Chicken - need help

I love chicken but I cannot cook it. It is always dry. I need to good receipes with very detailed instructions. HELP

Replies

• Silverstar46
    Silverstar46 Posts: 187 Member
    You're probably overcooking it because you're afraid it will be raw. Get a thermometer and cook it until it says that it is safe to eat. It should come out juicy and delicious.

If you want a quick fix, make a light sauce to go on it. Tonight I wanted to do something different so I took chicken breasts, put seasonings on it and then put pineapple on top of it and wrapped it in foil packets. It had a lot of moisture and a really nice 'hawaiin' taste to it.

Another thing you could do is use boneless, skinless thighs. They have a lot more flavor and don't get dry as easy.
  • Adina81
    Adina81 Posts: 252 Member
    Bigoven.com
    Recipes.com

Watch your oven time.
    Watch your temp.
  • walkwithme1
    walkwithme1 Posts: 492 Member
    Boneless skinless chicken breasts, tenderize them, pour Italian dressing over about a 1/4-1/3 bottle for four breasts, then season heavily with Greek seasoning. Bake 375 till done. Just watch it, time depends on how thick the breasts are. Very yummy!
  • idivadi
    idivadi Posts: 222 Member
    South Beach Diet has a great recipe for Salsa Chicken. Easy and tasty. I do not like to cook but make this.
  • brandybea
    brandybea Posts: 46 Member
    can you put this in a crock pot probably sounds good?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    I concur w/ using a thermometer. Critical tool for the kitchen, along with the food scale.

Also, brining the chicken always makes it better and juicier.
  • foss44
    foss44 Posts: 119 Member
    George Foremans grills makes chicken yummy and juicy:)
  • katiebythebay
    katiebythebay Posts: 611 Member
    I love chicken but I cannot cook it. It is always dry. I need to good receipes with very detailed instructions. HELP

Quick and easy recipe for baked chicken:

Buy leg pieces (not full quarter, just the legs in bulk, bone-in.) I like Perdue, but store brand is just as good, sometimes.

Watch your expiration date and beware of the quickie sale (they're trying to get rid of it quickly, so you have to cook it that night).

Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.

Melt 1/2 cup butter (low salted, low-fat is an option.)

Take some "Italian bread crumbs" (pre-crushed) and put in gallon sized baggie.

Dip legs in melted butter, then put in bread crumb baggie and shake (yes, just like shake and bake, but cheaper).

With aluminum foil on your baking sheet (easy clean up hopefully), place the "breaded" chicken on the foil. The pieces can be right next to each other, but no touching each other. (Foil doesn't always work because of the grease, sometimes you still have a mess.)

Cook 45-50 minutes, depending if legs are plump or not so plump. Let cool, then serve.

Enjoy your meal with side of veggies (green beans and cucumber salad).

katie

ps If you actually try this recipe, let me know how it turns out. We love it.
  • I agree that youre most likely overcooking it, and also agree on the George foreman, it's practically foolproof! Pounding chicken breasts out flat and then rolling around fillings like spinach and cheese or other veggies is delicious, impressive to look at and healthy!
  • rf1170
    rf1170 Posts: 180 Member
    Good advice on here - use the thermometer! dark meat should be cooked to 170ºF, white meat to 165ºF (when inserted into the thickest part of the meat, not touching the bone). I've found that it's harder to cook boneless cuts without drying them out. I'd recommend brining (like another poster did) a whole chicken for a few hours, then butterflying it and roasting it. The butterflying helps the chicken to cook faster, and more of the skin gets exposed to the heat, which makes it crispy and delicious. If you don't finish the chicken for dinner, you can pick the meat and use it during the week for soup, chicken salad, pot pie, sandwiches and wraps, and probably a million other things. You can also save the bones for stock, which is probably the single most delicious and nutritious thing you can do for your cooking. If you're looking for some more detailed techniques, send me a message or friend me - I cook a lot of chicken, and I'd be happy to help! Good luck!
  • PositivelyFlawed
    PositivelyFlawed Posts: 316 Member
    We eat a lot of chicken and I prepare a few pieces at a time. I like my breasts moist and juicy so I put them in the oven in casserole dish with a cup or two of broth so that they are nearly covered and then cover the dish securely with tin foil and bake @ 400 for 45 mins depending on thickness and the number of them I'm cooking. When done I let them sit about 10 mins and then slice. I use chicken like this in soups, sandwiches, wraps, chop suey and stir frys. Its so moist you can brown it further in a skillet for a few mins and add a sauce while still preserving the juiciness.

Using tinfoil pouches is always great - just add Catalina, pineapple, salsa, or any marinade and individual seal breasts in tin foil. Steam keeps them very moist.

Ofc, quality matters. A nice looking plump fresh chicken breast will always be juicier than a lower quality breast.
  • Angellore
    Angellore Posts: 519 Member
    I like to poach my chicken. Bring a pan of water to the boil (you can add spices, herbs or stock to it). Once it boils add your chicken breast, turn the heat off and put the lid on the pan. If you have an electric hob remove the pan from the heat. It should be perfectly cooked and moist after about 20 minutes, but that depends on the size of the chicken - experiment with time! I use this method for all sorts of meals. Tonight i'll be adding it to a risotto.
  • Try this simple recipe:

CATALINA CHICKEN

4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    1 large onion, sliced
    1 bottle light or fat-free Catalina dressing

Heat skillet, sprayed with non-stick spray, over med-high heat. Brown chicken breasts on both sides. Top with onion slices, and Catalina dressing. Lower heat and simmer until chicken is cooked thoroughly and onions are tender. (approximately 20-25 minutes)
  • Thanks everyone! These all sound very good.