Cinema Snack Dilemma

Options
Hello Everyone....
I'm in a bit of a dilemma here, going to the cinema used to be such a treat for me. I always used to get a medium sweet popcorn and a diet coke. I'm not so sure what to take now since I have discovered the joys of MFP and calorie counting.. :(
Does anyone have any suggestions please? P.s I don't like salt popcorn :(

Replies

• thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I don't ever buy snacks because they're absurdly expensive. Bring a big bag or wear something with big pockets and smuggle in some healthy snacks. I do it all the time.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Why can't you still get the popcorn? You can still eat the things you enjoy in moderation, you know.
  • woja9640
    woja9640 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Get the kids pack, it has 5 cups popcorn, the welch's fruit gummies and a bottled water.
  • ChrissieMills
    ChrissieMills Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Raisins are good to munch on, or rivita bites, or a small bad of milk buttons.

its all in moderation. to be honest the salted isnt much better! i love it! but a small is 300kcals! yikes!!
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Dunno if this is helpful but I don't eat snacks when I go to the movies. Don't feel like I focus on them enough to justify any number of calories (also I kind of lost my appetite for it when I went to a movie once with a completely gross scene and I was eating popcorn, LOL). Perhaps just get an unsweetened or diet drink and no food? It's also a problem that you can't really take your own food to the theater. :-/
  • maru84
    maru84 Posts: 128
    Options
    I've brought a baggie of whole grain cereal before, I feel bad sneaking food in though (the food's the cinema's main source of revenue). I can't think of one healthy thing at the concession stand... maybe you'd just have to save up calories for it.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    I always smuggle in my own healthy snacks! :) Or, if you can't...treat yourself to a small, or even split with someone, and drink water instead, and exercise to make sure you can fit it in. That's what I do! :)
  • ASPhantom
    ASPhantom Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Eat a healthy dinner before you go and enjoy the movie. Your tummy, your conscience, and your wallet will thank you.
  • Clever_Girl
    Options
    bring your own snacks in.
  • joanneonline
    Options
    Have you tried "Orville Redenbacher's Mini Bag Kettle Corn - 100 Calorie, 1 bag?"
  • theroadto100
    theroadto100 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I usually get mentos. Only about 150 calories a pack. Or pretzel m&ms.
  • lwestphotography
    Options
    I've honestly found an apple is a great snack to bring in my purse! You can slice it up to avoid crunchiness! It always makes me full. Plus, you can also buy the low calorie kettle corn and bring in a small amount in your purse as well! Pop it at home and you can avoid all the sugar they use at the theaters. Or, use Trader Joe's almond snack bags- the almonds fill you up and are good for you :)

And GUM- gum is always something great to feel like your eating, but your not :) haha.
  • stef_e_b
    stef_e_b Posts: 593
    Options
    I smuggle too. If you want the popcorn smart corn has less calories and you can buy it in small enough packages the its only 100 cals.
  • code156
    code156 Posts: 31
    Options
    I Can relate! Half the fun of going to the cinema is the snacking! Now when I go I try to eat less popcorn and make sure you exercise before or after. But on this plan I am definately going to the cinema less, too much tempation!
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    You can go 2 hours without eating snacks.
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    make popcorn at home and bring it in a bag. Air popped is best. I used to eat skinny cow ( before I relized they were not that great form y diet) I suck an ice cream sandwich in there. Nuts are good, pretzels, granola, if you eat the 100 calorie packs of whatever those would be alright.
  • willafan
    willafan Posts: 101
    Options
    I bring in a bag of Haribo Gummy Bears- my favorite! I sometimes also bring a bottle of water and have never been stopped at the door for it although I leave it out in plain sight. If you really want popcorn, you should treat yourself to it. Deprivation not necessary- just work out for a few extra minutes if it really bothers you that much. Enjoy the movies! Life is short.
  • livingaloha
    Options
    Good idea to smuggle your own healthy snacks in, i will also try that next time. But even if I go and have the popcorn i dont feel that bad because its something we dont do very often. For me its about a lifestyle not perfection or deprevation. when I deprive myself of everything I enjoy I know its only a matter of time before I binge or just completely give up. something Im just now beginning to learn about myself.
  • Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    i smuggle in a fruit bowl :)
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I get the $5 kids' snack pack. It's a treat, but it's cheap & small. Yes, you can go 2 hours without eating, but who WANTS to go see a movie without food? Good luck!:smile: