WHY DO I ALWAYS BLOW IT AT DINNER????

Options
I constantly blow my entire day at dinner. Eating is def a social thing for me so when my man gets home from work and my oldest son is home from school I love dinner time we all eat and talk and I eat a ton of food b/c come on lets face it my guys are not going to eat small portions or diet food so teh amount of food I cook would feed 5 people!! Plus it good food..all the fatting comfort food with sides ect or tons of carb laden food mmm yummy... but thast whats for dinner here at my house and I have NO WILLPOWER to stay away from it. I pick while I cook and I eat and eat at dinner. I really dont know how to stop this behavior except to remove myself from the room and I cant do that, dinner is also family time! Any suggestions?

Replies

• cpafford79
    cpafford79 Posts: 88
    Options
    I am the same way!! I have 3 kids at home and they eat like horses, not to mention what my husband eats!! To help me out, we dip our plates at the stove, then sit at the table. That way the food is not right in front of us and it is not tempting to get "a little bit more". I also try and cook at least one veggie that is really low in calories (like broccoli or cauliflower) and I give my self larger portions of that versus everything else on my plate. Now, don't get me wrong....I still eat those yummy pasta roni sides....I just measure out the recommended serving size on my plate ahead of time. You would be surprised at how much 1 cup of Pasta Roni looks like! I'm not sure if any of this will help...but alteast it's some starter ideas! :happy:
  • anthrochix
    anthrochix Posts: 264
    Options
    this is what works for me:
    about an hour before i leave work, i log what i plan to eat for dinner (plus it helps to remind me if i need to stop off at the grocery store for any needed ingerdients). it helps me set limits on what i eat. also, i keep NO convenience dinner-thingies in my pantry (it used to make up the bulk of what i prepared). no rice-a-roni, no hamburger helper - none of that crapola. it forces me to cook healthy. so far, this is what i've had to do and not compromise. my husband and i still enjoy the social side of dinner together and, because of planning first, i've been enjoying it more. hope this helps.

best of luck to you on this journey :flowerforyou:
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    I will not cook any of that calorie laden bad for you food for my family. I love them all too much to clog their arteries. There is a ton of healthy tasty foods out there that would be great for a man and children. Maybe explore some new recipes so you aren't causing them weight problems in the future.
  • nhoffman08
    nhoffman08 Posts: 28
    Options
    First, cook less food...If you are the cook, you are in control of the amount of food prepared. Portion control is one of the most important things you can do. I have a large family, 4 kids and a husband, to cook for. I always made more food than we could eat, I sometimes still do. Once you've made dinner and eaten your "appropriate portion", do something else as a family such as a walk, bike ride or even a game of cards or other board game...anything but eat more food. Make sure you drink a glass of water before you eat and while you are eating. Fill your plate with more veggies than anything, they are filling and good for you!

As for picking while you eat, chew a piece of gum, suck on a hard candy(just one) or munch on the veggies instead. You don't have to make the high cal/fat foods. There are easy substitutions that will make your meals healthier. I would be more than happy to share some recipes with you. Take comfort instead in the changing health of not just you, but your family too. They will highly benefit from your efforts....Willpower, you do have it...reach in deep and pull it out. You can do it!

Don't buy or keep the empty cal foods in the house. Instead buy fruits, nuts or even popcorn, Indiana Popcorn is great, you can eat a lot for little calories. Just make sure you measure your snacks. Get a food scale, I got one cheap on ebay, it really helps.
  • ToniAnn45
    ToniAnn45 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Check out the recipes on this site. There are some great ones. What I've done is introduce one healthy recipe every week to 10 days. After dinner we discuss what we like & don't like about it & then decide if it can go into our meal rotation. Some of our input will actually improve the recipe to our tastes.

Good luck!!!:flowerforyou: :heart:
  • glendaz
    glendaz Posts: 55
    Options
    It's fine to sit and talk after dinner...just make sure the dinner is not on the table. I put the dinner on the counter, we serve ourselves, then go sit at the table. It really cuts down on getting a second helping if you have to get up and get it.
    Good luck!
  • iTim__
    iTim__ Posts: 6,823 Member
    Options
    I blow it at dinner, because I don't plan well for lunch. I love big dinners, but to do so, I have to have a small lunch. Don't know if this helps, but if you do that, you'll have more to spend on dinners. :)
  • jenn_in_sj
    jenn_in_sj Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    While I'm trying to lose weight I told my husband I wouldn't be cooking as much until I drop the first 20 pounds. We are grilling our suppers a lot and I have a side of sliced cucumber or grape tomatoes with light catalina dressing. When we grill I have low-fat turkey sausages for supper and he has his burgers or whatever he wants. We're grilling lots of chicken breasts, too. It would be harder with grown kids to feed too, though. Maybe get the BBQ going with some low-fat options for yourself and the men in your life can do steaks or burgers or whatever. Summer is the perfect time for that. : ) PS - Costco has yummy chicken/turkey sausages that are great on the BBQ
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Cook extra low cal side dishes and fill your plate with them.
    A cup of green beans, sweet peas, even a 1/2 cup of certain beans... they will fill your plate and make it full, giving you lots to put in your mouth, but not adding horribly to your calories.

