Cinema Snack Dilemma

Options

Replies

• CourteneyLove
    CourteneyLove Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I don't ever buy snacks because they're absurdly expensive. Bring a big bag or wear something with big pockets and smuggle in some healthy snacks. I do it all the time.

this!! our purses can do so much ladies!!!!
  • orodee
    orodee Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    A lot of helpful advice...thanks everyone.
    Its just that sweet popcorn is soooooo nice and is my highlight of the entire movie trip...:sad:
    Its short notice so I can't grab any raisins or anything like that so I'm gonna sneak in some weight watchers cookies/biscuits and have water instead....and I can always grab a handful of my husband's popcorn if need be....:wink:
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Dunno if this is helpful but I don't eat snacks when I go to the movies. Don't feel like I focus on them enough to justify any number of calories (also I kind of lost my appetite for it when I went to a movie once with a completely gross scene and I was eating popcorn, LOL). Perhaps just get an unsweetened or diet drink and no food? It's also a problem that you can't really take your own food to the theater. :-/

This is the habit I've embraced - no snacks, because they're too big/expensive/not that good.
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Why can't you still get the popcorn? You can still eat the things you enjoy in moderation, you know.

yep! or try to get a smaller size or split what you would normally get with a friend

it should still be a treat to get to go, and as long as youre not having this every day its ok to splurge sometimes
  • mamaof4boyz
    Options
    treat yourself to a small. and i dont know where you live but some theaters have frozen yogurt.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    When I go to the movies, I usually get one of the giant waters and a kid sized popcorn. It helps me quell the munchie feeling and it's a little treat. After the popcorn is gone (which takes awhile cause I eat it really slow), I chew on gum. A lifestlye change doesn't have to be about deprivation, just work it into your calories for the day.
  • janjan369
    janjan369 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Yes - bring your own. A ziplock bag of grapes, carrots, nuts or sliced apples are great options. They are great to have with you at all times just in case you feel the urge to snack.
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    You can go 2 hours without eating snacks.

When you are looking for snack ideas these comments don't really help. They are more criticism than answer ( or at least looks that way). It seems this person is just starting out and would like a way to help her skip over her usual goodies. Some people on this journey are at the point where they can skip a snack but, others are not. And most people make room for healthy snacks during the day which is what it seems she is doing. It is nice to have an alternative when the people next to you are munching away on less healthy treats. If it fits into the calories for the day why not have a snack at the movies like everyone else?

on another note to the OP- I once took a bag of green beans to the movies. Not too loud and very good.
  • MindyBlack
    MindyBlack Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    I smuggle in air popped popcorn sprinkled with Kernel season's flavorings. My favorite is chili lime but they have sweet ones too. Also a luna bar and a bottle of water. I have always done this. No way I am paying those prices especially for food that is just going to get me off track with my plan.
  • XOchocolate
    XOchocolate Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Where I am from you are allow to take in snacks. A lot of people don't know that you can but I was friends with the manager and she said it was fine. It's not something they are going to advertise about of course. I like to take in bag of low fat popcorn and nibs.
  • sharonfincher1
    sharonfincher1 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    For me part of this journey is learning to live with eating the foods I enjoy. Theatre popcorn is one of them... I handle it one of a few ways. buy a small popcorn and make sure I get a good work out in to account for the extra calories... or use it as one of my splurge days where I know I am going to go a little over. I also take in a measured bowl if I am going with ppl and we normally share a large so I can portion mine out...I also have popped my own popcorn and brought that with me along with my diet drink....not only was I able to enjoy a nice snack, I saved myself about 15 bucks!
  • LastSixtySix
    LastSixtySix Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I don't ever buy snacks because they're absurdly expensive. Bring a big bag or wear something with big pockets and smuggle in some healthy snacks. I do it all the time.

Like that and have been doing the same for years. Don't like "why don't you buy the pocorn-eat in moderation." Just do a check of cinema popcorn - it is calorie-for-calorie sooo unhealthy, why even put that crap into your body anymore? You are doing all this work to clean up your body, you want to keep it clean.

Spend $27 and buy yourself a hot air-popcorn popper. You can then use the fat-free spray butter on it and sprinkle to taste your non-sugar sweetner of choice and voila! Stuff that in your big bag and you are set to enjoy your normal routine at the movies, albeit with more cash in your pocket and less sodium and fat in your body.

-Debra
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I just went last night and had a skinny cow ice cream sandwich and a small mr. pibb. didn't put me over and it was satisfying.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Almost anything is better than movie popcorn. It has a lot of oil and salt.
    We sneak in our own little bags of M&Ms. Much smaller portions than what is sold, and much much cheaper.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    You can go 2 hours without eating snacks.

When you are looking for snack ideas these comments don't really help. They are more criticism than answer ( or at least looks that way). It seems this person is just starting out and would like a way to help her skip over her usual goodies. Some people on this journey are at the point where they can skip a snack but, others are not. And most people make room for healthy snacks during the day which is what it seems she is doing. It is nice to have an alternative when the people next to you are munching away on less healthy treats. If it fits into the calories for the day why not have a snack at the movies like everyone else?

on another note to the OP- I once took a bag of green beans to the movies. Not too loud and very good.

Not everyone considers that NOT snacking is, indeed, an option. But thanks for patrolling the thread and deciding who will be helped by what comments. You read WAY too far into one simple sentence.
  • missimperfect
    missimperfect Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    air pop your own popcorn..and if you feel bad sneaking movie in still buy the diet coke. That's what I usually do. If I have the calories or am doing a spike day I go for the popcorn (medium) and split it with a friend.

My friend has taken apples..I've taken pistachios...

And if I want some candy I get fruit snacks because I LOVE fruit snacks.
  • mrzpeep1
    mrzpeep1 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I get the $5 kids' snack pack. It's a treat, but it's cheap & small. Yes, you can go 2 hours without eating, but who WANTS to go see a movie without food? Good luck!:smile:

I agree. Its part of the fun. You can still have taste of what you what just smaller portion. & you are already getting diet coke so you are fine
  • sara709
    sara709 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    bring your own snacks in.

I alllllllllllllways do this! Bring a big purse and stuff it. I like high volume foods that I can keep snacking on for the entire movie. Pop some popcorn you have at home and is within your limits. Bring dark chocolate! Bring sugar-free candy! Whatever you can stuff in that purse is fair game.

You'll feel awesome - and a little scandalous :wink:
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    get the smallest popcorn available and a diet soda, and don't finish the bag. budget calories elsewhere. that's what i do.

it's almost funny how hard they try to push the massive bag on you. i usually have to reiterate twice that i just want the small bag.
  • ixnaytheigloo
    ixnaytheigloo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    At trader joes they have individually wrapped packages of kettle corn with I belive 2.5 cups of kettle corn for just 110 calories! It's delicious too, and much cheaper than movie theatre popcorn.