Paula Deen & Diabetes. Thoughts?

Options

Replies

• LPS1986
    LPS1986 Posts: 104
    Options
    question what type of diabetes does she have???

Type 2. Adult onset. As far as I know, type 1 diabetes is congenital. You can't develop it later in life (correct me if I'm wrong).

She does have type 2 but there is a type that is like type 1 called Latent Autoimmune Diabetes that occurs in adulthood. I am 25...guess that describes me!
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options

Type 2. Adult onset. As far as I know, type 1 diabetes is congenital. You can't develop it later in life (correct me if I'm wrong).

She does have type 2 but there is a type that is like type 1 called Latent Autoimmune Diabetes that occurs in adulthood. I am 25...guess that describes me!

Ah, yes. :) I just looked it up. Type one is a genetic autoimmune disease that usually manifests in early childhood but occasionally later in life. I knew it had nothing to do with lifestyle, just wasn't sure if adults could get it. Apparently adults can get it, but it is quite rare. Thanks! :) The more you know, right? :)
  • josiesumerlin
    Options
    She's fun to watch and I bet her food is yummy I also love the look of her cookware, however I do think she cooks very unhealthy and she is overweight but that is her issue and people don't need to attack her, it's up to her to change move on people!
  • mahupp1
    Options
    It's all about choices and moderation. If a person is looking for southern home cooking ideas, her show is among the greatest. However, we don't have to eat like that every day. Common sense has to be part of a person's personal responsibility and not someone else's. I'm curious to see what her son Bobby does with his new show "Not My Mama's cooking".
  • elcieloesazul
    elcieloesazul Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Everyone butter leave Paula Deen alone!
  • junebug182
    Options
    Paula Deen has done a serious dis-service to the public. She knew she had diabetes 3 years ago and continued to promote herself and unhealthy eating. She has came out now because she is endorsing and is a spokeswoman for a pharmaceutical company that manufactures medicine for diabetics.
    I will not support her by purchasing her products or watching her show.
  • twanthe1
    twanthe1 Posts: 407
    Options
    All and all I just want to give her a hug!

tumblr_ll2k4xjecV1qi1xcjo1_400.gif
  • nahralynn
    nahralynn Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    It didn't bother me really, I mean you kind of think "How does she not have diabetes with her diet!" while watching her show, but to hear that she's known about it for years and is only now suddenly doing something about it? She's a celebrity and celebrities are in the spotlight and influence people (obviously influential especially because of food) and could have taken that influence to do something better when she first found out. I know a lot of people I know that have talked about it have issue with the fact that now her son has a show about lightening up his moms food and stuff. I dunno if this is a way to just market more paula deen or if they honestly want to do it. If she is actually going to do something GOOD now go for it, be a role-model for people! I still won't buy any products of hers just because it's paula deen diabetes cooking pan (or rachael ray, or giada whateverhernameis) but it will be good to have another healthy cooking show (since I don't get cookingchannel!). just my opinion!
  • fatty2fabby
    fatty2fabby Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    i feel like i put on weight the second i read paula deen.
  • CurryGirl89
    Options
    I always thought paula deene was an asshat. I haven't changed my opinion - she's an asshat mother from a long line of asshats in asshat -ville . I don't like her, her food or one single thing she stands for
    Want my opinion of sarah palin?

And reported. Have your opinion, but say it in a manor that is not so disrespectful please.

I agree... I don't think the question was about your personal opinion of Paula Deene as a person, rudeness and namecalling is uncalled for :(
  • CurryGirl89
    Options
    Seriously people, no one told you to watch her show or cook her food.... it's sad she has diabetes but its her business, everyone with a brain know eating unhealthy foods will have bad consequences. So she didn't run out and announce she had diabetes the minute she found out... is it really our business anyways? If you like her cooking good for you, if you dont like it good for you too, if you hate her good for you if you love her good for you. Its really none of our business what goes on in her personal life so we shouldn't be so mean about it.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

you can get type 1 any time. and type 1 is so not congenital

its a autoimmune disease.