When I make mac n cheese for my family of 3 (with one being a small kiddo who doesn't eat much), I premeasure how much I can have (like a 1/4 cup maybe) and fill the rest of my plate with veggies. This allows me to have that "bad" food but only a small amount. Everyone else eats their fill and that is fine.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    First, you need to vow to log each and every peice of food that you nibble on while making dinner. That will cut that out, becasue after a few days you'll get sick of it. Knowing you'll have to log it will hopefully keep you from eating it (it's the whole, holding yourself accountable thing). Also, it's a huge pain to try logging 3 crackers, or one peice of cheese, etc.

Second, healthy meals don't have to be "diet food" that your boys won't touch. My boyfriend loves junkfood but he eats all of the healthy dishes I make. I get most of my recipes from here, or from delish.com. You can also use your regular recipes by replacing some of the ingrediants, like using ground turkey instead of ground beef, reduced fat cheese instead of regular, light salad dressings instead of regular, fat free sour cream, etc.

Third, planning and portion control is the key to weightloss. Just becasue your boys eat large portions, doesn't mean you have to. Invest in a scale (about 10-20 bucks at walmart) and weigh your food and go by serving sizes on the package. Also it helps to plan everything at the beginning of the day....first thing when I get to work I log all of my meals that I plan on having and the exercise that I will do, that way if hunger strikes at 3pm, I'll know if I have enough calories to have a snack.

Finally, load up your dinner plate with veggies....then you'll need less of the main dish to feel full, and you'll have plenty to eat and snack on while you have your family time. Oh, and someone else suggested chew gum while you cook dinner so you won't pick, excellent suggestion. Who wants to pick at food when they have minty gum in their mouth?
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    I recently wrote an article about how you have to be ready to want to change your habits. Do you think it's possible you are not really ready to do this? Please know I am not trying to be mean or discouraging, just trying to help.

I tried myself way to many times to "get healthy" or lose weight because others told me I should. I would lose weight, then gain it all right back. This time I am doing it for me, my wife, and my 2 year old son. I want to be there for them.

Point being, if you are ready to do this, then the will power will be there for you. I also eat a larger dinner then my other meals (by a lot) but I stay within my goals. If I know I'm going to go over, or I want a snack, I work out for it. Last night I wanted birthday cake that my wife made for my mom. I had way to few calories left, so I went and ran over 3 miles (thinking about cake the whole time :happy: ) to make it work. Maybe give that a try. If you know you have to "work" for the extra food, you might think twice about putting it in your mouth.

Find your personal motivation, your family, yourself, that outfit you want to look great in, whatever it is. When you find it, and it's really important to you, I'll bet anything that you will get the will power you think you don't have.
  • rinalynn
    rinalynn Posts: 87
    Options
    I keep a large glass of Fresh brewed flavored Iced Green tea w/ no sugar buy my side when I cook dinner. I have two teenage boys and my husband who don't diet I make fresh meals no packaged and we serve from the stove side, I do make a huge salad and keep that on the table so as we sit and talk if we have seconds of salad it is okay. Believe it or not since I have been working on my weight and making healthier dinners they tell me how much better they feel eating it. So slowly you may see your family change along with you.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Amy has the key here - how you load your plate can do a lot.

I still make Spaghetti & meatballs & broccoli & salad & Ital bread for the gang. I'm feeding 4 big boys and they need that stuff...

In the old days I had a lot of spaghetti and bread and a nibble of the rest. Now I load up on broccoli & salad and just nibble the other stuff. I spend the full mealtime feasting with the guys, and I get up just as satisfied as before - but now it's a 400 calorie dinner instead of 1200.
  • liltnme
    liltnme Posts: 9
    Options
    thanks to all..some of made me laugh a little! Its nice to know Im not teh only one out there like this. I dont mind mot eating much during the day but I love to eat dinner and sadly it shows !!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I'll disagree with all the people that say you NEED all that heavy food. I'm a big guy, 6'2", and formerly 235 lbs (now a lean 181:tongue: ) And require a ton of calories every day just to maintain (about 2900 to maintain, PLUS I do about 400 to 600 cals exercise a day).

If I can eat healthy for dinner every day, there's no excuse for anyone else not too. Sure you may have to make slightly bigger portions, but that doesn't mean you have to load it up with simple carbs and processed white flour stuff!

There's nothing wrong with chicken, lean beef, fish, turkey, and lean pork cuts. You add a nice salad with lots of veggies, and a lite dressing, and a sweet potato, or some mashed cauliflower, or a yam, or some wild, whole grain rice, or some tabouli...etc. and that's plenty of food!

White bread's fine every once in a while, but not at every dinner. No need for it, and it's not helping you, it's empty calories, sorry but it is! I know it's tasty, but it is. Same goes for white flour pasta. I don't care how big and strong you are, white bread is filler, it does very little for you.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    So eat if you're hungry!

280 calories gets you a 2 ounce Milky Way bar ~~OR~~ about a pound of veggies ~~OR~~ An apple and an orange and a handful of grapes... You don' t have to go hungry, just eat more of the good stuff and less of the bad stuff.