Any waitresses/waiters out there?

Options
How do you all deal with being around food all the time? I wait tables 3 nights a week but it is quite hard for me not to take a fry here, a fry there. Also, on the days that I work waiting tables, I am coming straight from my day job. No time inbetween to get something to eat, so I end up eating dinner after 10pm.

Any suggestions or tips?

Replies

• MZNIKKIBOO
    MZNIKKIBOO Posts: 190
    Options
    BUMP IM TAKEN A BREAK FROM THE RESTAURANT--- THE 1ST MO ON MFP I STILL WORKED THERE AND SOMETIMES WED HAVE PRE MEAL OR SOME MAYO ADDED TO SOMETHING WHEN CUST ASKED FOR NONE SO WE GOTTA EAT IT AND THEN WHEN I GOT OFF ITD BE HAPPY HOUR YEA IT WAS HARD NEEDLESS TO SAY I WAS LOOSING BUT NOT AS MUCH AS I SHOULDA BEEN NOR WAS I COMMITTED TO GETTING HEALTHY LIKE I AM NOW--- 1 THING FOR SURE WAS I FOUND 2-3 MEALS THAT WHERE HEALTHY AND WOULD STICK TO THOSE ... FOR THE MOST PART BUT IS DEF HARD!! WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT TIPS U GET ON HERE AS I AM TO GO BACK TO MY 2ND JOB IN SEPT.
  • jbucci1186
    jbucci1186 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I'm not a waiter, but i will say it's hard to kick that habit of picking on food you know you shouldn't, at least it was for me. this might be gross but sometimes I would literally put a fry in my mouth because i couldn't resist, and while I was chewing ask myself, do you REALLY want to swallow this? and sometimes i'd just spit it in the trash and go have a carrot and water, though sometimes i wouldn't haha. really, a fry here and there won't kill you, but they do add up if you don't keep yourself in check. it takes a while, but eventually, you may find yourself turned off by those kinds of food. that's what happened to me (and i've talked to other people who are now turned off by the bad foods they used to love)

also, about eating after 10pm, i personally don't believe it matters what time you eat, though i try to avoid carbs/sugars later at night and go more for protein (but i still eat some carbs). i view it as calories in vs calories out. your body doesn't know what time it is....

good luck!
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    "Self discipline is remembering what you really want" :flowerforyou: take something healthy with you eat on the way there! have a glass of water on the side .. i know its not easy
  • amicklin
    amicklin Posts: 452
    Options
    I did the same thing for a while; left the day (office job) to go to waiting tables. Teh only thing I coudl really come up with was to keep protein bars in my desk at the day job and as I was walking out the door to the waiting job to eat the protein bar. Then I would have somethign in my stomach, nto be completely starved and just make the best choices I could with the food that was available to me after my shift. ( often times I would usually go home then eat instead of eating at the restaurant but just kep it really light since it was late).
  • Meggers1022
    Meggers1022 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    bump! :)
  • Floricienta
    Floricienta Posts: 209
    Options
    I would suggest bringing something healthy to snack on your way to work, that way you wouldn't be so tempted to go for the fries! :smile:
  • brittaney10811
    brittaney10811 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    hi there!

tell me about it! I got my new "desk job" about three months ago, but before that I was a waitress at a steakhouse for four years, and they literally had almost NOTHING nutritionally good for you there!!

what i found is packing a lunch works great ... if you can't pack a lunch, take snacks that are quick to eat and will fill you up fast! such as almonds. portion out a serving of almonds, then keep them in a little ziplock bag in your apron. anytime you go to BOH (back of house) , grab a couple, drink some water, then make your way back out. I know exactly how hectic busy days are, especially holidays and whatnot. we were always on at least a two hour wait in the evenings on weekends, and about a 30-45minute wait during the week. We'd have large parties we took on alone and sections clear on the other side of the restaurant. it doesn't give much leeway to be eating a meal. but snacking Does help! if you are a little slower at work, take a lunch... grab a yogurt or fruit or string cheese or those almonds... make a small salad ahead of time, etc. A lot of people I worked with saw me taking in my own food and soon doing it themselves as well.

I hope this helps you!! :)
  • Floricienta
    Floricienta Posts: 209
    Options
    I'm not a waiter, but i will say it's hard to kick that habit of picking on food you know you shouldn't, at least it was for me. this might be gross but sometimes I would literally put a fry in my mouth because i couldn't resist, and while I was chewing ask myself, do you REALLY want to swallow this? and sometimes i'd just spit it in the trash and go have a carrot and water, though sometimes i wouldn't haha. really, a fry here and there won't kill you, but they do add up if you don't keep yourself in check. it takes a while, but eventually, you may find yourself turned off by those kinds of food. that's what happened to me (and i've talked to other people who are now turned off by the bad foods they used to love)

also, about eating after 10pm, i personally don't believe it matters what time you eat, though i try to avoid carbs/sugars later at night and go more for protein (but i still eat some carbs). i view it as calories in vs calories out. your body doesn't know what time it is....

good luck!

Just wanted to say that puppy on your profile pic is ADORABLE!!!!!!!!!!! :love: :love: :love:
  • deevo
    deevo Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    This is a tough situation, that I am also dealing with. I have a day job, and hour off in between to change outfits then bartend at night, sometimes until 2 am! That makes for a long day, without a consistent sit down and eat break. The best way to think of this is that you know the menu, the kitchen, and the cooks which can all be to your advantage. Try to decide what the healthiest things are you could eat on the menu. Then I use my friends the cook to my advantage...and they help me tweak every meal. If I was having chicken I would have them cook it in water not in butter.. They can also take bread off sandwiches and add extra veggies. If I was craving fries, I would have them put on only 6 or some small amount. Always get the salad with the dressing on the side. They always laugh or joke around, but it helps when the person who is making your food is willing to help out. I also took in my own fruits and yogurts and dressings for salad and put them in the refrigerator.
    I am the kind of person who always likes to 'pick' especially if there is down time. I like to get salads often, put the dressing on the side and sit it the waitress station or kitchen, then I pick at the salad while I work. Sometimes taking me an hour to eat a whole salad! Of course each restaurant has different rules, but tha'ts what works for me.
  • mbeth21
    mbeth21 Posts: 16
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions so far - keep them coming! I guess the best idea is to plan ahead (something I'm not so great at) and bring a protein bar or something to snack on while I am driving.

Luckily, getting a salad to eat after work is easy. The hard part is getting the salad and not the fried food that looked good!
  • Tip20
    Tip20 Posts: 10
    Options
    Hi I'm super new here! But I am looking for people in the service industry to join my group: Service Industry

We have unique challenges and I love this thread that addresses some of them. Thought we could formalize a bit in a group setting.

Nice to meet you!
    Tom