POLE TREKKING OR WALKING increases calorie burn

Last year when I was working on my weight, I discovered pole walking. I just love it! Somehow it makes walking so much easier and lo & behold the twisting action with the poles slimmed down my waist area quickly. Every site I've checked on pole walking states you lose 20% more (some say as high as 44%) by using poles. Plus you work your upper body when walking.

Here is a video of how to use them properly.

http://www.mytrekkingpoles.com/

Hope some of you will be as happy with this excercise as I am. BTW...I bought my poles at Walmart and paid considerably less for them.
SuniBC
flowerforyou:

Replies

• SuniBC
    SuniBC Posts: 92
    Last year when I was working on my weight, I discovered pole walking. I just love it! Somehow it makes walking so much easier and lo & behold the twisting action with the poles slimmed down my waist area quickly. Every site I've checked on pole walking states you lose 20% more (some say as high as 44%) by using poles. Plus you work your upper body when walking.

Here is a video of how to use them properly.

http://www.mytrekkingpoles.com/

Hope some of you will be as happy with this excercise as I am. BTW...I bought my poles at Walmart and paid considerably less for them.
    SuniBC
    flowerforyou:
  • catlady
    catlady Posts: 9
    Can you use regular cross country ski poles?
  • SuniBC
    Though I'm sure it would be better than nothing....I think they maybe are too long. Your elbow should sit at a right angle....L shape to get the maximum benefit. If they are then go for it.

SuniBC
  • SuniBC
    I found this on Pole walking, Pole Trekking or Nordic Walking:

How is it Better Than Just Walking?
    For a better but easier cardio workout, nordic walking increases your heart rate without increasing your perceived rate of exertion. You get a better workout without feeling like you are working any harder. While you can get a similar heart rate effect by walking faster, there are many people who do not want to walk faster or cannot walk fast.

Upper Body Workout
    Nordic walking works the arms, shoulders and upper chest and back muscles through a full range of motion, stretching and lengthening those muscles which are often tight. The motion works to overcome the hunching forward that many people adopt while working at desks, computers, reading or watching TV. Many people exhibit stress by tightening their neck and shoulder muscles. Nordic walking loosens up those knots.

Stability and Posture
    On any surface, the poles provide more stability for walkers who have balance knee or leg problems. Proper use of the poles and arm motion encourages good posture. People who had given up walking for pleasure find that they can walk comfortably with the poles. For natural trails, the poles provide stability for walkers much like a hiking stick.

Still looking for a site which gives actual calories burned.