Who's Got a Heart Rate Monitor??

Options
I'm in the looking to buy a a heart rate monitor so....

What kind/ brand of heart rate monitor do you have?
On a scale of 1-10 how would you rate it's a effectiveness/ accuracy?
Is it a watch type or on that place on your chest?

Replies

• GoldenGirl1979
    GoldenGirl1979 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    i have a polar ft4 & i highly recommend it!! it's very user friendly...i give it a 10... i think it cost about $80 (can't remember exactly) & yes it's a watch w/a chest strap!

would you also like to know my government name & social security #???!!!! (just saying that's a lot of questions, LMAO)!!!!!! :laugh: :laugh:
  • 1WorkoutAtATime
    Options
    thanx, I'm gonna check it out . I guess that in a lot info I'm requesting.. :laugh:
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT60 currently.. But used a Polar FT7 in the past.

Polar FT60-10-Easy to use and Pretty accurate because it takes Vo2 into consideration.
    Polar FT7-8- Easy to use but does not use Vo2.. so some calorie burns seem kind of inflated compared to the FT60.

Both the FT60 and FT7 have Chest Straps.. Watch only styles are not accurate no matter what anyone tells you.
  • Gemini_1980
    Gemini_1980 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    i have a polar ft4 & i highly recommend it!! it's very user friendly...i give it a 10... i think it cost about $80 (can't remember exactly) & yes it's a watch w/a chest strap!

would you also like to know my government name & social security #???!!!! (just saying that's a lot of questions, LMAO)!!!!!! :laugh: :laugh:

Tehehehehehehe. I have the same one as GG and yes highly recommend the polar:bigsmile:
  • wiginn
    wiginn Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Another Polar FT60 user here. I bought it based off of recommendations I saw on this and other sites. You can compare the Polar monitors on Polar's website to find the one that has features you want.
  • YouAreTheShit
    YouAreTheShit Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • BuildABetterMe
    Options
    Watch only styles are not accurate no matter what anyone tells you.

^^^^ THIS!!!

I have the Polar FT80 and LOVE it!
  • Clinton1074
    Clinton1074 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    bump
  • amerrill1
    Options
    I got the FT60 for Christmas. I read this blog (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472) and it guided me to products that I thought would be more accurate (VO2 issues). Anyway, I have only had it a short time, but it seems very easy to work with and has a few advanced features. I mostly ride my bike nd it has the ability to add a GPS sensor and a foot pod if I choose to in the future. Polar is by far rated the best and so I haven't been dissappointed. Got it on ebay for around $120 (I think). Good luck!
  • melissaw1232
    melissaw1232 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    PolarFT4
    Happy with it although at first I thought it didnt work correctly. turns out the machines at the gym were grossly overestimating my calories burned so having the hrm was a serious eye opener.
    Id recommend it- giving it a 10 although I have nothing to compare it to- does what its supposed to do. whatmore can I ask for.
    It has a chest strap with the watch

Lastly- did anyone ever tell you that you look like LL Cool J?
    lol
    hope this helps
  • KimH313
    KimH313 Posts: 162
    Options
    I have the polar ft4 I have only had it for 3 days but I love it already,if you decide to go with that I would check into bodytronics.com, that's where I got it and it was about $62, no shipping and no tax.
  • Frumpy2Fit
    Frumpy2Fit Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • usafbeach
    usafbeach Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7 and I like it. Kinda simple design. The calorie counts it gives me are fairly consistent with what I calculate out here on MFP when I plug in my workouts.
  • MoooveOverFluffy
    MoooveOverFluffy Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    i have a Garmin F60....and love it. Although i did have to log onto Garmin website to install an update. It also comes with a USB stick that you leave plugged into your PC, and when your device is in range it automatically uploads workout data onto MyGarmin for future review....
  • beyg
    beyg Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I'm in the looking to buy a a heart rate monitor so....

What kind/ brand of heart rate monitor do you have?
    On a scale of 1-10 how would you rate it's a effectiveness/ accuracy?
    Is it a watch type or on that place on your chest?

you want the one with the chest strap. you'll get used to it. It more accurate. I had had both and ended up going back to the chest strap. It is more accurate. Polar is pretty good and you can go wrong with those. just saying!!
  • 1WorkoutAtATime
    Options
    Another Polar FT60 user here. I bought it based off of recommendations I saw on this and other sites. You can compare the Polar monitors on Polar's website to find the one that has features you want.

good info thanx
  • 1WorkoutAtATime
    Options
    I have a Polar FT60 currently.. But used a Polar FT7 in the past.

Polar FT60-10-Easy to use and Pretty accurate because it takes Vo2 into consideration.
    Polar FT7-8- Easy to use but does not use Vo2.. so some calorie burns seem kind of inflated compared to the FT60.

Both the FT60 and FT7 have Chest Straps.. Watch only styles are not accurate no matter what anyone tells you.

thanx :flowerforyou:
  • Erica002
    Erica002 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 and I love it. It does what I need it to do, it is a watch and chest strap.
  • kyrstensmom
    kyrstensmom Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin Forerunner 405CX. It is a running watch w/GPS, but also has a HRM with chest strap. The calorie burns seem to be pretty accurate, much lower than what MFP estimates and what the machines say, but today I ran 5.77 miles at 12 min mile pace and burned 477 cals (according to HRM)....it was like 900 according to MFP...I'm pretty sure the HRM is the correct read. I would never have spend the $170 on it if I just wanted a HRM, but I wanted a GPS watch for accurate run tracking and pacing.
  • 1WorkoutAtATime
    Options
    i have a Garmin F60....and love it. Although i did have to log onto Garmin website to install an update. It also comes with a USB stick that you leave plugged into your PC, and when your device is in range it automatically uploads workout data onto MyGarmin for future review....

wow , that's pretty neat..