt with friends, cookies, candy bar, etc. and most of the time it fits in my calories for the day. I can't have a cheat day or else I will go overboard and never get back on track. And then of course, there are the special occasions or bad days where you will go over. In that case, I log it, accept it, and move on. :)
  • catisalive
    Options
    Yes, I have a cheat day once a week, today. I take everything I crave through out the week, write it down and eat it on Saturdays. I can't have treats during the week or I always go overboard. I get back on track Sunday-Friday.

I have mine on Mondays, and I'm usually set for the rest of the week.
    Even when my "fat day" comes I don't eat a ton of stuff either because i'm so used to eating good.
  • xcrushx28
    xcrushx28 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    You can do whatever you want, but "eating whatever you want" is not going to help you reach your goal if your trying to lose weight.

IFIFYM is another story... You can still have things you like, just in moderation and fitting within your macros.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Lol. Only every day of my life.
  • Silverstar46
    Silverstar46 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I have been on here for about 68 days and never had a 'fat' day. This week I have plateaued and I'm upset. So today when I was craving a grilled cheese with tomato.. I made two and added a couple slices of turkey to make it really yummy.

I splurged so much for lunch that I only have 500 calories left for dinner, but ya know.. I'm okay with that. I haven't 'been bad' for over two months and I really don't think one day of enjoying myself will hurt me. Especially since right now my body is maintaining steady despite my continued calorie watching.

I think we all need a day to just relax. There are a few people on here that follow the "Spike diet" and it gives you a day a week to eat outside your calorie limits on the premise that it jolts your body out of its routine. Many have seen results.

Whatever you do, just don't let a 'fa day' become a fat week/month. Know yourself before you decide what to do.
  • twanthe1
    twanthe1 Posts: 407
    Options
    I do it every now and again but it kinda throws me off and makes me want to binge.
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    i have a cheat day once a week..BUT, i keep in mind that if i do cheat, will i be able to burn it off the next day. Like my cheat day would be a Saturday and ill have pizza and ill count the calories and say i have 800 calories. i ask myself can i burn this off the next day? And ill run 12-15 miles to burn it off
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Haha, I thought this was gonna be about the days where nothing fits and your hair looks all wrong...that used to be my "fat day". I don't have those anymore!

But yes, I do have one day a week where I get to eat whatever I want for a meal. Usually a BIG meal. :)
  • catisalive
    Options
    Yeah, that's the good thing is it seems like the more times "fat day" comes around the less it becomes a "fat day" because I just don't want to eat junk.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Yeah, that's the good thing is it seems like the more times "fat day" comes around the less it becomes a "fat day" because I just don't want to eat junk.

Absolutely! When I've made progress all week and the big meal time comes, sometimes I'm just not interested. I also tend to have more portion control. My bf really loves those meals though haha, then regrets eating so much!
  • cheninaerin
    Options
    I don't do cheat days, because for me, this isn't a diet. Its a lifestyle change. So, when I want a reeeeeaaally cheeseburger, i'll make myself a cheeseburger, but i'll make sure it fits into my daily caloric intake and i'll make sure i'm eating other healthy things throughout the day to keep my body running smoothly.

I just feel like cheat days make me feel like i'm depriving myself the other days of the week, when i'm really not. I make really great, tasty food that is also clean and healthy- so why go for overprocessed crap if I know its going to make me feel like **** in the end?

Just my view :)
  • minnesota_deere
    minnesota_deere Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    similiar to the other post, i eat mostly what i want, i will skip something healthy to have some oreo's and milk. but i will stay with in my calorie range. i have learned 1 serving of each item becomes to much food, i cut the servings in half, so i can have other things, for instance 1 slice of sara lee 45 cal bread instead of 2 slices, full slice of colby jack cheese, 1/4 cup of cottage cheese instead of 1/2 cup. 2 oz of chicken instead of 4 ounces. like my lunch today instead of using bread, lettuce wrap with turkey, cheese, and mustard and a protein shake.. it was just fine for me and filling.
  • Nharley
    Nharley Posts: 201
    Options
    I don't schedule a fat day, but they do happen every once in a while. Last night my sil made dinner (chili) with all the fix'ns (cheese, noodles, french bread...) and the draft beer was good (they have a bar in their house) and playing wii bowling for a few hours was fun... but at the end of the evening I KNEW I tanked my calorie/ fat intake for the day. :( I'm having a bit of a guilty pity party this afternoon, because I have had a few days of not exercising on top of it all. I know that I won't release pounds doing this backwards behavior, yet there are days (like last night) I just don't want to say no to. :grumble:
  • minnesota_deere
    minnesota_deere Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I don't do cheat days, because for me, this isn't a diet. Its a lifestyle change. So, when I want a reeeeeaaally cheeseburger, i'll make myself a cheeseburger, but i'll make sure it fits into my daily caloric intake and i'll make sure i'm eating other healthy things throughout the day to keep my body running smoothly.

I just feel like cheat days make me feel like i'm depriving myself the other days of the week, when i'm really not. I make really great, tasty food that is also clean and healthy- so why go for overprocessed crap if I know its going to make me feel like **** in the end?

Just my view :)
    have you tried the turkey burger? our family loves it and is now a staple. we even use it in hamburger helper and tacos.
  • catisalive
    Options

Absolutely! When I've made progress all week and the big meal time comes, sometimes I'm just not interested. I also tend to have more portion control. My bf really loves those meals though haha, then regrets eating so much!

Oh so does mine.
    Last week he's like "IS IT FAT DAY YET? UGHH" and it was like, wed. Hahaha.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

Oh so does mine.
    Last week he's like "IS IT FAT DAY YET? UGHH" and it was like, wed. Hahaha.

Hahah! Mine gives me subtle hints..."Want to order dinner?" "I'm really craving something sweet." LOL