Hmmm. I wonder why type 2 is referred to as "adult onset" diabetes? I knew type one was autoimmune, I just didn't realize you could get it as an adult. I think children are typically diagnosed with it more frequently than adults. Thanks, though, I did not know. :)

Type one is an autoimmune disease but also considered inherited since people need to inherit risks factors from both parents. Congenital refers at what happens at the time of birth (not in the genes)

! Congenital = present at birth
    ! Inherited = heritable trait that may or
    may not be present at birt

I think that the following information will help all of us to understand the difference between both type of diabetes (frommthe diabetes Association)

Type 1 Diabetes

Definition: Insulin dependent diabetes mellitus (type 1) is an inflammatory autoimmune disease of the pancreas, resulting in a lack of insulin.

Description: Insulin is produced in the pancreas by beta cells of the islets of Langerhans. The main source of energy for all cells and especially for brain cells is glucose. Insulin is necessary for glucose to get into cells and be used for energy production. After eating, the glucose level in blood rises, which leads to insulin being released from the pancreas. In a person with IMDM, beta cells of Langerhans are damaged by autoimmune inflammation, leading to an insufficiency of insulin. The glucose level in blood rises and cells do not have enough energy for metabolism.

In most cases of type 1 diabetes, people need to inherit risk factors from both parents. We think these factors must be more common in whites because whites have the highest rate of type 1 diabetes. Because most people who are at risk do not get diabetes, researchers want to find out what the environmental triggers are.

In many people, the development of type 1 diabetes seems to take many years. In experiments that followed relatives of people with type 1 diabetes, researchers found that most of those who later got diabetes had certain autoantibodies in their blood for years before.

(Antibodies are proteins that destroy bacteria or viruses. Autoantibodies are antibodies 'gone bad,' which attack the body's own tissues.)

Type 1 diabetes is a disorder of the human immune system that makes it difficult for the body to produce insulin. Without insulin, the body cannot convert sugar from food into nutrients for cells. Excess sugar builds up in the blood stream and may eventually cause severe damage to organs and premature death.

Type 1 diabetes is a disease which can strike children and adults suddenly and requires supplemental insulin along with carefully regimented diet and exercise to manage properly.

Type 1 diabetes is generally diagnosed in children, teenagers, or young adults. Scientists do not yet know exactly what causes type 1 diabetes but believe that autoimmune, genetic, and environmental factors are involved.

Type 2 Diabetes (non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus)

Much of the food we eat is turned into sugar in the blood for our bodies to use for energy. A hormone produced by the pancreas called insulin helps sugar in our blood get into the cells of our bodies. If your body doesn’t make enough insulin or if the insulin doesn’t work the way it should, blood sugar can’t get into your cells and instead stays in your blood, raising your blood sugar level.

Type 2 diabetes has a stronger link to family history and lineage than type 1, although it too depends on environmental factors. Studies of twins have shown that genetics play a very strong role in the development of type 2 diabetes. Lifestyle also influences the development of type 2 diabetes. Obesity tends to run in families, and families tend to have similar eating and exercise habits.

If you have a family history of type 2 diabetes, it may be difficult to figure out whether your diabetes is due to lifestyle factors or genetic susceptibility. Most likely it is due to both. However, don’t lose heart. Studies show that it is possible to delay or prevent type 2 diabetes by exercising and losing weight
  • karenmi
    karenmi Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I like her personality so I was a bit surprised by her dishonesty. I saw her on Dr. Oz a few months back and he was asking to test her blood sugar because he was concerned about diabetes....she could have come clean then, but did not.

But I still find her interesting and hope that she changes her lifestyle so she can live a long time. Sadly many people diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes do not; my Mom was diagnosed at age 69 and a co-worker at age 60, and watching them struggle with the disease is a real eye-opener for me. It's amazing to me how little my Mom, who was a nurse for over 40 years, know about food & how to eat healthy. I feel very bad for them but my Mom's diagnosis inspired me to lose 50 lbs so something good came of it!
  • SnowWhite824
    Options
    Seriously people, no one told you to watch her show or cook her food.... it's sad she has diabetes but its her business, everyone with a brain know eating unhealthy foods will have bad consequences. So she didn't run out and announce she had diabetes the minute she found out... is it really our business anyways? If you like her cooking good for you, if you dont like it good for you too, if you hate her good for you if you love her good for you. Its really none of our business what goes on in her personal life so we shouldn't be so mean about it.

