Breakfast Cereal?

Options
bethrs
bethrs Posts: 664 Member
Hello All,
I love cereal for breakfast. I'm sure that fruit or something would be a better choice, but a tiger can't change her stripes. Even though I'm not willing to ditch the cereal, I would like to eat the best nutritional choice. Any suggestions? It seems that every time I check out a box of cereal that looks like it should be healthy, it's loaded with calories or sugar or carbs with no fiber. Sometimes I wind up with a kid's sugary cereal with fewer calories than the "adult" healthy cereal...
Thanks!

Replies

• naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I like Cheerios and Special K. With skim milk they aren't too bad.
  • erikazj
    erikazj Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Why not try making your own muesli? You can then cut out a lot of the processed, sugary stuff, and still have cereal. :smile: You can mix a couple of handfuls of oats with a little bit of bran, chuck in nuts, or dried fruit (even dark chocolate chips). For sweetness try grating in half an apple.

Erika
  • Isioviel
    Isioviel Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Porridge! If you make it with water and only a little milk, and add some cinnamon and nutmeg to give it a bit of flavour it tastes really really good. I sweeten with brown sugar but honey would probably work too. I can see exactly how much sugar is going in that way :). Or sugar-free museli. There's still quite a lot of sugar in it but it's from the fruit so is excusable I think!
  • Honeybunn
    Honeybunn Posts: 39
    Options
    I really like Special K and Fiber One
  • jlregan
    jlregan Posts: 9
    Options
    I love Multi-Grain Cheerios with blackberries. You're right though, cereal can pack in a lot of calories. You really have to watch the portion sizes. I recently switched to eggs and an English Muffin and it's almost 200 calories less than I was getting with cereal.
  • jenn_in_sj
    jenn_in_sj Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am big on fiber too and LOVE the new All Bran Strawberry Medley. It has 10 g of fiber per serving! It has a tiny bit of sweetness and bits of strawberry 10 g sugars for 1 cup. Not great but it's loaded with fiber and actually tastes yummy. High Fiber Crisp is another favourited. Super tasty and crunchy.
  • jodazary
    jodazary Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    i have a bowl of either special k with red berries or special k blueberry with very little ( a half cup or less) of whole milk i just cant do the skim or reduced fat milk YUCK its like drinking white water lol
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Breakfast being somewhat high calorie gives you a good start to your day, as long as the majority of what you're eating has good energy for you. So, enjoy your nutritious cereal :drinker: with some skim milk. Yummy.
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    I always eat shredded wheat. I just bought the Kashi Vanilla Island kind. It is good! A serving of that with about 4 oz of 2% milk with a medium bananna cut up in it. 346 calories. And in about 2.5-3 hours I will have Triscuits and Hummus!
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    I've been eating Kashi Honey Sunshine. It's only 100 calories per 3/4 cup, but it has 6 grams of fiber per serving. Its the first really low cal/high fiber cereal I've found. And it's good too! It reminds me of a slightly less sweet Captain Crunch, except the roof of my mouth is still intact after eating :laugh:
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Kashi Go Lean Clusters. it has higher amounts of protein so it makes you feel full longer. It is what was recommended by my nutritionist.
  • Nlongenecker
    Nlongenecker Posts: 765
    Options
    If you like hot cereal, Coco Wheats are great! I am completely addicted. I think I've had them everyday for the past 2 wks.
  • vrdz3215
    vrdz3215 Posts: 493
    Options
    I always eat shredded wheat. I just bought the Kashi Vanilla Island kind. It is good! A serving of that with about 4 oz of 2% milk with a medium bananna cut up in it. 346 calories. And in about 2.5-3 hours I will have Triscuits and Hummus!

I always eat shredded wheat as well, I prefer the Kashi Cinnamon Harvest myself. It's always best to try and with all natural or organic cereal because there isn't as much added sugar. Kashi has lots of great cereals..
  • rkmmd
    rkmmd Posts: 6
    Options
    Rasin Bran...ugg I know, but it keeps me full all morning when I do eat it.
  • vanessa915
    vanessa915 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of Kashi GoLean Crunch or Fiber One Frosted Shredded Wheat. Also the Fiber One Honey Clusters cereal is tasty. I've been known to mix half a serving of that w/ half a serving of the GoLean Crunch. Very filling with lots of fiber and protein! Even better if you slice some fresh strawberries or banana into it. YUM!

Vanessa
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Try these two...
    FiberOne's Honey Clusters: 160 calories, 1.5 g fat, 6 g sugar, and 13 g fiber
    Total's Cinnamon Crunch: 190 calories, 2.5 g fat, 9 g sugar, and 4 g fiber (but remember Total has almost 100 % of your vitamins and minerals for the day).
    I like to alternate between these two and if I'm craving something different I'll have steel cut oatmeal.
  • ThatDollSally
    ThatDollSally Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Special K is my favorite, just finished a bowl! I eat two servings (two cups) with a cup of milk and half a banana cut up into it. It's about 365 calories, but it gives me a great start to the day and it's better than what I had been eating for breakfast!
  • dnd858
    dnd858 Posts: 64
    Options
    I 'm the same way--I refuse to give up my cereal!
    I'm not even picky about what kind I like so I've been eating Corn Flakes! It has 100 Calories for 1 cup and really no sugar--I figure for how much I love to eat cereal that would be the best choice for me and it's been really good!
  • AJneuro
    AJneuro Posts: 33
    Options
    It is good to eat a lot of calories in the morning -- i think the thing to watch out for in cereals is sugar -- I remember reading somewhere that you should try to stick to cereals with less than 13 grams of sugar per serving
    I like all the special k cereals -- Special K protein plus is especially good and surpisingly pretty sweet
    I also love kashi golean and golean crunch, kashi hear to heart and basically all the kashi cereals
    Also a cereal called optimum slim by natures path
    I also like any kind of cheerios -- banana nut is so good
    kix, wheaties, shredded miniwheats
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's replies. I got some great ideas!
    :smile: