Paula Deen & Diabetes. Thoughts?

Options
Paula Deen came out publicly with diabetes. If you don't know who she is, she is a chef on Food Network who is known for her love of butter.

Many people are responding negatively to her coming out the disease. What are your thoughts?

Replies

• katemiddletonisawesome
    Options
    Honestly, with her size and diet, it's understandable and it was bound to happen. Still, she has had other health and mental issues in the past, and people have seemed to forget those. Regardless of every news story out there, she's still a phenomenal chef and I will always look to her for her fruit tart recipe. It's out of this world.
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I'm tired of people contributing her diabetes to her love of butter. Butter does not cause diabetes. Natural fat does not cause diabetes. I'm not saying one should eat a stick of butter a day, but I'm so tired of people making fat the culprit. Perhaps it was the mounds of flour and sugar that went into most of her recipes that gave her diabetes. :/

That said, I think that instead of medication, she should alter her diet. She's setting a bad example. However, she is a business woman. I cannot blame her for becoming a Novo Nordisk spokeswoman because of this. Either way, though, people should cut her some slack, and she should seriously ease up on the junk carbs. Just my two cents.
  • Silverstar46
    Silverstar46 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Well, I admit when I found out I kind of snorted out a laugh and said, "That's a shock!" lol

I mean, let's all face it. We are on here because we made the same mistakes Paula did. Unfortunately for her, her body said enough is enough and developed a disease that if she doesn't work hard to fix her eating habits, it will ruin her body/life and eventually kill her.

I'm actually more surprised she didn't come out and say, "I have diabetes, high cholesterol, and have had six stents put in in the last five years." I mean honestly.. all that butter has got to be killing her arteries and heart!
  • MrsCupCakeBoyle
    MrsCupCakeBoyle Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    question what type of diabetes does she have???
  • stephanielindley422
    Options
    Gracious alive, this again?
  • LATeagno
    Options

Type 2. Adult onset. As far as I know, type 1 diabetes is congenital. You can't develop it later in life (correct me if I'm wrong).
  • twanthe1
    twanthe1 Posts: 407
    Options
    She has a bad diet but I don't see an issue with coming out with it - anything that sheds light on something that kills millions of people is positive. Hopefully she can use it as a teachable moment and incorporate healthy living in her cooking.
  • nataliemae2011
    nataliemae2011 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    To be honest i am no one to pass judgement. I am overweight and working on it, my family has a history with diabetics. But i did laugh at the fact of stero-typing. She is a national sensation cook who we all know she cooks with high fat yummy foods. Put a stick of butter in anything and it will taste good! On a side note it is not very funny i couldnt even imagine how she feels. Being out there in the public and mustering up the courage to say that she has this disease must be hard. On the other hand she can take this as a advantage and teach people that there is a healthy way to cook foods that taste delicious! She could turn around and make herself healthy as well as teach it. She has the upper hand to motivate society.
  • gentsevetzak
    gentsevetzak Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Butter, as we all know, is a fickle mistress.
  • christibear
    christibear Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    She has a bad diet but I don't see an issue with coming out with it - anything that sheds light on something that kills millions of people is positive. Hopefully she can use it as a teachable moment and incorporate healthy living in her cooking.

She has had it for 2 years, if she wanted to make it a teaching moment she should have done it then, there is no doubt in my mind she kept it a secret because she knew her diet caused it, because she eats more than just butter people, and she did not want to change the way she was telling people to cook; other wise she would have.
  • MrsCupCakeBoyle
    Options

Type 2. Adult onset. As far as I know, type 1 diabetes is congenital. You can't develop it later in life (correct me if I'm wrong).

you can get type 1 any time. and type 1 is so not congenital

its a autoimmune disease.
  • DemiLaLa
    DemiLaLa Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just hope she uses this as an opportunity to educate people about how to live healthily with diabetes.
  • LATeagno
    Options

Hmmm. I wonder why type 2 is referred to as "adult onset" diabetes? I knew type one was autoimmune, I just didn't realize you could get it as an adult. I think children are typically diagnosed with it more frequently than adults. Thanks, though, I did not know. :)
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    The only thing I have to say is a-duhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
  • SnowWhite824
    Options

She has had it for 2 years, if she wanted to make it a teaching moment she should have done it then, there is no doubt in my mind she kept it a secret because she knew her diet caused it, because she eats more than just butter people, and she did not want to change the way she was telling people to cook; other wise she would have.

Its true, she did have it for several years before she came out. I agree that she didn't want people to know because she made her $$$ with a tv show cooking not so healthy foods. However, I've probably seen 95% of her shows, and though I enjoy her, and what she is making, I realize that is SOMETIMES food, not everyday food.
    Another reason people are having issues with her, is because she is not trying to be healthier, but she is pushing a drug that is supposed to control her diabetes.

Having said all this, I don't have a problem with anything she has done. If you don't like her, then don't watch her show. If you like her show, but don't want to eat her food, then don't make her food. No one is forcing anything down your throat.
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    ive watched her shows and i just cant believe how fattening some of her meals are and im not surprised that she did come down with diabetes.

All i can say is that i hopes she gets well and changes her show to help people get healthy and not wind up like her.

i read an article about Alton Brown how he lost 50lbs 2 yrs ago by changing his eating habits and wanting a healthier lifestyle. Maybe Paula should talk to Alton and get some tips from him
  • MrsCupCakeBoyle
    Options

Hmmm. I wonder why type 2 is referred to as "adult onset" diabetes? I knew type one was autoimmune, I just didn't realize you could get it as an adult. I think children are typically diagnosed with it more frequently than adults. Thanks, though, I did not know. :)

i no alot of people who have got type 1 in adulthood,
    and children can get type 2

my 5yr old has type 1. (and its nothing to do with his diet )
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    For the record, Type 1 diabetes usually has nothing to do with diet and exercise. There are a lot of healthy people that have type 1. Congenital diabetes is very rare. Type 2 is usually developed because of poor eating habits.
  • LATeagno
    Options

i no alot of people who have got type 1 in adulthood,
    and children can get type 2

my 5yr old has type 1. (and its nothing to do with his diet )

I know type 1 has nothing to do with diet. I've never met an adult who got type 1 in adulthood, but that's just me. Lots of type 2, but no type one. I assumed that since type 2 diabetes is synonymous with adult onset diabetes (it is, look it up), type one wasn't for some reason. And yes, children can get type 2 as well-- from poor eating habits. I have a dear friend who has a child with type one.
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    What I find interesting is that people are surprised by this revelation. She's a menopausal, overweight woman. Southern too.. if you know how well they can fry food, you will understand that. Butter or no butter, she's bound for Diabetes due to her diet, stress and a bevy of other things.

I'd like to see her come out with a cookbook now that will have all grilled, fresh veggies and lite fresh and fit food that still tastes good. I'd buy it. I don't think she's a hypocrite either since she's been very upfront about her love of food. You are what you eat!