NOW I WELCOME ALL THE RUDE TURDS THAT WILL CALL ME NAMES FOR SAYING WHAT I HAVE SAID IN THIS POST... GO FOR IT I DON'T GIVE A FLYING FART K :)

This is pretty much exactly how I feel. Yes, she is a public figure, but is it really anyones business outside of her family members?? Its comon sence to know that eating all the food she shows in her show, day in and day out, is NOT healthy for you. Will it 100% cause diabetes? Probably not 100% but theres a darn good chance of it! We as people have to take responcibility for ourselves, and not sit here, and say "Shes a horrible person for not coming out asap!" Though you've watched her for years on tv, shes not a relative, and its really none of your business.

Now the fact that shes coming out due to the fact that she is the new face for a diabetes drug kinda puts a new spin on it though - Thoughts???
  • onesillygirl
    Options
    I think she epitomizes America: I'll eat whatever I want, have a sedentary lifestyle, get diagnosed w/ a disease caused by poor lifestyle, and take a pill to remedy the situation. Sadly, things are backwards. Instead of preventing disease in the first place, which would save a lot of money, we want the quick fix that ultimately has greater costs for individuals and society as a whole.
  • SnowWhite824
    Options
    I like her personality so I was a bit surprised by her dishonesty. I saw her on Dr. Oz a few months back and he was asking to test her blood sugar because he was concerned about diabetes....she could have come clean then, but did not.

*****But I still find her interesting and hope that she changes her lifestyle so she can live a long time.***** Sadly many people diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes do not; my Mom was diagnosed at age 69 and a co-worker at age 60, and watching them struggle with the disease is a real eye-opener for me. It's amazing to me how little my Mom, who was a nurse for over 40 years, know about food & how to eat healthy. I feel very bad for them but my Mom's diagnosis inspired me to lose 50 lbs so something good came of it!

She could still do the same show she has done for years - High fat and sugar and all - And be healthy. Just because she takes a bite of the deep fried chocolate butter shes giving you a recipe for, doesn't mean that shes not eating a carrot between takes. Just a thought.
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Just becasue she has diabetes (to me) does not mean she only has to share recipes that help her condition. She could make some of her recipes healthier but, most of what she shares are family recipes or ones she has always made and I happen to love them. It is not who she is it is what she has. I just made a pumpkin loaf from a cook book of hers last night and made it healthier , it is individual choice of how we eat and what we eat. She has every right to do things her way and if anyone says " Paula Deen gave me diabetes" or " Caused me to be unhealthy" they are right up there with the people who say " Mc donalds made me fat"
  • mochaphobic
    mochaphobic Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I am pre-diabetic and was really not surprised that she is diabetic. But what I wonder about is what changes has she made, besides not drinking sweet tea, to bring her bs numbers down into the safe range. I can almost understand why other chefs might be upset ~ she doesn't appear to have changed her cooking style at all. However, she has stated that people for years have asked for her to make healthier versions of her foods. I hope that this is the push she needs to do that. By the way, not coming out for a couple years isn't surprising to me either. People can be mad about it but it takes courage to admit that you aren't perfect, that you have an invisible disease. While it really isn't anyone's business but her own, I think that owning it publicly and withstanding the lashback from the announcement will only serve to make her a stronger and better person.
  • tialynn1
    tialynn1 Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I believe really that it isn't anyones business people's health just because they are in the public eye. But, that saying, I wish she would make it a teaching moment on how to cook healthier.
    The way some people have reacted to this news, Paula Deen is NOT the reason why so many people are overweight in this country. She did not force you to cook everything she does the way she does it. There is ways to make things that she makes and make it heealthier such as when she fries something, bake instead.
    Type 2 is more common in adults. But, an adult still can develop type 1, because my Dad was diagnosed with type 1 when he was 24 years old. He died when I was 12 years old. But, I can still remember him being rushed to hospital for diabetic shock.
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I think it is asinine to expect anyone to share their medical history and/or treatment with the world. It is none of our collective business.

Who knows, maybe she gets her insulin for free by being the spokesperson. If my husband could get his blood pressure medication for free by shilling for the company we'd be all over that, millions in the bank or not. It would still be no one else's business if my husband was attempting to fix his problem through diet and exercise or if he was relying on a pill.