So Frustrated

Options
I am having such a hard time reaching my calorie goal, but I am constantly going over my protein and sugar goal. I love chicken and apples and that seems to be the issue. I am new at this calorie counting thing and I am getti9ng very discouraged. Can someone help?:frown:

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Honestly my recommendation is to start out just working on reaching your goal. You can adjust macros after you get the portions down and calorie counts right regularly. Once you do start looking at macros, educate yourself on what foods contain the most of each and stock your fridge/pantry with healthy fats, proteins, and good carbs. Then as you plan your day you can either enter your food in advance to see where you fall and adjust before you eat, or you can adjust as you go. If I've got 200 cals left at the end of the day and I'm low on protein I would choose chicken. If I'm low on carbs I'd choose apples. Or a slice of whole grain bread. It takes practice, it's ok not to be spot on at first. This is a learning process for everyone.
  • MzGreedii
    Options
    Thanks so much, this is definitely a learning process, but one I refuse to give up on.
  • sunfyrejade
    sunfyrejade Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Calorie counting was so difficult for me in the beginning because I NEVER paid attention to what I was eating or how much. Work on reaching the goal first, and some of the macros are a little skewed. While sugar from an apple is still sugar, it is not refined sugar of a candy bar so just be patient with yourself and you'll be ok.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    You do need to eat more. How about some whole grain bread with peanut butter? Eggs? Or brown rice and beans? Load up on fresh or frozen fruits and veggies...do you like salads? My favorite salad is spinach leaves, dried cranberries, tablespoon of walnuts, and two tablespoons of crumbled blue cheese with a raspberry vinaigrette. Yum!

The more real food and the less processed food you eat the better off you'll be and the easier it is to lose weight. And watch sodium!

Good luck and keep at it...you will see progress!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    You do need to eat more. How about some whole grain bread with peanut butter? Eggs? Or brown rice and beans? Load up on fresh or frozen fruits and veggies...do you like salads? My favorite salad is spinach leaves, dried cranberries, tablespoon of walnuts, and two tablespoons of crumbled blue cheese with a raspberry vinaigrette. Yum!

The more real food and the less processed food you eat the better off you'll be and the easier it is to lose weight. And watch sodium!

Good luck and keep at it...you will see progress!

Also this. I hadn't looked at your diary-- you need to net at least 1200 cals per day. So that may help fill in some gaps for you as well. Good luck!
  • MzGreedii
    Options
    I do like salads, fruits, and vegetables. I have been the type of person that usually eats once a day at work 7pm, and then I would snack when I get home(11pm). It is so hard for me to focus on eating all day. I will include some vegetables with my dinner today.
  • mrsdauer
    mrsdauer Posts: 102
    Options
    i was finding myself upset also, because i love fruits, and along with fruit comes the dreaded sugar! i was trying to keep track of sodium, sugar, carbs, calories, fat....
    this week i have finally came to conclusion, trying to count all those numbers and worrying about seeing the negative red at the end of the day was driving me wack-o!
    maybe focus on 5-6 small meals a day, if youre eating 3-4 fruits, try cutting it to half that amount, and add in veggies.....
    remember to drink plenty of water!
    chin up, it really does get easier....before too long, you'll know what is in everything you eat without looking at the nutrition information :)
  • th2much
    th2much Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    don't get discouraged :flowerforyou: its a learning process and if you are having a go at it then you are a step closer to reaching your goal. There are lots of good advice for you here. Keep going girl you WILL succeed!!!
  • MzGreedii
    Options
    Thanks ladies. I think I also need to look into some different meal variations as well, I am so stuck on trying to keep things simple but tasty. Not really huge on bread, so I will have to work some whole grain in and not barf. These encouraging words are awesome.
  • mrsdauer
    mrsdauer Posts: 102
    Options
    hopefully your local grocery store or wal=mart will carry these, they are my new favorite thing....

eight grain or whole wheat pocket breads- i think they are around 100-110 calories, i fill them with fresh spinach, mustard, and ground turkey or chicken breast for lunch or supper.

breakfast i make scrambled egg whites, add in any veggies i have in the fridge and stuff it in the pocket bread! super yummy, you wont even think youre eating whole grain :)
  • bigmikesgirl
    bigmikesgirl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    U KNOW I AM SITTING HERE DOING THE SAME THING RIGHT NOW. BUT I LOVE SWEET TEA AND HAVEN'T HAD IT IN OVER 2 WEEKS. I HAVE LEARNED THAT 32 OZ OF HOMEMADE SWEET TEA 1 GALLON WATER WITH 1 CUP OF SUGAR DOES THE TRICK. MY SUMMERY ALWAYS SAYS I AM NOT TAKING IN ENOUPH CALORIES AND EVERYTHING ELSE IS OVER SO I AM FIXING IT WITH MY TEA. IT IS HARD BUT HEY WE R NOT GONNA GIVE UP. GOOD LUCK